Thread: R1200RT Factory Color-Matched Topcase

R1200RT Factory Color-Matched Topcase

I have a 2018 R1200RT in Mars Red and will be getting the BMW Topcase. On my previous RT, I had the Topcase painted to match the bike.

After some digging on the BMW Electronic Parts Catalog (International website), I found out that BMW will be offering the electrified (and expensive) Topcase in factory painted colors.

This is what BMW does for the K1600GT and it appears the part number for the Mars Red RT Topcase is the same as the K!600GT.

However, you'll see on the attached BMW offers factory-painted Topcases in Carbon Black, Alpine White, and the new colors, Blue Planet and Sparkling Storm.

The prices appears to be about the same ($1680 + lock cost) as the standard Aluminium Topcase.

RT Color Matched Topcase.pdf

The pre-2014 top cases cost less than half that and fit the wet-heads fine. Have the top lid painted. Painting the lid cost me $100.

Jeff Dean − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    '17 R1200RT, '15 R1200RT, '67 R60/2, '69 R60US, '55 R67/3, '49 R24

Shop around, that price is pretty steep, one of the advertisers in Bmw magazine should be able to beat that price
    I know this is apples and oranges but my local dealer sold me the small case for $399 plus lock, about 30 per cent off retail
    Check Sierra, A&S or the New Jersey dealer who gives us a break in prices, cannot remember the name, sorry

I had my dealer get it painted for me. I just handed it to him and $250 bucks and a week later I got it back. Great paint job

MSRP for the non-electrified Topcase is $1390. MSRP for the electrified Topcase, factory-painted in Mars Red is $1680. That's a difference of $290.

Purchasing the basic aluminum version and having it painted Mars Red will bring the price to within $100 in cost, to the electrified Topcase.

It's worth the extra $100 as I plan on using the electrified version to power the additional brake light.

I checked with my dealer today, and he can order the Mars Red Topcase, but it will take about 2 or 3 weeks to arrive as they're not in the USA but do show in inventory in Germany.

I'll post an updated picture when it arrives.

Before you take the plunge you should consider the Shad expanding topcases. I just installed the 58 and love it. Fit's the bike well and I think they look better than OEM. It's also much, much cheaper than OEM.
    Steve
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic

DigtlArtst
    Unless you need the capacity of the big case, the pre-2014 28L BMW OEM top case costs only $465 on Amazon and matches the bike's style well. I have one on my '16 RT painted Platinum Bronze and keyed to the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by boborgail View Post
    After some digging on the BMW Electronic Parts Catalog (International website), I found out that BMW will be offering the electrified (and expensive) Topcase in factory painted colors.

RT Color Matched Topcase.pdf
    It is about time they started offering this for the RT. Too bad they do not offer it for previous colors. Mine is Quartz Blue Metallic and I had to have it professionally painted.