Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: '04 R1150RT ~ New Clutch ~ No Power to Rear Wheel

My bad ... just realized you were responding to kioolt's comment.

Yes, I recognize that photo now. Sadly, my friend and I are both familiar with having to replace our starters ... more than once. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by bewareboy View Post
    Not that I have tried, but could you even install the transmission and hydraulic slave cylinder/actuator with the clutch rod installed backwards without severe binding or breaking something?
    I haven't tried either but I think it's possible
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareboy View Post
    Not that I have tried, but could you even install the transmission and hydraulic slave cylinder/actuator with the clutch rod installed backwards without severe binding or breaking something?
    Well ... we did get it all back together, without feeling like we were forcing anything. (You do use a 10lb sledgehammer and piece of 2x4 to seat the transmission with the engine, right? ... LOL) We will find out for sure whether we damaged anything when we have another look at it tomorrow.

Good luck and hope that nothing is damaged that requires replacement.
    Jim "BewareBoy" Snyder
    Cincinnati, OH
    2004 R1150RT

WOOHOOOOO!!!!!

Thank you for helping and posting your suggestions!

Pulled the starter and watched the clutch engage & disengage as expected when releasing and squeezing the clutch lever respectively. From this we decided we didn't need to pull the slave cylinder just yet to look at the clutch push rod.

Removed the fill plug for the transmission and watched as we attempted to change gears. Not quite as straight-forward as it was difficult to shift with the shift lever removed but still confirmed we could change gears.

Tried turning the rear wheel to watch the transmission move ... nada ... the rear wheel moved freely but nothing in the transmission.

OK, we figured we had an issue with connecting the DS.

Removed the rear wheel and FD ... as we did, the u-joint that connects the DS to the FD input shaft kinda fall out of the assembly. We had not properly set the u-joint on the input shaft of the FD. I thought my friend had used the mallet to set that u-joint on the FD input shaft. Turns out he used the mallet to set the DS onto the transmission output shaft, a step I don't recall watching him perform.

At this point we did use the mallet to set the u-joint on the FD and listened with satisfaction to the 'clunk' as the circlip engaged on the input shaft.

Next we wanted to ensure the DS was properly connected to the transmission output shaft so we tugged on it & it wouldn't budge. We then tried to rotate it by hand but couldn't as the clutch was engaged. We disengaged the clutch and were able to rotate the DS while also watching, and listening to, the transmission.

We spent close to the next hour trying to figure out how the u-joint on the transmission output shaft was oriented as we wanted to ensure we properly phased the DS when re-installing the FD. We did mark it when we first installed it but by this point those marks had been rubbed off. We found it really difficult to determine how it was oriented until we disengaged the clutch and watched as we carefully rotated the DS.

At this point we re-installed the FD and again tested that there was a positive connection from the FD through to the clutch.

Re-installing the rear wheel, buttoning everything back up, my buddy took it for a test drive and came back with a huge smile as he was so thrilled with how the clutch performed.

Again ... Thank you for your help & suggestions!

Left Coast Rider
    Rats, I was hoping you were going to have to pull the whole thing apart. Kidding!

Congrats on finding and rectifying the issue.

'
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.