Thread: Very strange spark issue!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Very strange spark issue!

Hi all, new to the forum. I'm excited to be able to pick the brains of some very knowledgeable people.
    I was trying to diagnose an intermittent dim charging light, one that would flicker as I played with the rpm. I was checking connections everywhere, pulled the diode board and replaced it with no trouble. The bike started and ran fine AFTER I put everything back together but with the front cover off. Here's where things get strange; after I replaced the cover (I pulled the neg cable) I get no start. I check for spark and there's none. I pull the cover to trouble shoot and BAM spark! I've been able to reproduce this several times. For some reason, with the cover installed I get no spark. Now I'm far from a mechanical expert, but this just makes no sense to me. Has anyone heard of this before? I'd imagine the cover is somehow grounding something out, but I'm almost certain everything is back to where it's supposed to be.

Any help would immensely appreciated!

Most likely a pinched wire under the coverís lip. Pull it again and follow each wire. Especially around the top near the diode board, and the bottom near the points/bean cam. Looked for a wire mashed flat with the insulation missing.

Let us know what you find. A picture would help too.

Wayne

^^ What he said!

Welcome to the forum!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks for the quick replies! I feel welcome already. That's what I had figured, I'll double check things tonight and get a picture posted.

pinched wire

Most often the points wire gets pinched coming out of the points housing. If you put the cover on with the wire pinched you'll find resistance when aligning the cover flush with the engine. You might want to insert the rubber boot thingy into the cover before pushing the cover into place. It tends to stay in the cover better than just pushing it onto the front of the engine.
    Boxerbruce

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    Most often the points wire gets pinched coming out of the points housing. If you put the cover on with the wire pinched you'll find resistance when aligning the cover flush with the engine. You might want to insert the rubber boot thingy into the cover before pushing the cover into place. It tends to stay in the cover better than just pushing it onto the front of the engine.
    +1
    1973 R75/5