Thread: Question about high output alternator replacements.

Question about high output alternator replacements.

I am looking to upgrade the charging system of my 84 R80RT. With all the heated clothing and such, the stock system does not keep up very well.
    I am interested in a kit that does not require a huge amount of messing with to install.
    Given there are a few companies offering these systems, what do you all have to say about which is the best way to go? St.

Of course, Snowbum has his overview of various systems:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/AftrMrktAlt.htm

If you pick something and install it, let us know how it goes!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

If you want a minimum of messing around, go with an Omega-style one from motoelekt.com or Euromotoelectrics. The Enduralast (permanent magnet style) is not a simple bolt-on replacement.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Looking at the Snowbum article

After reading Snowbank's article, I have decided to go with the Omega 600 system.
    How is Motorad Elektrik to deal with?

Has anyone installed this system? St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    After reading Snowbank's article, I have decided to go with the Omega 600 system.

Rick Jones is an asset to the airhead community. Buy with confidence. I have both types that Anton mentions (on different airheads) and concur with his recommendation.

Omega 600...

DSC04575-M.jpg

DSC04576-M.jpg

DSC04578-M.jpg
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

The included higher capacity diode board...

DSC04589-M.jpg

DSC04590-M.jpg

DSC04592-M.jpg
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Reduce other loads

One obvious idea would be to reduce your other loads, such as convert to LED headlight and taillight which would free up some amps for your heated gear.

Quote Originally Posted by jkjohnson View Post
    One obvious idea would be to reduce your other loads, such as convert to LED headlight and taillight which would free up some amps for your heated gear.
    When someone makes a direct replacement LED headlight that works as well as the stock unit I may change. I don't see one on the market yet. I do have a LED taillight system. St.

P Monk

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post

Just to confirm the kind of guy Rick is, here is my experience.
    First, I think you are going the right way by replacing the whole shebang at one time. I just replaced my rotor. Soon after the Stator. Soon after the diode board. Wish I had done it all the first time. I also decided to replace the coils with the single coil system he sells. I had previously installed the Alpha ignition which works fantastic. Installed the coil and went for a ride. 50 miles later it died. Called Eric and told him what happened and he said that I should have used the brown coil and he took responsibility for it. Soon the new brown coil and a new Alpha ignition arrived. Installed them and the old beemer has been happily running ever since, except for the time it was flooded by Harvey. Another story with a happy outcome. Bottom line: Others may treat you as well as Rick, but I am confident from experience he will treat you well.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole) Harvey couldn't kill it. . 09 R1200 GS, drowned in Harvey replaced by 2011 R1200RT. Wife, 1953 model survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

Another Rick endorsement

Installed a Motorrad Elektric rotor on a customer's bike and it came back the next day as a failure. I called Rick and told him about it. We talked for a while and he asked me what my hourly rate was. I didn't think any thing about it until I received a new rotor in the mail the next day with a check for an hour labor! Rick never even asked me about my diagnostic method to determine that the coil was bad.
    That's a man who knows how to take care of his customers and will always be the one that I refer people to who have electrical problems!
    Boxerbruce

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I have an older 400-watt unit and it is very reliable on my /6. Took ~2 hours to install, from bike on the lift to bike off the lift. While I was still employed, working back shifts in late fall, it was encouraging to have the high-beam on, driving lights on, and Gerbings liner, and voltmeter still indicated charging.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

I have been banging around the MOA since 1977. I wrote a tech column for 20 years. I have become acquainted with many vendors and suppliers of BMW and riding stuff. On a scale of one to ten Rick is an 11.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I have been banging around the MOA since 1977. I wrote a tech column for 20 years. I have become acquainted with many vendors and suppliers of BMW and riding stuff. On a scale of one to ten Rick is an 11.
    ++1
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R

i agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    +1
    Enjoying the ride, but always on the alert for a rally.......