• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Road Giant?

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
I was describing the rally events to my long suffering wife who has a fifty mile butt so never rides with me. She raised an interesting question when I talked about the GS Giant event. "Do they have anything for road bikes?" she asked. "Like those obstacle courses motorcycle cops compete on?"

It sounded like an interesting idea but I had no idea if it had ever been tried before...

I was describing the rally events to my long suffering wife who has a fifty mile butt so never rides with me. She raised an interesting question when I talked about the GS Giant event. "Do they have anything for road bikes?" she asked. "Like those obstacle courses motorcycle cops compete on?"

It sounded like an interesting idea but I had no idea if it had ever been tried before...

Mostly DQ to DQ, or maybe Wafflehouse to Wafflehouse I think. :)

Ex-director David Grant tried something in 2012, called the GT Giant. I am not going to comment because I've already PO'd the PTB enough for one week. :ha

Ian

Triple secret probation?

It's next week so.....

Failure to achieve acceptance by inner circle... :nod

Btw, your idea is excellent, any interest in volunteering? I will show you the basics of how to do it and help you find volunteers.

Been showing up for about four years now to various GS Giant events, including the national rallies MMM and others, and have never come across a DQ or Wafflehouse destination ride. Plenty of other challenges though, but with much better scenery.....:) . I think die hard giant enthusiasts might take offense at the characterization of GS Giants resembling other more bark than bite motorcycle groups. Although probably most GS bikes stay on the road, I would suggest most GS "Giant" bikers do not. Of course that may just be my broken ankle pain from a recent gravel drop getting letting its effects be transmitted to my brain eh!
Would the Giants entertain a mixed course development.... maybe, so join up with the group and present your interests to the membership and officers for further discussion....

A couple years ago at the Billings rally I took a riding course. I forget the name of it but it was how to ride a cone course like a cop. The most intense 4 hours I've spent on a bike. I know the dealer could make some money selling brake and clutch leavers. There is always the standard bike games that can be done. The slow race, ball and cone, ball and tube, tightening slalom. and the weenie bite to name a few.

A couple years ago at the Billings rally I took a riding course. I forget the name of it but it was how to ride a cone course like a cop. The most intense 4 hours I've spent on a bike. I know the dealer could make some money selling brake and clutch leavers. There is always the standard bike games that can be done. The slow race, ball and cone, ball and tube, tightening slalom. and the weenie bite to name a few.

The existence of that class at the Billings rally certainly points to a viable level of interest in some kind of skills event for the sport-touring riders. I’m not sure how much interest there would be in weenie-bite sort of thing, but certainly there would be interest in a solid skills class and competition. Imagine a one or two day skills class held right before the rally, then a competitive parking-lot event held during the rally—I think that was the general idea behind the 2012 event. I’ve been to non-BMW events where that sort of competition was held, generally using layouts and skill exercises/tests borrowed from motor officer training and eval programs, and those competitions were well-attended and thoroughly enjoyed by riders and spectators alike.

We have MOA members who serve as instructors in motor officer training and who might be persuaded to provide input or assistance for such an activity, we usually have parking lot space available at or near the rally space, and we claim to be interested in attracting new BMW owners/riders—who would likely be quite interested in this sort of thing—to MOA and the International Rally. Seems like the sort of thing The Board should be jumping all over themselves to implement—where are they on this?
:scratch:dunno

Best,
DG

I don't think the board created the GS Giants, or the rally contests. Both existed before I joined MOA, but my impression has been that MOA GS riders felt a need for their own organization, and developed the contests on their own. Whether they are independent, or a club-within-a-club, or a separate club on the level of a state club, I'm not entirely clear. Doesn't matter here.

The MOA is a club, not a service. It's people working toward common goals, not a small group of people (the board) fulfilling members' whims. Members need to take on the idea, develop it, and present it so the board can see the value and assist in the implementation. It likely starts with one member asking "Who wants to do this?"

The search for interested volunteers starts in the mirror.

At least, that's how I think it's supposed to work.
:dunno

At least, that's how I think it's supposed to work.
:dunno

Well, that would work if my reflection in the mirror didn't show me on a GSA! :wave Just curious that something similar didn't exist for the RT/K crowd.

Wonder what would happen if a half-dozen RT riders started doing figure-8s in a back corner of the Des Moines rally?

Would another dozen join them?

Or watch?

Or laugh?

In my earlier post, I think I may have given the board a little more of a pass than I intended. After all, they have been selected as our leadership, so we should expect some initiative. Most ideas need to come from the members, but these are sort of super-members. They can come up with ideas, too. But if you want to see the MOA doing something new, it's really up to you to push it along with positive effort and contributions.

Do any of the state organizations hold this sort of competition?

For clarity, my DQ and Waffle House comment referred to road bikes, not dual purpose bikes.

Of course they go to Dairy Queen and waffle houses the bars that serve the fuffy beers that MOA members are much to far apart plus after they got their they would not drink until the ride is over for the day.

I don't think the board created the GS Giants, or the rally contests.

The GS Giants created the GS Giants. Their goal was to enjoy adventure riding together and to reach out and attract prospective new members for the MOA.

The MOA is a club, not a service. It's people working toward common goals, not a small group of people (the board) fulfilling members' whims. Members need to take on the idea, develop it, and present it so the board can see the value and assist in the implementation. It likely starts with one member asking "Who wants to do this?"

:thumb

Ian

Back