• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Telelever vs Telescopic Front Suspension

swall

Interested in hearing from those who have ridden the same model with both front suspension types. I have a, '07 R1200R and am considering a new model (also an R1200R) with the telescopic forks. I never liked the lack of feedback/feel with the Telelever when crossing RR tracks and other road irregularities. I also never liked how the bike comes to a stop with the Telelever. You don't get that final settling of the front end that tells you "OK, we are stopped, you can put your foot down". I have a 29" inseam BTW.

Interested in hearing from those who have ridden the same model with both front suspension types. I have a, '07 R1200R and am considering a new model (also an R1200R) with the telescopic forks. I never liked the lack of feedback/feel with the Telelever when crossing RR tracks and other road irregularities. I also never liked how the bike comes to a stop with the Telelever. You don't get that final settling of the front end that tells you "OK, we are stopped, you can put your foot down". I have a 29" inseam BTW.

I personally like the telelever on my R1150R. Voni likes it on her R1100RS better than the forks on her 13 year newer F800S.

But you have already said you "never liked the lack of feedback/feel with the Telelever" so it seems to me you might have answered your own question.

Paul nailed it. Some folks like the Telelever, some prefer telescopics. I'm a Telelever fan.

Don't force yourself to justify or want something you don't care for.

Last edited:
I agree with Paul, I prefer the consistency of the telelever over the front end dive of telescopic forks.

and has been said, YMMV.

Never even thought about the differences before.
Telelever on my biggest 2 bikes which just seems natural. Simple forks on my smaller bikes which also seem to work perfectly for my riding.

Interesting. I know a number of people who've passed on the new water-boxer R12R just because of the telescopic forks after test riding it. I wouldn't even consider it. I really like being able to grab a great big handful of brake when I want to stop RIGHT NOW - and not have the bike dive when I do it. It gives me more confidence in the brakes. And I've never noticed a lack of feel, but I'm not a 10-10ths rider (more like 5-10ths with an occasional drift into 7-10ths..) I normally have 1/2" chicken-strips on my rear tires, and I'm fine with that.

If you don't like telelever - well - it's gonna be your bike so do what you want to do. I have a 27" inseam on a tall day.. not that I can see what that has to do with it.

There's very little front end dive with dynamic ESA.

The front DESA suspension does work well relative to anti-dive. My rear unit is getting better with age but still has a few moments when the valving is uncertain.

Don, thanks. That was the kind of feed back I was hoping to get. Now, if we can just get someone who has actually owned/ridden both R1200R versions for an extended period of time, I would feel more comfortable about making a purchase decision.

Don, thanks. That was the kind of feed back I was hoping to get. Now, if we can just get someone who has actually owned/ridden both R1200R versions for an extended period of time, I would feel more comfortable about making a purchase decision.

The R12RS water cooled shares the same suspension design as the R12R WC. My observations are those of someone coming from a 1999 R11RS Oilhead (i.e., telelever) with aftermarket shocks (Yacaguar/Ted Porter). In addition, I'm a big fan of the Telelever design. The inherent anti-dive character of the linkage is beautiful engineering design in my opinion. However, it requires length/volume to accommodate and the R12R/R12RS were targeted at a sport market.

I have a friend I could put you in touch with.. he owns a 2011 R12R, and looked to replace it with the new water-cooled R12R. He took a test ride and came back and bought an RT (and kept his 2011 R12R) specifically because he couldn't take the dive under braking. I don't know how long his test ride on the WC R12R was - but he was quite emphatic about how he didn't like the dive, and that's the only reason he bought an RT - to stay with Telelever. He is an experienced rider - he's probably doing 20-25,000 miles this year. If you want to chat with him - PM me and I'll give you his email.

Below is a link to another R1200R forum that had a lengthy discussion about the R1200R without the Telelever. The person who started this thread has put MANY miles on a Telelever R1200R. Give it a review. I hope it helps.

If the ESA does correct for the fork dive I would prefer to have the mechanical solution , the Telelever, instead of the electronic solution, the ESA.

http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=34038

Just my 2 cents

Roger L

I'll add my own experience, 'tho it isn't with telescopic/Telelever on the same bike.

I rode /2 bikes (Earls fork) from 1973-1984, and an R65 (telescopic fork) from 1984-1988. I bought a K75S in 1988, and rode it through 1997, probably 60K miles. I upgraded the rear suspension, and liked it a lot. In '97, I saw a black R1100RSL for sale at the dealer; the bike was in good condition. I'm not a black bike fan, and said so. The dealer shrugged, and saying bodywork can be repainted, suggested I ride it.

Took it up into the Santa Cruz Mountains, narrow roads often with poor pavement. I was transfixed with delight; for me, the Telelever front end was a revelation. I got back to the dealer and bought the bike (and had them repaint the plastic, too).

My subsequent experience (R1100RSL until 2009, followed by an '07 R1200R with Wilbers shocks) is the same. I considered a new LC R twin, but decided it wasn't likely to improve my current satisfaction with the Hexhead.

Of course, YMMV. Go find bikes with both kinds of front ends, and try them.

Once we had a Ducati and a K1200RS at the same time. Both were great bikes, but vastly different. A friend asked me how the Ducati handled. This was my response.

If you are riding hard and hit a pebble mid turn the Ducati will tell you, "You just ran over a 7 sided rock measuring 3/8" x 3/4". You hit the second largest side. The pebble was thrown to the right and was not impacted by the rear tire. No other pebbles were impacted in this turn."

The RS went through a similar turn at similar speed and hit a similar small rock. The RS said, "What rock?" :dance

I found this article on Cycle World's website. It implies that the reduced "stiction" of non-telescopic forks such as girder and Hossack (Telelever) have better braking response since the front tire can follow road irregularities better:

https://www.cycleworld.com/honda-patent-reveals-possible-gold-wing-future-front-suspension

In addition to stiction problems, telescopic fork travel used by brake dive is travel not available to handle road irregularities, which is the primary purpose of the suspension.

Programming telescopic ESA to increase compression damping can reduce (actually, slow down) dive, but this also makes the ride harsh.

In contrast, a Telelever style fork controls brake dive through simple geometry. There is a little bit of dive engineered into it just so it "feels" like it is braking, but it could have been designed to stay completely level, or even rise. Keeping the bike level also helps keep weight on the rear wheel to assist with braking.

Back