• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'03 K12RS Front Brake Pad Life?

jpdicarlo

Poking thru my service records just brought to my attention that that I've never changed the front brake pads on my bike: 2003 K1200RS with 46k miles. It's got the linked e-brake system. I've had the bike since 14k miles, so I'm guessing these are the original pads. I just had them out while chasing another problem, and they are still thick with plenty of life to them.
The rear pads last me about 20k miles, and I've changed them twice so far.
Do I have the super-secret lifetime pad mix that BMW didn't want to get out to the public? Did I change them and forget about it/lose the records? What kind of life are you guys seeing in your RS's front pads?

Poking thru my service records just brought to my attention that that I've never changed the front brake pads on my bike: 2003 K1200RS with 46k miles. It's got the linked e-brake system. I've had the bike since 14k miles, so I'm guessing these are the original pads. I just had them out while chasing another problem, and they are still thick with plenty of life to them.
The rear pads last me about 20k miles, and I've changed them twice so far.
Do I have the super-secret lifetime pad mix that BMW didn't want to get out to the public? Did I change them and forget about it/lose the records? What kind of life are you guys seeing in your RS's front pads?

We don't have a K1200RS but that type of pad life is consistent with Voni's R1100RS and my R1150R. The front and rear pad materials are not the same, and two disks on the front and a single on the rear contributes too.

front brake pad life

on my 98 K12RS I have stopped using the rear brake since it locked up while on the dragon in 2016....I get about 10,000 miles a set but then I'm usually going too fast...hehehe

on my 98 K12RS I have stopped using the rear brake since it locked up while on the dragon in 2016....I get about 10,000 miles a set but then I'm usually going too fast...hehehe

Is that 10k for a set of front pads, rear pads, or the full bike?
Am I correct in assuming your 98 doesn't have linked brakes like my 03?

I think the correct terminology is to say the rider locked up the rear brake, rather than saying the rear brake locked up. That is unless there was a mechanical malfunction rather than too much foot. In that case the bike needs to go to the shop. In the case of too much foot then practice is what is called for as opposed to just not using the rear brake.

Exactly so - the '98 KRS had ABS, so it's not "supposed to" lock up... either an actual mechanical malfunction, or too much foot plus mis-interpretation of what the result was...

Exactly so - the '98 KRS had ABS, so it's not "supposed to" lock up... either an actual mechanical malfunction, or too much foot plus mis-interpretation of what the result was...
We once (well, I once) downshifted one gear too many at Deal's Gap while pushing a 900 Ninja while 2-up on a K75s (I know, hard to believe but true) and the back end slid out and aligned PERFECTLY with the left hander we were going into. Then I had to repeatedly talk myself out of trying it on purpose. :)

To the OP -- FWIW, living in the western NC mountains we've gotten as little as 10k on the front brakes, but if they look good and stop good at 47 then keep going. If you bleed them take care with the rear reservoir. It's a split reservoir and it's easy to empty the inner one while looking at the outer one. BTDT. :banghead

<<If you bleed them take care with the rear reservoir. It's a split reservoir and it's easy to empty the inner one while looking at the outer one. BTDT. >>

Thanks, but I learned that brake system years ago. Actually used that knowledge to my advantage.

I was fall shopping for a winter project bike that I could repair and resell in the spring. Found a 2002 K1200RS that desperately needed some TLC. One of its faults was the flashing Brake Failure light.
PO had tried to get the bike tuned up by a mom & pop local bike shop. The shop had no idea how to bleed BMW e-brakes, and proceeded to drain the hidden rear reservoir while sucking on the rear caliper. Since the more visible half of the reservoir never dropped, they didn't add any fluid, threw up their hands and gave the bike back to the owner, who proceeded to sell it "as is."
I bought the bike for a good price, topped up the empty hidden reservoir, bled the whole system, attended to the other issues, and passed the bike on to a new owner, with a fully functioning ABS system.

Back