• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel gauge, Sirius radio reception

arlyndengbrecht

2018 K1600 GTL fuel gauge will not read full, always stays one bar low, have filled on center stand, side stand, makes no difference. Radio is solid reception going south, or west, is constantly linking going north or east . Will go linking sitting at an open intersection in those directions. Can turn 180 degrees in the same location and drop 2 bars in reception. Any ideas?

Fuel not reading full

Fuel gauge reading one bar low when tank is filled is a known problem that is waiting for a solution from BMW.

Fuel gauge reading one bar low when tank is filled is a known problem that is waiting for a solution from BMW.

If you know that is the case, why is it a problem? My VStrom does that too but since I know it I don't care.

Now if it showed 2 bars when only one would be accurate, or shows a bar when you are out of gas, now that would be a real problem.

Probably because he paid a lot of money for his bike and expects it to operate correctly for at least the warranty period.

Radio is solid reception going south, or west, is constantly linking going north or east . Will go linking sitting at an open intersection in those directions. Can turn 180 degrees in the same location and drop 2 bars in reception. Any ideas?

I found an older website which might help explain how Sirius XM delivers its signal. Here's the URL: http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/sirius.html

My reception in Massachusetts seems to show that the signal is coming from what may be geosynchronous satellites near the equator. I lose the signal when in trees/rocky terrain to the south of me, but in the city (with the alleged Sirius repeater system) it's fine. Very odd.

Fuel Gauge Problem, 2018 Bagger

I'm new to the forum also, with the same fuel gauge problem, the last segment will not show when the tank is fully fueled. The local dealer did a software reload today that did not fix the problem. Now they are asking to keep the bike for a day to pull the "fuel pump and float", their words not mine.

Does anyone know what the BMW fix is for this problem/

Thanks for any information.

I'm new to the forum also, with the same fuel gauge problem, the last segment will not show when the tank is fully fueled. The local dealer did a software reload today that did not fix the problem. Now they are asking to keep the bike for a day to pull the "fuel pump and float", their words not mine.

BMW mechs just installed a new float after doing a software reload and it did not fix the fuel gauge problem.
Today (Dec 28) mechs followed a fix recommended by BMW (basically software, best I could tell). Did not fix problem.
Dec 28 was the third time the bike has been in the shop (@8hours+) for this problem without resolution.

Last edited:

Back in the old days - mid 1980s to 1990s - BMW used fuel level sending units with float arms located in the K75, K100 (except 1993-1995 models ) and K1100 bikes. They were not all identical. On some bikes the fuel light would come on with 3/4 gallon left. Others might cause the light to come on with a gallon and a half left. I preferred the light to come on with a gallon left. It was easy to reach in and slightly bend the float arm to alter the float position slightly. I got pretty good at it, although sometimes it took a try or two before I was happy.

That said, I just can't see BMW telling the techs to reach in and bend float arms. They will probably design and distribute a jig with little hooks and a thumbscrew for the purpose of "aligning" the float arm to the sending unit electronics.

Gas Gauge Blues

I understand how a bike owner who's paid $$$ for a new bike would want this gauge to read all bars but waiting for a solution is like my wife waiting on the perfect man...

I get the feeling of pulling out of the fuel station and looking down and thinking 'damn, why didn't I fill this?'. On my 2001 RT, My 2014 RT, R1200R, and my K1600GT the one bar low phenomena is/was present. The only way I can solve is to fill the tank in a manner that 'tops it off' and usually spills gas. It is not what the manual says to do. And it's not long before that bar goes away...

The only fallback I have was the questioner who called in to Car Talk and asked about this same type of problem, stating the top half of his gas tank goes quicker than the second half. Ray and Tom nailed it when they said "The only two times your gas gauge is accurate is when you fill it and when it's empty. The rest is all guessing."

Enjoy!

Bagger Fuel Repair, Bag Latches

Got the Bagger back from the shop today. The fix for the top (Full) segment not coming on was to replace the sending unit. The shop had to wait on parts from Germany, as there were no sending units in the US. They also applied a campaign to fix the bag latches. Seams some owners have had problems closing and latching the bags. Even had some reports of bags opening on the road.

Back in the old days - mid 1980s to 1990s - BMW used fuel level sending units with float arms located in the K75, K100 (except 1993-1995 models ) and K1100 bikes. They were not all identical. On some bikes the fuel light would come on with 3/4 gallon left. Others might cause the light to come on with a gallon and a half left. I preferred the light to come on with a gallon left. It was easy to reach in and slightly bend the float arm to alter the float position slightly. I got pretty good at it, although sometimes it took a try or two before I was happy.

I did the same thing on our four K75s :)

Fuel gauge Sirius

I did the same thing on our four K75s :)

My dealer ,Falcone Motor Sports, Indianapolis, IN. ,has the bike now,6/5/18, they are replacing the radio and state that BMW is aware of the fuel gauge problem. It is a software problem that. They are working to fix.

arlynshirley

Back