Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 14 RT low beam bulb

Not to sure about other states, but in Mass. it is illegal to alter your head lights or tail lights. I waited in line at the Reg. of motor vehicles to ask about it and I was told by a very angry employee not to change anything or I could get a ticket or fail inspection. If pulled over the officer could have my vehicle towed. I apologized for wasting her time and left scratching my head.
    John Simonds
    2016 Honda CRF 250L 2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    Not to sure about other states, but in Mass. it is illegal to alter your head lights or tail lights. I waited in line at the Reg. of motor vehicles to ask about it and I was told by a very angry employee not to change anything or I could get a ticket or fail inspection. If pulled over the officer could have my vehicle towed. I apologized for wasting her time and left scratching my head.
    Yes.....and No......It is illegal to use unapproved headlight assemblies or bulb replacements. Mostly due to light pattern changes. There are replacement headlight assemblies that ARE DOT approved and 100% legal. Mainly for cars and trucks at this time, most are LED. Legal replacement headlight. If "alter" included using a replacement bulb that was a match in every way, but a different brand, you can see how that might be a problem. So, my take on the motor vehicle employee is that they don't know the correct way to answer your question.

led

Quote Originally Posted by davagail View Post
    not sure how it works but dust cover is one and cyclops told me cover would fit with resistor installed too! time will tell
    resistor showed up and is plug and play! getting everything under dust cover is challenging but can be done!! seems to have solved the problem,haven't went for ride yet but in the garage for 15 minutes or so with high beam on no bulb failure on dash!!! fingers crossed
    2014 R1200RT
    Now gone 09 RT
    10xxx and going!
    living for riding,riding reason to live!

She seemed to be saying you could not just put a brighter bulb in the headlight and you could not have a blinking tail light. I tried finding more on line with no luck.
    John Simonds
    2016 Honda CRF 250L 2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    She seemed to be saying you could not just put a brighter bulb in the headlight and you could not have a blinking tail light. I tried finding more on line with no luck.
    re: blinking taillight, I was told the same in NYS during an inspection. First time anyone mentioned it in several inspections. I told him I installed it after this inspection.