• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warning: Fake Schuberth Helmet site

This site is fake:

http://schuberthhelmetsusa.com/

This site advertised deep discounts on Schuberth Helmets. A member on the R1200GS.info forum reported it as "Too good to be true."

It is, here's a response from the real Schuberth:

Hello Ian,
Thank you for your inquiry. Schuberthhelmetusa.com is not a site affiliated with SCHUBERTH at all as we have found out from others that they may be a scam taking people’s money. We are currently working on getting them taken down. Unfortunately, this is not the first time a fake site has sprouted up. www.schuberth.com will be our main website. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Brian Lee
Technical Support Manager

Very curious. It seems like a lot of trouble to set up for a scam with a fairly small market. Also, it is a market to people who are better-than-average-connected to other purchasers. So word of it being a scam is likely to spread faster than someone selling toasters for example. In consequence, customers for the scam might dry up pretty quickly.

This site is fake:

http://schuberthhelmetsusa.com/

This site advertised deep discounts on Schuberth Helmets. A member on the R1200GS.info forum reported it as "Too good to be true."

It is, here's a response from the real Schuberth:

Hello Ian,
Thank you for your inquiry. Schuberthhelmetusa.com is not a site affiliated with SCHUBERTH at all as we have found out from others that they may be a scam taking people’s money. We are currently working on getting them taken down. Unfortunately, this is not the first time a fake site has sprouted up. www.schuberth.com will be our main website. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Brian Lee
Technical Support Manager

A club member posted this site on our email list yesterday. He suspected something was screwy, but placed an order anyhow. As of today, he has received tracking info on a package that's emroute from them, so it'll be interesting to see what he receives.

A club member posted this site on our email list yesterday. He suspected something was screwy, but placed an order anyhow. As of today, he has received tracking info on a package that's emroute from them, so it'll be interesting to see what he receives.

Just curious - did your club member notice where the shipment originated? From looking at the site - I'm guessing non-USA/Canada. Perhaps Europe since ECE approval was mentioned somewhere. Or perhaps Asia?

Looking at the prices for the helmets, I think they originated out of the back of Jesse's '56 Buick. :thumb

Just curious - did your club member notice where the shipment originated? From looking at the site - I'm guessing non-USA/Canada. Perhaps Europe since ECE approval was mentioned somewhere. Or perhaps Asia?

Originated from Burlington, Wisconsin and scheduled to arrive tomorrow is the report that I just received.

I've seen a few sites that pop up to farm CC numbers that don't provide a real service or provide bogus data. One was a VIN Check service where someone would reply to an ad on Craigslist list and ask you to go to a specific site and run a VIN check and forward the fake VIN Check info to them.

They look real and are very sophisticated. They set them up collect CC numbers and if caught they re-register them and set up a new site with a different logo. These type of scams are getting more common

Schuberth says people aren't getting helmets. If they are they, might be stolen ones or fakes.

That fake site doesn't even show encryption when you go to check out (https://). If you are going to enter any personal data or CC data that is the first thing you should look for. That "s" after http is very important to securely transmit your data. Most fake sites won't go through the trouble to fake that as well. Also a quick whois check of that domain compared to the real domain provides plenty of clues.

This link gives you lots of tips if you are interested in learning about what in the world I just said.

5 Ways to Determine if a Website is Fake, Fraudulent, or a Scam

whois of fake site

whois of real site

Schuberth says people aren't getting helmets. If they are they, might be stolen ones or fakes.

I guess it's a clue that the sentence syntax and spelling is at various points not anything we learned in school. Also, note that every item in the store has "1,000 Units in Stock." Yeah, right...

Also, I wonder from which website they copied this:

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 4.57.32 PM.png

I unwrapped it a bit.. I used their contact form and asked them a few questions:

me said:

------------------------------------------------------

Can you give me the metric size equivalents for the XL and XXL. I tried on a C4 helmet this past week, and it was a 61 - which fit correctly. In the C3 helmets I normally took a 62-63.

And where are you located?

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------

Office Use Only:

And they replied:

Bogus Schuberth site said:
Hi,

We are the distributor in China. Our products are from Original Equipment Manufacture factory with top quality in the original box. Could you please tell me which item do you want to buy?
Our size is international standard, you can choose your normal size.
grace@topfashionsale.com

Since I know Schuberth manufacturers their helmets in Germany - I think we can guess that this site is bogus.

Very little on the Interwebz on "topfashionsales.com" - but the following is informative:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/topfashionsale.com

Seems the same pattern as described - bogus website, fake incorrect goods delivered. It's a scam folks. Move along.. nothing to see here.. :dance :dance :dance

Well, you may not be able to get a Schuberth helmet from these characters, but I bet they can fix you up with a stunning Louis Vuitton handbag.

Fake Schuberth helmet

Well, you may not be able to get a Schuberth helmet from these characters, but I bet they can fix you up with a stunning Louis Vuitton handbag.

If you go deep enough into the site you could probably order a stunning Louis Vuitton motorcycle helmet. :dance

Friedle
with one of those authentic German Schuberth helmets (painted to look like the Austrian flag)

From GoDaddy:

WHOIS search results

Domain Name: SCHUBERTHHELMETSUSA.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2107953117_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.publicdomainregistry.com
Registrar URL: www.publicdomainregistry.com
Updated Date: 2017-05-25T02:26:19Z
Creation Date: 2017-03-25T07:27:50Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-03-25T07:27:50Z
Registrar: PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com
Registrar IANA ID: 303
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrant Name: Francis Herrington
Registrant Organization: Francis Herrington
Registrant Street: 5 Roguski Road
Registrant City: Shreveport
Registrant State/Province: LA
Registrant Postal Code: 71101
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.3182626024
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: vxd3334723@yeah.net
Registry Admin ID: Not Available From Registry
Admin Name: Francis Herrington
Admin Organization: Francis Herrington
Admin Street: 5 Roguski Road
Admin City: Shreveport
Admin State/Province: LA
Admin Postal Code: 71101
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.3182626024
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: vxd3334723@yeah.net
Registry Tech ID: Not Available From Registry
Tech Name: Francis Herrington
Tech Organization: Francis Herrington
Tech Street: 5 Roguski Road
Tech City: Shreveport
Tech State/Province: LA
Tech Postal Code: 71101
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.3182626024
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax:
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: vxd3334723@yeah.net
Name Server: ns1.2kz.net
Name Server: ns2.2kz.net
Name Server: ns3.2kz.net
Name Server: ns4.2kz.net
DNSSEC:Unsigned
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse-contact@publicdomainregistry.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.2013775952
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2017-10-20T19:31:31Z <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp

Registration Service Provided By:
Domain Name: SCHUBERTHHELMETSUSA.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2107953117_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.publicdomainregistry.com
Registrar URL: www.publicdomainregistry.com
Updated Date: 2017-05-25T02:26:19Z
Creation Date: 2017-03-25T07:27:50Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-03-25T07:27:50Z
Registrar: PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com
Registrar IANA ID: 303
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrant Name: Francis Herrington
Registrant Organization: Francis Herrington
Registrant Street: 5 Roguski Road
Registrant City: Shreveport
Registrant State/Province: LA
Registrant Postal Code: 71101
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.3182626024
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext: