Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Warning: Fake Schuberth Helmet site

  1. #1

    Warning: Fake Schuberth Helmet site

    This site is fake:

    http://schuberthhelmetsusa.com/


    This site advertised deep discounts on Schuberth Helmets. A member on the R1200GS.info forum reported it as "Too good to be true."

    It is, here's a response from the real Schuberth:

    Hello Ian,
    Thank you for your inquiry. Schuberthhelmetusa.com is not a site affiliated with SCHUBERTH at all as we have found out from others that they may be a scam taking people’s money. We are currently working on getting them taken down. Unfortunately, this is not the first time a fake site has sprouted up. www.schuberth.com will be our main website. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.


    Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

    Brian Lee
    Technical Support Manager

  2. #2
    Barback King rapiddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Acton, SoCal just West of Hell
    Posts
    398

    Angry

    ...daaaang!....
    "...the burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind...." Larry of Arubia

  3. #3
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    237
    Thanks for the information!!
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Guadalajara, México
    Posts
    102
    Very curious. It seems like a lot of trouble to set up for a scam with a fairly small market. Also, it is a market to people who are better-than-average-connected to other purchasers. So word of it being a scam is likely to spread faster than someone selling toasters for example. In consequence, customers for the scam might dry up pretty quickly.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by anglojaxon View Post
    This site is fake:

    http://schuberthhelmetsusa.com/


    This site advertised deep discounts on Schuberth Helmets. A member on the R1200GS.info forum reported it as "Too good to be true."

    It is, here's a response from the real Schuberth:

    Hello Ian,
    Thank you for your inquiry. Schuberthhelmetusa.com is not a site affiliated with SCHUBERTH at all as we have found out from others that they may be a scam taking people’s money. We are currently working on getting them taken down. Unfortunately, this is not the first time a fake site has sprouted up. www.schuberth.com will be our main website. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.


    Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

    Brian Lee
    Technical Support Manager
    A club member posted this site on our email list yesterday. He suspected something was screwy, but placed an order anyhow. As of today, he has received tracking info on a package that's emroute from them, so it'll be interesting to see what he receives.

  6. #6
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,485
    Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    A club member posted this site on our email list yesterday. He suspected something was screwy, but placed an order anyhow. As of today, he has received tracking info on a package that's emroute from them, so it'll be interesting to see what he receives.
    Just curious - did your club member notice where the shipment originated? From looking at the site - I'm guessing non-USA/Canada. Perhaps Europe since ECE approval was mentioned somewhere. Or perhaps Asia?
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

  7. #7
    Are we there yet? tonyfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SAT - LAX
    Posts
    460
    Looking at the prices for the helmets, I think they originated out of the back of Jesse's '56 Buick.
    BMWMOA #62 / BMWRA #77
    2009 K1300 GT
    2005 R1200RT - gone
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Just curious - did your club member notice where the shipment originated? From looking at the site - I'm guessing non-USA/Canada. Perhaps Europe since ECE approval was mentioned somewhere. Or perhaps Asia?
    Originated from Burlington, Wisconsin and scheduled to arrive tomorrow is the report that I just received.

  9. #9
    Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,519
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

    Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

  10. #10
    I've seen a few sites that pop up to farm CC numbers that don't provide a real service or provide bogus data. One was a VIN Check service where someone would reply to an ad on Craigslist list and ask you to go to a specific site and run a VIN check and forward the fake VIN Check info to them.

    They look real and are very sophisticated. They set them up collect CC numbers and if caught they re-register them and set up a new site with a different logo. These type of scams are getting more common

    Schuberth says people aren't getting helmets. If they are they, might be stolen ones or fakes.

  11. #11
    Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lakeland,FL
    Posts
    1,356
    That fake site doesn't even show encryption when you go to check out (https://). If you are going to enter any personal data or CC data that is the first thing you should look for. That "s" after http is very important to securely transmit your data. Most fake sites won't go through the trouble to fake that as well. Also a quick whois check of that domain compared to the real domain provides plenty of clues.

    This link gives you lots of tips if you are interested in learning about what in the world I just said.

    5 Ways to Determine if a Website is Fake, Fraudulent, or a Scam

    whois of fake site

    whois of real site

  12. #12
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by anglojaxon View Post

    Schuberth says people aren't getting helmets. If they are they, might be stolen ones or fakes.
    I guess it's a clue that the sentence syntax and spelling is at various points not anything we learned in school. Also, note that every item in the store has "1,000 Units in Stock." Yeah, right...

    Also, I wonder from which website they copied this:

    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 4.57.32 PM.png
Views: 338
Size:  147.4 KB
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Originated from Burlington, Wisconsin and scheduled to arrive tomorrow is the report that I just received.
    Package has arrived, with what appears to be a legitimate helmet inside.

  14. #14
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    6,385
    Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Package has arrived, with what appears to be a legitimate helmet inside.
    What we have here is an enigma wrapped in a riddle.......
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  15. #15
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,485
    I unwrapped it a bit.. I used their contact form and asked them a few questions:

    Quote Originally Posted by me
    From: Don Eilenberger

    ------------------------------------------------------

    Can you give me the metric size equivalents for the XL and XXL. I tried on a C4 helmet this past week, and it was a 61 - which fit correctly. In the C3 helmets I normally took a 62-63.

    And where are you located?

    Thanks!

    ------------------------------------------------------

    Office Use Only:
    From: Don Eilenberger
    And they replied:

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogus Schuberth site
    Hi,

    We are the distributor in China. Our products are from Original Equipment Manufacture factory with top quality in the original box. Could you please tell me which item do you want to buy?
    Our size is international standard, you can choose your normal size.
    grace@topfashionsale.com
    Since I know Schuberth manufacturers their helmets in Germany - I think we can guess that this site is bogus.

    Very little on the Interwebz on "topfashionsales.com" - but the following is informative:

    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/topfashionsale.com

    Seems the same pattern as described - bogus website, fake incorrect goods delivered. It's a scam folks. Move along.. nothing to see here..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Similar Threads

  1. Schuberth S1 Helmet
    By BMWMAN1960 in forum Gear
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 02:43 AM
  2. Schuberth S1 Helmet
    By RabidHungarian in forum Gear
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 07:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •