• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1984 BMW R80RT Starter Removal Help

grosseile88

I am going to pull the starter out of my bike and have it sent off for a little tune up this winter. I was looking at it this weekend and for the life of I cant figure out how I am going to remove the bolt on left rear side of starter toward the airbox??? I can get a socket (13MM it think) and a close end wrench on it but now way I can get socket handle or any type of adaptor in there or even turn the closed end wrench. The Clymers manual I have is pretty vague when it comes to removing that bold. The bolts on front of starter on crankcase over seem pretty straight forward.

What am I missing? Thanks for the help!!

Maybe a long extension and a universal adapter with the U-adapter on the socket end of the set-up. I have several variations of the tool including a metric socket set with the U-adapters on each socket. That is what I would use to go after those starter bolts.105_3436.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for your first post...this problem faces people from time to time.

I encountered the same thing and used something like what James suggests. I also believe I ended up using a 1/4" drive set which are slightly smaller and allowed more flexibility. I believe when reinstalling, you can reverse the bolt so it's easier to get to the nut next time.

Hmmm that may be an option, the socket I was using was for a 1/2 drive. I have a 1/4 handle with a U adaptor, I will get the right size socket and go after it. I thought removing the airbox may be an option but the metal casting from the transmission is blocking the access that I was hoping for.

Thanks!!

Hmmm that may be an option, the socket I was using was for a 1/2 drive. I have a 1/4 handle with a U adaptor, I will get the right size socket and go after it. I thought removing the airbox may be an option but the metal casting from the transmission is blocking the access that I was hoping for.

Thanks!!

Not knowing how much work you do on your motorcycle I did hesitate to post this but decided, Oh what the heck!

For working on BMW motorcycles I have found a 3/8 inch drive socket set with appropriate handles and extensions to be the optimal size. I do have 1/2' sockets and 1/4 inch sockets too. I use the 3/8' stuff 90% of the time, the 1/2" set one or two percent of the time, and the little 1/4" sets the rest of the time. I have never used my 3/4" drive tools on a BMW motorcycle but there were a couple of times I wanted to use the three foot long ratchet. :)

If memory serves the nut is 13mm. I usually put the socket over the nut. There should be a hole at the rear end of the aluminum casting box. I then slip an socket extension through the hole and connect it to the socket on the nut. After that it's just a matter of using the ratchet and removing the nut. Installation is simply the reverse.

Back