• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is a water cooled boxer for me?

Get the R1200RS!

I've had mine 2 1/2 years....NO Problems what so ever. Love the bike....No regrets at all
You only go around once...enjoy what the world offers up!

Thanks for the encouragement, Bob, and I may still do that. I'm impressed with the enthusiasm here, and on ADVrider, for the new machines, and I know I wouldn't worry about it like I did my car.

Road noise?

So, I test rode an R 1200 GS today. I was surprised at the amount of road noise in the wind noise when traveling at highway speed. Granted, these are not highway bikes like the RT‘s, but there will be a fair bit of highway travel in my life, by necessity – how have you found that aspect of this bike?

The RT has a lot of features, and the menu system will let you display just about anything on the dash...but you have to go through layers and layers of menu settings to find it. Or at least that's what it felt to me. Chris

Newbie talk Chris--in short order you're doing all you need to do blindly w/ the Wheel o' Fortune and rocker switch. Power, handling, comfort, ease of maintenance, GPS where you need it, and fabulous reliability...at least so far :dance

So, I test rode an R 1200 GS today. I was surprised at the amount of road noise in the wind noise when traveling at highway speed. Granted, these are not highway bikes like the RT‘s, but there will be a fair bit of highway travel in my life, by necessity – how have you found that aspect of this bike?

It's impossible to beat a well designed electric windscreen--so nice to have full control over air flow w/ a simple rocker button press.

So, I test rode an R 1200 GS today. I was surprised at the amount of road noise in the wind noise when traveling at highway speed. Granted, these are not highway bikes like the RT‘s, but there will be a fair bit of hiway travel in my life, by necessity – how have you found that aspect of this bike?

I've been battling the wind noise issue on my 2016 GSW as well. Good ear plugs/buds really help, and an aftermarket windscreen is a must; depending upon your body height, of course.
However, every other aspect of this bike is SO damn good, I'm willing to suffer that one aspect.
Loved my R1100S for over 100,000 miles, and still own it, but the new GS is unquestionably a better bike.

As great as the RTW is, a potential downside to latest bikes is that their components are so complex and parts are so expensive that a catastrophic failure out of warranty likely would be crazy expensive to repair. D-ESA shock replacement? Ouch.

I understand there are 3rd party repair services that will do the D-ESA shock replacement for around $1,100 and it will be better than OEM, or something along those lines.

So if there is a failure in the ride mode system or the engine mode system, do they default to "normal"?

This comes w/ all technology I'm afraid, and I agree it's all a relative house of cards thru and including everything from the internet, the power grid, your car, your cell phone, your TV, Equifax, the banking system, and even the nukes! I'm afraid we're all in a brave new weird world and buying a little bit of peace by trimming off very useful and desirable features brought to us by advancing tech might work for some but I think for me my best hope is to stop demanding certainty! It's a thing of the past!

As great as the RTW is, a potential downside to latest bikes is that their components are so complex and parts are so expensive that a catastrophic failure out of warranty likely would be crazy expensive to repair. D-ESA shock replacement? Ouch.

Say that to the man who's experienced a stripped spline on his oilhead.

My riding buddy decided to get a BMW, since he came off an FJR 1300(?), I helped him decide on a '15 RT. Done deal.
I've had a chance to ride it in comparo to my '17 GS. The RT is a great bike, super comfy, but to me it lacks the vicerality of the GS. Lots of cop character, but just too much of a couch to me.
Truth is, I find it a challenge to ride quickly in the turns.
The GS on the other hand is like the airheads I've owned in general behavior, made for the turns and forgiving, but lacking the old rubber cow feeling.

I'm thinking now that after 3 years my buddy only has 6K on the RT, he just might just be thinking GS...I will continue to pursue his recruitment ;)

IMG_8152-S.jpg

Answers in line in Bold

I also have a 93 GSPD albeit with fewer miles.

When did you have the transmission redone?

Trans in the bike had no circlip. I was unaware of the issue. Trans blew up at 3 am just east of Bismark, ND in 1998

You know, to add the missing circlip on the output shaft.

I learned it the hard way. Installed a replacement trans which I rebuilt myself

Any other damage that needed repairs?

Starter failed in about 2006. Replaced with a Motorrad Elektrik item. Works perfectly

How many drive shafts have you been through?

On my fourth

Upgraded charging system?

Omega from Motorrad Elektrik

I met a feller in Arkansas a couple of years back that had over 300k miles on his airhead GS. His transmission failure resulted in a $5k repair (by a BMW dealership) whilst he was on the road. He'd been through several driveshafts (around 60k miles per as I recall). Don't recall about the charging system.

The airhead philosophy is simpler is better.

Agree

Back