Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leaky Oil Pressure Switch

Leaky Oil Pressure Switch

Where oh where can I get an oil pressure switch that remains oil-tight for more than two weeks? 94 GSPD.
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com
    706.897.8266 24/7 Wireless

I bought at the dealer 3-4 years ago and haven't had a problem. I've read things from Tom Cutter that suggests sealing the outside portion with something JBWeld. I'm sure Tom would be willing to sell you one that is already pre-sealed.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Easy fix. Dont let it go long. Drips turn to streams. I bought this for my 88 100/gs. https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Oi...-p/ops-414.htm Need a 24mm deep socket. Lean bike over about 20deg to avoid oil spill when swapping out. 10min job max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of, if not THE, most helpful first time post I've seen! Welcome aboard ramanonos!
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Switch

The leaky one is six months old. Yesterday I cleaned it with carb cleaner, blew it dry and than pasted it up with epoxy. Well see how well that works. It looks like the one from Euro Moto has a rubber boot, might be a better construction.
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com

Leaky Oil Pressure Sender

I have a leaky, nay, flowing oil pressure sender. I have a new one ordered and hope it arrives before I plan to depart. Is there a compatible sender, such as a VW bug or Porsche part that will work in a pinch?

Oops, bike is a 94 R100GSPD. Ive heard that there might be different threads on older Airheads v. Later models???

Any other fixes if my part does not arrive in time? Ive tried sealing the leaky sender with epoxy. Thanx.
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com

I'd be more inclined to use an OEM part, but the IBMWR parts substitution page has a few alternatives:

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/partsubs.shtml
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by WooDmEn View Post
    Where oh where can I get an oil pressure switch that remains oil-tight for more than two weeks? 94 GSPD.
    A switch purchased from a BMW dealer and installed by them would be warranted for at least a year.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    A switch purchased from a BMW dealer and installed by them would be warranted for at least a year.
    Two years on installed parts.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

You might find it difficult to find a dealer who will work on an Airhead, these days; at least in my part of the world.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    You might find it difficult to find a dealer who will work on an Airhead, these days; at least in my part of the world.
    That is one reason I like Engle Motors in Kansas City. When we stopped in there last month they were installing a rear crankshaft seal on an R60/2.

And, if I asked a dealership to screw in an oil pressure sending unit and reattach the wire and they wouldn't or couldn't, they don't deserve to have a Roundel of their sign. Some things, yeah I understand. That - no way.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WooDmEn View Post
    The leaky one is six months old. Yesterday I cleaned it with carb cleaner, blew it dry and than pasted it up with epoxy. Well see how well that works. It looks like the one from Euro Moto has a rubber boot, might be a better construction.
    Sorry to say but it won't work. The only way to get the OEM oil pressure switches to not leak is to seal them when they are brand new. Even with a thorough cleaning once they've had _any_ oil on them JB Well will not hold for long and they will eventally start seeping again. DAMHIK.

Tom Cutter sells already sealed ones. I believe he uses a green wicking type loctite first and then after 24hrs of curing he seals them again with paint. They do not leak after this treatment.

I have not tried the EME switches; only BMW OEM and the Moto Bins ones which are the same as what Siedenbrock sells for a lot more methinks. They all seem to leak unless they are sealed when brand spanking new.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That is one reason I like Engle Motors in Kansas City. When we stopped in there last month they were installing a rear crankshaft seal on an R60/2.

And, if I asked a dealership to screw in an oil pressure sending unit and reattach the wire and they wouldn't or couldn't, they don't deserve to have a Roundel of their sign. Some things, yeah I understand. That - no way.
    Don't ever go to our Vancouver dealer. I am not sure they will even touch an oilhead at this point but I know they will not work on airheads. At all...
    They just send everyone to Shail's Motorcycles out in Langley. He stocks loads of parts and is a factory trained BMW mechanic who used to work for Vanouver BMW many moons ago and actually had a BMW dealership briefly but corporate demands on inventory minimums and stupid crap like repainting the shop in BMW approved colours finally drove him away. He has had his own BMW business for many years now. If he ever closes we're really screwed around here...
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Don't ever go to our Vancouver dealer. I am not sure they will even touch an oilhead at this point but I know they will not work on airheads. At all...
    They just send everyone to Shail's Motorcycles out in Langley. He stocks loads of parts and is a factory trained BMW mechanic who used to work for Vanouver BMW many moons ago and actually had a BMW dealership briefly but corporate demands on inventory minimums and stupid crap like repainting the shop in BMW approved colours finally drove him away. He has had his own BMW business for many years now. If he ever closes we're really screwed around here...
    I promise to remember that.

MOA,ABC,AMA,NEF,BREC,CCA brownie's Avatar

Thumbs up VDO sender

For 20 years + I've had a VDO sender.....2 lugs.....one for light....one for oil pressure gauge.........NEVER had a leak
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider