Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Leaky Oil Pressure Switch

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    190

    Leaky Oil Pressure Switch

    Where oh where can I get an oil pressure switch that remains oil-tight for more than two weeks? 94 GSPD.
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com
    706.897.8266 24/7 Wireless

  2. #2
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    18,202
    I bought at the dealer 3-4 years ago and haven't had a problem. I've read things from Tom Cutter that suggests sealing the outside portion with something JBWeld. I'm sure Tom would be willing to sell you one that is already pre-sealed.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  3. #3
    Easy fix. Dont let it go long. Drips turn to streams. I bought this for my 88 100/gs. https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Oi...-p/ops-414.htm Need a 24mm deep socket. Lean bike over about 20deg to avoid oil spill when swapping out. 10min job max.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,673
    One of, if not THE, most helpful first time post I've seen! Welcome aboard ramanonos!
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    190

    Switch

    The leaky one is six months old. Yesterday I cleaned it with carb cleaner, blew it dry and than pasted it up with epoxy. Well see how well that works. It looks like the one from Euro Moto has a rubber boot, might be a better construction.
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com
    706.897.8266 24/7 Wireless

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    190

    Leaky Oil Pressure Sender

    I have a leaky, nay, flowing oil pressure sender. I have a new one ordered and hope it arrives before I plan to depart. Is there a compatible sender, such as a VW bug or Porsche part that will work in a pinch?

    Oops, bike is a 94 R100GSPD. Ive heard that there might be different threads on older Airheads v. Later models???

    Any other fixes if my part does not arrive in time? Ive tried sealing the leaky sender with epoxy. Thanx.
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com
    706.897.8266 24/7 Wireless

  7. #7
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    18,202
    I'd be more inclined to use an OEM part, but the IBMWR parts substitution page has a few alternatives:

    http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/partsubs.shtml
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  8. #8
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    5,960
    Quote Originally Posted by WooDmEn View Post
    Where oh where can I get an oil pressure switch that remains oil-tight for more than two weeks? 94 GSPD.
    A switch purchased from a BMW dealer and installed by them would be warranted for at least a year.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    A switch purchased from a BMW dealer and installed by them would be warranted for at least a year.
    Two years on installed parts.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  10. #10
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    6,383
    You might find it difficult to find a dealer who will work on an Airhead, these days; at least in my part of the world.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    You might find it difficult to find a dealer who will work on an Airhead, these days; at least in my part of the world.
    That is one reason I like Engle Motors in Kansas City. When we stopped in there last month they were installing a rear crankshaft seal on an R60/2.

    And, if I asked a dealership to screw in an oil pressure sending unit and reattach the wire and they wouldn't or couldn't, they don't deserve to have a Roundel of their sign. Some things, yeah I understand. That - no way.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  12. #12
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by WooDmEn View Post
    The leaky one is six months old. Yesterday I cleaned it with carb cleaner, blew it dry and than pasted it up with epoxy. Well see how well that works. It looks like the one from Euro Moto has a rubber boot, might be a better construction.
    Sorry to say but it won't work. The only way to get the OEM oil pressure switches to not leak is to seal them when they are brand new. Even with a thorough cleaning once they've had _any_ oil on them JB Well will not hold for long and they will eventally start seeping again. DAMHIK.

    Tom Cutter sells already sealed ones. I believe he uses a green wicking type loctite first and then after 24hrs of curing he seals them again with paint. They do not leak after this treatment.

    I have not tried the EME switches; only BMW OEM and the Moto Bins ones which are the same as what Siedenbrock sells for a lot more methinks. They all seem to leak unless they are sealed when brand spanking new.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

  13. #13
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That is one reason I like Engle Motors in Kansas City. When we stopped in there last month they were installing a rear crankshaft seal on an R60/2.

    And, if I asked a dealership to screw in an oil pressure sending unit and reattach the wire and they wouldn't or couldn't, they don't deserve to have a Roundel of their sign. Some things, yeah I understand. That - no way.
    Don't ever go to our Vancouver dealer. I am not sure they will even touch an oilhead at this point but I know they will not work on airheads. At all...
    They just send everyone to Shail's Motorcycles out in Langley. He stocks loads of parts and is a factory trained BMW mechanic who used to work for Vanouver BMW many moons ago and actually had a BMW dealership briefly but corporate demands on inventory minimums and stupid crap like repainting the shop in BMW approved colours finally drove him away. He has had his own BMW business for many years now. If he ever closes we're really screwed around here...
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Don't ever go to our Vancouver dealer. I am not sure they will even touch an oilhead at this point but I know they will not work on airheads. At all...
    They just send everyone to Shail's Motorcycles out in Langley. He stocks loads of parts and is a factory trained BMW mechanic who used to work for Vanouver BMW many moons ago and actually had a BMW dealership briefly but corporate demands on inventory minimums and stupid crap like repainting the shop in BMW approved colours finally drove him away. He has had his own BMW business for many years now. If he ever closes we're really screwed around here...
    I promise to remember that.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  15. #15
    MOA,ABC,AMA,NEF,BREC,CCA brownie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    664

    Thumbs up VDO sender

    For 20 years + I've had a VDO sender.....2 lugs.....one for light....one for oil pressure gauge.........NEVER had a leak
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

Similar Threads

  1. oil pressure switch 92 R100RS
    By CANADIANSTEVE in forum Airheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2015, 12:16 PM
  2. Oil pressure switch?
    By Kev95gs in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 12:34 AM
  3. Oil pressure switch/light
    By BUBBAZANETTI in forum Airheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 11:24 PM
  4. Oil Pressure switch wiring and more
    By getset in forum Airheads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 03:39 PM
  5. Oil pressure switch
    By LORAZEPAM in forum Airheads
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 04:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •