Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Audio distortion

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    305

    Audio distortion

    I've had a hard wire set up since I got my bike new, but now at speed above 4 to 4.5K it distorts. It sounds fine at lower speeds/rpm but when I hit 4-4.5k the audio sounds bad. This isn't wind noise or the volume is up too high. Any idea's? It's a 14 R1200RT

    Jay
    Last edited by strataj; 10-21-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Model/year bike added

  2. #2
    Registered User LFarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    I've had a hard wire set up since I got my bike new, but now at speed above 4 to 4.5K it distorts. It sounds fine at lower speeds/rpm but when I hit 4-4.5k the audio sounds bad. This isn't wind noise or the volume is up too high. Any idea's? It's a 14 R1200RT

    Jay
    Have you had your bikes software updated lately?

    The reason I ask is mine was recently updated and I got big noise now on my Sena SMH10B. Thing is I am not sure if it is the update to the bike for sure, but Sena to Sena is crystal clear on intercom. As soon as I go over to my memory stick and Bluetooth of the bike I got static/noise.

    I have noticed this since my bike was updated a week or two ago for the first time since 2015.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    Have you had your bikes software updated lately?

    The reason I ask is mine was recently updated and I got big noise now on my Sena SMH10B. Thing is I am not sure if it is the update to the bike for sure, but Sena to Sena is crystal clear on intercom. As soon as I go over to my memory stick and Bluetooth of the bike I got static/noise.

    I have noticed this since my bike was updated a week or two ago for the first time since 2015.
    Nope, no update for at least a year and half when the dealership replace my failing battery. My GS-911 shows no audio faults. I wonder if you're having the same issue as me? It's also present in the bike speakers, strange part it's only when I get to 4-4.5k up, bike rolling or stopped.

    Jay

  4. #4
    Registered User LFarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    197
    Well I thought I had this beat but no not to be.

    Went out yesterday and for the first few hours it was clear. Then a stop for lunch and it went to static again.

    I did restore the firmware to the Sena SHM10 that worked before and all seemed well.

    So I realized I went into breakfast and left it on. I also went into lunch and left it on. So the logic to me is the battery in the Sena may be toast and once it gets weak it starts with the static.

    Did a search and found a guy who replaced the Sena battery and so I have ordered one to see. Amazon has one for 11.98 and it will be here Wednesday.

    I will install and charge it and see if that is the issue. I had bought a dual pack and since they both do it it may be after 7 or 8 years they need a new battery?

    If not then time to try a new unit,and if there is static I would think it points to the bike and maybe the update I got a few weeks ago.

    I did check with the GS-911 and no codes in the bike so again I will see what is what after battery replacement.

    Anyone else ever have static issues with Bluetooth on a RT?
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    Well I thought I had this beat but no not to be.

    Went out yesterday and for the first few hours it was clear. Then a stop for lunch and it went to static again.

    I did restore the firmware to the Sena SHM10 that worked before and all seemed well.

    So I realized I went into breakfast and left it on. I also went into lunch and left it on. So the logic to me is the battery in the Sena may be toast and once it gets weak it starts with the static.

    Did a search and found a guy who replaced the Sena battery and so I have ordered one to see. Amazon has one for 11.98 and it will be here Wednesday.

    I will install and charge it and see if that is the issue. I had bought a dual pack and since they both do it it may be after 7 or 8 years they need a new battery?

    If not then time to try a new unit,and if there is static I would think it points to the bike and maybe the update I got a few weeks ago.

    I did check with the GS-911 and no codes in the bike so again I will see what is what after battery replacement.

    Anyone else ever have static issues with Bluetooth on a RT?
    You can test the bike by listening to the bikes speakers. I assume you wear a full face helmet so the test won't be easy. My distortion I can hear in the speakers while stopped with revs up like stated above.

    It could be the batteries in your Sena, in the past I used a Mix It, when the battery in it got low it let me know with static

    Good luck

    Jay

  6. #6
    Registered User LFarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    You can test the bike by listening to the bikes speakers. I assume you wear a full face helmet so the test won't be easy. My distortion I can hear in the speakers while stopped with revs up like stated above.

    It could be the batteries in your Sena, in the past I used a Mix It, when the battery in it got low it let me know with static

    Good luck

    Jay
    Thanks.

    I also used a Mixit but had it hardwired. That is a nice piece of equipment IMHO.

    I used it on a FJR 1300 with a I Pod, Chatterbox Bluetooth Dongle, and a SMH10 Sena and life was good.

    I will try a new battery, and a paper clip reset has been suggested to the Sena also.

    These units have been rock steady for me for 7 or 8 years and I would like to keep them.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    305
    I got my problem worked out. I learned a while ago go back to the last thing you did. I added a new audio product it turned out to be defective the vendor was great to work with. All good!

    Jay

  8. #8
    Registered User LFarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    I got my problem worked out. I learned a while ago go back to the last thing you did. I added a new audio product it turned out to be defective the vendor was great to work with. All good!

    Jay
    Great for you!

    I solved mine also by going back to the last thing I did. I installed a stubby antenna. Put the stock one back on and issue resolved.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

Similar Threads

  1. USB Audio
    By story in forum Straight 6 K1600 GT/GTL/B
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 04:13 PM
  2. Need RT Audio Manual
    By ClassicVW in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 06:51 PM
  3. GPS audio
    By arrowheadjake in forum Gear
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •