• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT Factory Color-Matched Topcase

boborgail

I have a 2018 R1200RT in Mars Red and will be getting the BMW Topcase. On my previous RT, I had the Topcase painted to match the bike.

After some digging on the BMW Electronic Parts Catalog (International website), I found out that BMW will be offering the electrified (and expensive) Topcase in factory painted colors.

This is what BMW does for the K1600GT and it appears the part number for the Mars Red RT Topcase is the same as the K!600GT.

However, you'll see on the attached BMW offers factory-painted Topcases in Carbon Black, Alpine White, and the new colors, Blue Planet and Sparkling Storm.

The prices appears to be about the same ($1680 + lock cost) as the standard Aluminium Topcase.

View attachment RT Color Matched Topcase.pdf

The pre-2014 top cases cost less than half that and fit the wet-heads fine. Have the top lid painted. Painting the lid cost me $100.

rt14-topcase.jpg

Shop around, that price is pretty steep, one of the advertisers in Bmw magazine should be able to beat that price
I know this is apples and oranges but my local dealer sold me the small case for $399 plus lock, about 30 per cent off retail
Check Sierra, A&S or the New Jersey dealer who gives us a break in prices, cannot remember the name, sorry

I had my dealer get it painted for me. I just handed it to him and $250 bucks and a week later I got it back. Great paint job

MSRP for the non-electrified Topcase is $1390. MSRP for the electrified Topcase, factory-painted in Mars Red is $1680. That's a difference of $290.

Purchasing the basic aluminum version and having it painted Mars Red will bring the price to within $100 in cost, to the electrified Topcase.

It's worth the extra $100 as I plan on using the electrified version to power the additional brake light.

I checked with my dealer today, and he can order the Mars Red Topcase, but it will take about 2 or 3 weeks to arrive as they're not in the USA but do show in inventory in Germany.

I'll post an updated picture when it arrives.

Unless you need the capacity of the big case, the pre-2014 28L BMW OEM top case costs only $465 on Amazon and matches the bike's style well. I have one on my '16 RT painted Platinum Bronze and keyed to the bike.

After some digging on the BMW Electronic Parts Catalog (International website), I found out that BMW will be offering the electrified (and expensive) Topcase in factory painted colors.

View attachment 64646

It is about time they started offering this for the RT. Too bad they do not offer it for previous colors. Mine is Quartz Blue Metallic and I had to have it professionally painted.

Factory colors

I have a 2018 R1200RT in Mars Red and will be getting the BMW Topcase. On my previous RT, I had the Topcase painted to match the bike.

This is what BMW does for the K1600GT and it appears the part number for the Mars Red RT Topcase is the same as the K!600GT.

However, you'll see on the attached BMW offers factory-painted Topcases in Carbon Black, Alpine White, and the new colors, Blue Planet and Sparkling Storm.

The prices appears to be about the same ($1680 + lock cost) as the standard Aluminium Topcase.

View attachment 64646

Hello. I manage a BMW parts warehouse (not a dealership) and reached to the manufacturer in regard with the information in your post. There seems to be action taken in that direction, but the manufacturing of the top cases in these colors is far behind the demand. I will post an update when i get more info in that matter.

Simeon

Factory-matched Top Case Part Numbers

Hello. I manage a BMW parts warehouse (not a dealership) and reached to the manufacturer in regard with the information in your post. There seems to be action taken in that direction, but the manufacturing of the top cases in these colors is far behind the demand. I will post an update when i get more info in that matter.

Simeon

Here are the part numbers for the 2018 BMW R1200RT Factory-painted fully electrified Top Cases. Note the Mars Red color matches the 2017 K1600GT Mars Red as well, and it's the same part number per BMW.

My dealer ordered the Top Case for me but there were none in the USA. It took about 3 weeks to have one delivered from Berlin. I stopped by the other day and learned that my dealer has sold another color-matched Top Case. Here in the western USA, the parts warehouse is located in Stockton, CA, according to my dealer. His computer can determine how many are in inventory at the warehouse.

I'm happy with my Top Case and it saved me the extra cost and trouble of having it custom-painted.

Attachments

• RT Color Matched Topcase.pdf
    129 KB · Views: 60
Factory colors

Here are the part numbers for the 2018 BMW R1200RT Factory-painted fully electrified Top Cases. Note the Mars Red color matches the 2017 K1600GT Mars Red as well, and it's the same part number per BMW.

My dealer ordered the Top Case for me but there were none in the USA. It took about 3 weeks to have one delivered from Berlin. I stopped by the other day and learned that my dealer has sold another color-matched Top Case. Here in the western USA, the parts warehouse is located in Stockton, CA, according to my dealer. His computer can determine how many are in inventory at the warehouse.

I'm happy with my Top Case and it saved me the extra cost and trouble of having it custom-painted.

I love to brag about it, because i can offer a better deal :) One of the advantages to not be a dealership is to offer parts to fellow riders at a much more affordable price and in a shorter period. You already have the top case, which is great. If you need other gear, parts or equipment, give me a shout. I may be able to get you a better price. :thumb

My cell phone number is 412 313 4918. We operate out of Pittsburgh, PA. I hope it is not "illegal" to share contacts.

Simeon

cost of the Shad expanding topcase

Before you take the plunge you should consider the Shad expanding topcases. I just installed the 58 and love it. Fit's the bike well and I think they look better than OEM. It's also much, much cheaper than OEM.

What was the cost of the Shad topcase (including mount plate)? I've got a Givi V46 but sometimes need more room.

Thanks

DC

That’s about the price I paid to order the GTL top case for my RT...it’s a different white (Light White instead of the Alpine White of the RT) but I’m hoping it’s not a huge difference?

When I got the RT top case in it wasn’t color matched (was silver), wasn’t integrated into the central locking system, and had no brake light...all that I hope are remedied with the GTL case...

What was the cost of the Shad topcase (including mount plate)? I've got a Givi V46 but sometimes need more room.

Thanks

DC

I paid $550 which included mounting hardware and backrest/top cushions. I bought the carbon color. It's at my local paint shop right now. I asked him to come up with a paint design to compliment the stock San Marino blue side cases. Went on an extended trip to the west coast last month and it performed perfectly.

Brand new BMW motorcycle parts

Folks, we now offer all available colors of top cases BMW manufactures. Some of them are basic models, some are fully featured. The price usually includes a code-able cylinder and if you send your key, the cylinder will be coded to it and installed. Free installation applies for the auxiliary light, which is offered for $219.

We also offer panniers, passenger arm rest, fairing, head and rear lights, engine parts and a load of brand new BMW products for a modern motorcycle you may need.

Please call us at 412 313 4918 or email to genuinebmw@gmail.com.

Thank you and ride safe!

Simeon

Back