• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GlareStomper GPS Sunshades—Any Good?

gtrider

Looking for a way to cut down glare and washout so my Garmin 590LM will be easier to read. Are the GlareStomper shields any good? Does the Velcro attachment stand up to use? https://www.glarestomper.com

Thanks for any feedback or alternate suggestions.

DG

The one I had "worked" ok as far as providing a shade over the GPS, but if you ever got in a cross wind it would fold down over the face of the GPS :banghead. Also, if you decide to take it off permanently, then you have quite a bit of sticky goo from the Velcro strip. WD 40 removed it, but was a little time consuming. I think I threw mine in the trash after a while, but on the up side, it wasn't expensive.

I've had GlareStomper Shades on two GPS units on two bikes. I had one on my Garmin StreetPilot 2820 on a 2008 RT and another one on my BMW/Garmin GPS Nav V. I think they're of marginal utility, that is, helping sometimes, but otherwise not a big deal.

The purchase price is low, so perhaps it will help out occasionally. I guess this is not a ringing endorsement, eh?

Thanks for the info and links. GlareStomper says they have added a reinforcing wire around the front perimeter of the shield to help with the wind problem. I do like that the GStomper folds flat for stashing in tank bag or pannier, but I’m becoming more interested in this unit, pulled from the second thread that Kurt linked: http://www.priushood.com/garmin-zumo-590lm-sunvi590.html

Best,
DG

Thanks for the info and links. GlareStomper says they have added a reinforcing wire around the front perimeter of the shield to help with the wind problem. I do like that the GStomper folds flat for stashing in tank bag or pannier, but I’m becoming more interested in this unit, pulled from the second thread that Kurt linked: http://www.priushood.com/garmin-zumo-590lm-sunvi590.html

Best,
DG

Looking at that PriusHood piece, I think it overcomes the clear rigidity issue with the GlareStomper, but also give a lot more depth in front of the screen. I think that the more depth the better (up to a point) as the screen is more shaded from glare. The problem is that it's harder to stow away the shade.

Looks to me like you could do the same thing with a piece of thin cardboard, a piece of wire, and some tape (or velcro strip if you want to get fancy). They even show the dimensions.

(I know...the cheapest thing on a BMW... :) )

Looking for a way to cut down glare and washout so my Garmin 590LM will be easier to read. Are the GlareStomper shields any good? Does the Velcro attachment stand up to use?

DG

My experience has been that the Glarestomper doesn't fit well on the 590 due to the curved case, at least not on my 590. The Velcro needs a more flatter case edge to adhere better. The Glarestomper did work well on other Garmin models (e.g. the 660).

That said, the Glarestomper web site (I think) does show a bit of a hack to get the shield to work with the 590. Haven't tried it yet....

Used my Glarestomper in side winds of about 50 mph this weekend. Stayed on well and didn't obscure the screen at all. Of course, I'd not expect it to see much wind behind the shield and fairing of my 1200RT. Rider next to me had the same GPS. His screen was completely unreadable just about anytime the sun hit the screen. He took some photos of the Glarestomper and is ordering himself one.

I like that it folds down across the screen and is secured with Velcro strips on the sides. Makes it very low profile.

I use an antiglare cover but it's marginal at best. What irritates me is that the Zumo 550 was great in sunlight and everything since is horrible. The covers only work when the sun is at an angle. Nothing seems to work when its shining onto the screen. Then I use my hand as a shade. That's probably not the best solution.

I got a TrueVue Anti-glare for Garmin StreetPilot 2730 from lexerd.com and it helped a lot. Email them to see what they have available for your GPS instead of trying to find it on their site which isn't the most user friendly.
sales@lexerd.com

I use one of these on my Zumo 660. It's made of hard plastic and attaches with Velcro. RBNS Hoods. It's held up for the past 8 years. I usually stow mine inside of my helmet, put the helmet in a bag and lock it in my side case.

Back