• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

need a switched wire for fuse block

dpmonk

P Monk
Any suggestions for a switched wire to run the a Centec fuse block so I can hook up gps, vololights and givi running lights. I thought the rear accessory plug would do it but it reads voltage with the key switched off. Doubt the tail/brake light would work. This is a new to me 2011 R1200RT and I don't have a manual on it yet, so no wiring diagram.

can't see the obvious

Thanks Omega. I wasn't patient enough. Was thinking I should check for voltage before turning on the key tomorrow.

switched source

Any suggestions for a switched wire to run the a Centec fuse block so I can hook up gps, vololights and givi running lights. I thought the rear accessory plug would do it but it reads voltage with the key switched off. Doubt the tail/brake light would work. This is a new to me 2011 R1200RT and I don't have a manual on it yet, so no wiring diagram.

I tapped into the brake light (running light, not the one activated when you activate the brakes, if there is a difference) on my 2015 F800GT when I installed an FZ-1 FuzeBlock <http://www.fuzeblocks.com/>. Worked fine with the CanBUS for me. There probably are handier switched wires if you know what to look for. I understand some people tap into the GPS plug, if you have that.

(Currently I am using a HezEZCan on 2017 R1200GS; far less bulky, easier to tuck under back seat, but doesn't have the "always on" option that the FZ-1 FuzeBlock had, if you should need it.)

Parking light is also a good place. That's my preferred spot because it comes on with the first "click" of the key on most bikes and it also lets you run your aux lights/GPS if needed without the rest of the bike's electronics on.

For the RT, the Canbus runs the brake light at 50% for a running light, and 100% for a brake light, so that's not a great spot to tap into. Obviously, you need to be careful on how long you run your electronics without the bike actually being on.

(Edit, just read Omega's recommendations - feeling smart!)

switched power wire

I positapped into the rear accessory hot wire. The centech works perfectly. Installed my garmin, and givi running lights on trunk. Waiting on my Vololights to arrive and that will be an easy connection and am all set. Got lots of practice removing and installing body panels while installing my Wunderlich crash and bag bars. Tupperware removal is not near as bad as I thought it would be.

Back