Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: '03 K12RS Front Brake Pad Life?

  1. #1

    '03 K12RS Front Brake Pad Life?

    Poking thru my service records just brought to my attention that that I've never changed the front brake pads on my bike: 2003 K1200RS with 46k miles. It's got the linked e-brake system. I've had the bike since 14k miles, so I'm guessing these are the original pads. I just had them out while chasing another problem, and they are still thick with plenty of life to them.
    The rear pads last me about 20k miles, and I've changed them twice so far.
    Do I have the super-secret lifetime pad mix that BMW didn't want to get out to the public? Did I change them and forget about it/lose the records? What kind of life are you guys seeing in your RS's front pads?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDiCarlo View Post
    Poking thru my service records just brought to my attention that that I've never changed the front brake pads on my bike: 2003 K1200RS with 46k miles. It's got the linked e-brake system. I've had the bike since 14k miles, so I'm guessing these are the original pads. I just had them out while chasing another problem, and they are still thick with plenty of life to them.
    The rear pads last me about 20k miles, and I've changed them twice so far.
    Do I have the super-secret lifetime pad mix that BMW didn't want to get out to the public? Did I change them and forget about it/lose the records? What kind of life are you guys seeing in your RS's front pads?
    We don't have a K1200RS but that type of pad life is consistent with Voni's R1100RS and my R1150R. The front and rear pad materials are not the same, and two disks on the front and a single on the rear contributes too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #3

    front brake pad life

    on my 98 K12RS I have stopped using the rear brake since it locked up while on the dragon in 2016....I get about 10,000 miles a set but then I'm usually going too fast...hehehe

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rileous View Post
    on my 98 K12RS I have stopped using the rear brake since it locked up while on the dragon in 2016....I get about 10,000 miles a set but then I'm usually going too fast...hehehe
    Is that 10k for a set of front pads, rear pads, or the full bike?
    Am I correct in assuming your 98 doesn't have linked brakes like my 03?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rileous View Post
    on my 98 K12RS I have stopped using the rear brake since it locked up while on the dragon in 2016....I get about 10,000 miles a set but then I'm usually going too fast...hehehe
    I think the correct terminology is to say the rider locked up the rear brake, rather than saying the rear brake locked up. That is unless there was a mechanical malfunction rather than too much foot. In that case the bike needs to go to the shop. In the case of too much foot then practice is what is called for as opposed to just not using the rear brake.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  6. #6
    MOA #24991 Pauls1150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,272
    Exactly so - the '98 KRS had ABS, so it's not "supposed to" lock up... either an actual mechanical malfunction, or too much foot plus mis-interpretation of what the result was...

  7. #7
    Registered User CABNFVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hendersonville, NC
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Exactly so - the '98 KRS had ABS, so it's not "supposed to" lock up... either an actual mechanical malfunction, or too much foot plus mis-interpretation of what the result was...
    We once (well, I once) downshifted one gear too many at Deal's Gap while pushing a 900 Ninja while 2-up on a K75s (I know, hard to believe but true) and the back end slid out and aligned PERFECTLY with the left hander we were going into. Then I had to repeatedly talk myself out of trying it on purpose.

    To the OP -- FWIW, living in the western NC mountains we've gotten as little as 10k on the front brakes, but if they look good and stop good at 47 then keep going. If you bleed them take care with the rear reservoir. It's a split reservoir and it's easy to empty the inner one while looking at the outer one. BTDT.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

  8. #8
    <>

    Thanks, but I learned that brake system years ago. Actually used that knowledge to my advantage.

    I was fall shopping for a winter project bike that I could repair and resell in the spring. Found a 2002 K1200RS that desperately needed some TLC. One of its faults was the flashing Brake Failure light.
    PO had tried to get the bike tuned up by a mom & pop local bike shop. The shop had no idea how to bleed BMW e-brakes, and proceeded to drain the hidden rear reservoir while sucking on the rear caliper. Since the more visible half of the reservoir never dropped, they didn't add any fluid, threw up their hands and gave the bike back to the owner, who proceeded to sell it "as is."
    I bought the bike for a good price, topped up the empty hidden reservoir, bled the whole system, attended to the other issues, and passed the bike on to a new owner, with a fully functioning ABS system.

Similar Threads

  1. 99 k12rs- braided brake lines
    By ducster in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2016, 04:38 PM
  2. 2004 K12RS Spiegler Steelflex Brake Line Installation
    By jurgen in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-25-2010, 10:07 PM
  3. R1200RT Front Tire Life
    By lfranklin in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 08:47 PM
  4. Shelf Life of Dot 3 Brake Fluid
    By DennisDarrow in forum Airheads
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-04-2009, 12:52 AM
  5. R1150R Rear Brake Pad Life
    By 34649 in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 02:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •