• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

18,000 mile valve clearance check....

dughuze

I have read in several posts about the 18K service and it's expense. I've already changed my oil, FD fluid, front and rear brake pads, spark plugs and air filter. The dealer changed all the other fluids (brake, clutch lever fluid, radiator) 3 months ago at the 12K service. Others have said that it would be rare to need the valves adjusted till way later. How do you know if they need adjustment or not?

The reason I ask is that at 12K the dealer changed the oil. I just changed it (now at 17,900 miles) and found that the mechanic did not put a crush ring on and clearly did not use a torque wrench on the sump drain inside the engine. It is to be tightened to 12NM and it was so tight that I had a hard time getting it lose with a ratchet!?!?! Do I want this monkey in my engine if he cant even do an oil change correctly?

What is the danger of not doing the valve measurement? What are the symptoms if you have a maladjusted valve?

The valve check/adjustment isn't hard to do at all and there are video's on Youtube showing how it's done, or you can buy Jim Von Baden's maintenance video's to help do your own work. I used to wrench on my own oil-heads all the time and when I found out how ridiculously expensive wet heads are to maintain by the dealer, my brother and I bought a GS-911 and several tools needed to do all the work.
I refuse to pay $600 or more for a bike as none of my cars ever cost me more then $300 for maintenance. Seriously if you already did and oil change and other work you can check the valves and adjust them to.
YMMV

The valve check/adjustment isn't hard to do at all and there are video's on Youtube showing how it's done, or you can buy Jim Von Baden's maintenance video's to help do your own work. I used to wrench on my own oil-heads all the time and when I found out how ridiculously expensive wet heads are to maintain by the dealer, my brother and I bought a GS-911 and several tools needed to do all the work.
I refuse to pay $600 or more for a bike as none of my cars ever cost me more then $300 for maintenance. Seriously if you already did and oil change and other work you can check the valves and adjust them to.
YMMV

Be Careful RIDERR1150GSADV, the K1600 is not a boxer engine and is more labor intensive to check the valve clearance as drain coolant, remove radiator(good idea at this time to have it cleaned at the radiator shop), remove fuel injection rail, remove coils (6 of them) and the spark plugs and remove the valve cover.

JVB does a good job with his DVD and online video for the boxer type engine but his website does not list any information for the K1600 engines.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

Robert

Be Careful RIDERR1150GSADV, the K1600 is not a boxer engine and is more labor intensive to check the valve clearance as drain coolant, remove radiator(good idea at this time to have it cleaned at the radiator shop), remove fuel injection rail, remove coils (6 of them) and the spark plugs and remove the valve cover.

JVB does a good job with his DVD and online video for the boxer type engine but his website does not list any information for the K1600 engines.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

Robert

I wasn't aware that we were talking about a K 1600, which is indeed a different animal than the boxer motor, as I just realized in what forum I posted my reply..
Still even though it is a LOT more labor intensive, the principles remain the same...

Back