Thread: Battery Tender

Battery Tender

I have a Battery Tender that I have used for several years on a Yamaha 650 Vstar. Does anybody know if I can use on my 2016 R-1200 RT? Do I need to do anything special, like disconnect the battery??

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    Many of us use a battery tender, you will see a number of threads art the bottom of the page.
    My personal choice for connecting to the battery is with the battery tender (SAE) pig-tail. That setup will give you a lot of flexibility.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

You can modify the connection on the battery tender so one of those BMW plugs will work to plug into the sockets on the bike. If you use the ring terminal setup and connect it directly to your battery it gives you the flexibility to hook up one of those air compressors and/or charge your battery as the connectors on the bike are fused and will not handle the current draw of the compressors.
    I carry one of those small compressors and found extension cables that have the same connectors as the battery tender to keep on my bike along with a tire plug kit.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Concours

Powerlet connector directly wired to battery with fuse, you can use heated gear, air compressor and charger without canbus issues, on my RT and 1600 located it on right side behind rider, on buddies RT upper right fairing below factory plug, easy install just order longer pigtails
    For my money the optimate 4 or 5 is the simplest way to go

Quote Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
    You can modify the connection on the battery tender so one of those BMW plugs will work to plug into the sockets on the bike. If you use the ring terminal setup and connect it directly to your battery it gives you the flexibility to hook up one of those air compressors and/or charge your battery as the connectors on the bike are fused and will not handle the current draw of the compressors.
    I carry one of those small compressors and found extension cables that have the same connectors as the battery tender to keep on my bike along with a tire plug kit.
    That works on the Oilheads. Not the later models.......
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks