• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Leaky Oil Pressure Switch

WooDmEn

Where oh where can I get an oil pressure switch that remains oil-tight for more than two weeks? ‘94 GSPD.

I bought at the dealer 3-4 years ago and haven't had a problem. I've read things from Tom Cutter that suggests sealing the outside portion with something JBWeld. I'm sure Tom would be willing to sell you one that is already pre-sealed.

Switch

The leaky one is six months old. Yesterday I cleaned it with carb cleaner, blew it dry and than pasted it up with epoxy. We’ll see how well that works. It looks like the one from Euro Moto has a rubber boot, might be a better construction.

Leaky Oil Pressure Sender

I have a leaky, nay, flowing oil pressure sender. I have a new one ordered and hope it arrives before I plan to depart. Is there a compatible sender, such as a VW bug or Porsche part that will work in a pinch?

Oops, bike is a ‘94 R100GSPD. I’ve heard that there might be different threads on older Airheads v. Later models???

Any other fixes if my part does not arrive in time? I’ve tried sealing the leaky sender with epoxy. Thanx.

You might find it difficult to find a dealer who will work on an Airhead, these days; at least in my part of the world.

You might find it difficult to find a dealer who will work on an Airhead, these days; at least in my part of the world.

That is one reason I like Engle Motors in Kansas City. When we stopped in there last month they were installing a rear crankshaft seal on an R60/2.

And, if I asked a dealership to screw in an oil pressure sending unit and reattach the wire and they wouldn't or couldn't, they don't deserve to have a Roundel of their sign. Some things, yeah I understand. That - no way.

The leaky one is six months old. Yesterday I cleaned it with carb cleaner, blew it dry and than pasted it up with epoxy. We’ll see how well that works. It looks like the one from Euro Moto has a rubber boot, might be a better construction.

Sorry to say but it won't work. The only way to get the OEM oil pressure switches to not leak is to seal them when they are brand new. Even with a thorough cleaning once they've had _any_ oil on them JB Well will not hold for long and they will eventally start seeping again. DAMHIK.

Tom Cutter sells already sealed ones. I believe he uses a green wicking type loctite first and then after 24hrs of curing he seals them again with paint. They do not leak after this treatment.

I have not tried the EME switches; only BMW OEM and the Moto Bins ones which are the same as what Siedenbrock sells for a lot more methinks. They all seem to leak unless they are sealed when brand spanking new.

That is one reason I like Engle Motors in Kansas City. When we stopped in there last month they were installing a rear crankshaft seal on an R60/2.

And, if I asked a dealership to screw in an oil pressure sending unit and reattach the wire and they wouldn't or couldn't, they don't deserve to have a Roundel of their sign. Some things, yeah I understand. That - no way.

Don't ever go to our Vancouver dealer. I am not sure they will even touch an oilhead at this point but I know they will not work on airheads. At all...
They just send everyone to Shail's Motorcycles out in Langley. He stocks loads of parts and is a factory trained BMW mechanic who used to work for Vanouver BMW many moons ago and actually had a BMW dealership briefly but corporate demands on inventory minimums and stupid crap like repainting the shop in BMW approved colours finally drove him away. He has had his own BMW business for many years now. If he ever closes we're really screwed around here...

Don't ever go to our Vancouver dealer. I am not sure they will even touch an oilhead at this point but I know they will not work on airheads. At all...
They just send everyone to Shail's Motorcycles out in Langley. He stocks loads of parts and is a factory trained BMW mechanic who used to work for Vanouver BMW many moons ago and actually had a BMW dealership briefly but corporate demands on inventory minimums and stupid crap like repainting the shop in BMW approved colours finally drove him away. He has had his own BMW business for many years now. If he ever closes we're really screwed around here...

I promise to remember that.

VDO sender

For 20 years + I've had a VDO sender.....2 lugs.....one for light....one for oil pressure gauge.........NEVER had a leak:thumb

Dat U

For 20 years + I've had a VDO sender.....2 lugs.....one for light....one for oil pressure gauge.........NEVER had a leak:thumb[/QUOTE

I once knew a Shep Brown from Sebring FL. Had an Airhead RS. Zat U?

Roger Wiles, Florida escapee 15 years now

I once knew a Shep Brown from Sebring FL. Had an Airhead RS. Zat U?

Roger Wiles, Florida escapee 15 years now

Go up to Community > Member List at the top of the page and search for Brownie. Should be able to see the About Me page.

Anyone know if Tom is still selling the sealed oil pressure switches?

Tom just had open heart surgery and is not able for a while to do serious repair work. Thus a loss of income. I'm sure he would like to make what he can selling kits and parts and such. Call or email him.

Back