Thread: First US Review of the new C-Evolution Electric Maxi-Scooter!

First US Review of the new C-Evolution Electric Maxi-Scooter!

All-

Motorcycle Consumer News received the very first C-Evolution for press review in the entire country, and I just wrapped up my 3 week review period with it. What's it like to ride electric? What about range? How long does it take to charge? What if it runs out of juice? Everything you ever wanted to know about the C-Evo is in this video, the US press' very first in-depth review on this important new model from BMW. Tune in for the nitty gritty!

-MKL

Moshe K. Levy
    Moto Mouth Moshe https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

That was a good, very comprehensive review - thanks!

While an all-electric motorcycle does not fit my needs at the moment, I am not a Luddite like many around here. I do not fear electric vehicles. My car is a plug-in hybrid. I love tooling around town in EV (electric vehicle) mode. As you mentioned, the only sound is a muted whine. And there is nothing smoother than an electric motor. I have also noticed that in EV mode, the car is "peppier" than in HV (hybrid vehicle mode) when the conventional motor is running.The range is around 40 miles, which works out very well, and is better than the claimed 25 mile range. Charge time is five and a half hours, but only if the electric range (the "plug-in partition") is fully used up.

In the last nine days, I drove over to the gas station in EV mode, filled up, and have not used a drop of gas since, despite having the car out every day to run errands and other nearby trips.

The benefit of a plug-in hybrid is of course the fact that there are no range issues - when the electric range runs out, the conventional motor is there, and being a hybrid, it will continue to switch that motor off at every opportunity and will regenerate charge. A trick I have learned is to save some electric range in the plug-in partition by choosing HV mode, so that that partition will re-charge while going downhill or slowing to exit an Interstate.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    That was a good, very comprehensive review - thanks!

While an all-electric motorcycle does not fit my needs at the moment, I am not a Luddite like many around here. I do not fear electric vehicles. My car is a plug-in hybrid. I love tooling around town in EV (electric vehicle) mode. As you mentioned, the only sound is a muted whine. And there is nothing smoother than an electric motor. I have also noticed that in EV mode, the car is "peppier" than in HV (hybrid vehicle mode) when the conventional motor is running.The range is around 40 miles, which works out very well, and is better than the claimed 25 mile range. Charge time is five and a half hours, but only if the electric range (the "plug-in partition") is fully used up.

In the last nine days, I drove over to the gas station in EV mode, filled up, and have not used a drop of gas since, despite having the car out every day to run errands and other nearby trips.

The benefit of a plug-in hybrid is of course the fact that there are no range issues - when the electric range runs out, the conventional motor is there, and being a hybrid, it will continue to switch that motor off at every opportunity and will regenerate charge. A trick I have learned is to save some electric range in the plug-in partition by choosing HV mode, so that that partition will re-charge while going downhill or slowing to exit an Interstate.
    Thanks!
    Moshe K. Levy
    Moto Mouth Moshe https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

Thanks for the good review.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT