• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorcycles of Detroit

Fred Trimble
Anyone know what happened to this dealer? The store is closed and their web page has not been updated in months. I've heard bad rumors but nothing concrete. Any info is appreciated, especially if anyone knows what happened to Don Lusk. He's serviced my bikes for 32 years. Thanks.

Anyone know what happened to this dealer? The store is closed and their web page has not been updated in months. I've heard bad rumors but nothing concrete. Any info is appreciated, especially if anyone knows what happened to Don Lusk. He's serviced my bikes for 32 years. Thanks.

When I checked their website, below is what I found. It seems unusual for a bike shop to relocate during riding season. I hope that Don Lusk remains with the company. Of all of the dealership mechanics that I have dealt with, Don is the best. :thumb

about a month ago

Hello Motorrad enthusiast! We are in the final stages of the approval process with BMW and our initial construction should be completed in the near future. We hope to be open for business soon, we thank you for your patience while we make this transition. It is our hope that we can bring to you an incomparable sales and service experience in the near future.

about 3 months ago

** Update **
The address of our new location will be
1301 S. Rochester Rd...

Paul, I saw both those pieces of web information. The address in the location of a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer. A ride around the lot did not reveal any signs of a motorcycle shop in any stage of construction.

Paul, I saw both those pieces of web information. The address in the location of a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer. A ride around the lot did not reveal any signs of a motorcycle shop in any stage of construction.

That does not sound like good news for the future of Detroit BMW. :scratch

Appears this dealership went from well thought of to non responsive in a few months. No postings for weeks and repeated leading on folks regarding their inquiries. Sounds like they lost their financial backing.

Appears this dealership went from well thought of to non responsive in a few months. No postings for weeks and repeated leading on folks regarding their inquiries. Sounds like they lost their financial backing.

On BMW's site, under find a dealer, Detroit BMW is not listed.

For all it's worth.....

I had been there a year + ago with a friend that purchased a K1600. While he was negotiating, I spent time just looking and gathering up a 'feel' of the business and though it was a nice business ( well kept, organized, attractive) it had a different feel from what I got from the other Michigan BMW dealerships. While looking through the apparel, a salesman asked if I needed help and I commented that they didn't have any Motorad apparel. The had some clothing, just not the Motorad stuff. The reply was a fuzzy explanation that they were not a 'full' Motorad dealership - could get bikes & parts, but not the clothing. Huh, that's wierd I thought.

Maybe connected? Agree, would like to see them there (as I want any business to succeed).

For all it's worth.....

I had been there a year + ago with a friend that purchased a K1600. While he was negotiating, I spent time just looking and gathering up a 'feel' of the business and though it was a nice business ( well kept, organized, attractive) it had a different feel from what I got from the other Michigan BMW dealerships. While looking through the apparel, a salesman asked if I needed help and I commented that they didn't have any Motorad apparel. The had some clothing, just not the Motorad stuff. The reply was a fuzzy explanation that they were not a 'full' Motorad dealership - could get bikes & parts, but not the clothing. Huh, that's wierd I thought.

Maybe connected? Agree, would like to see them there (as I want any business to succeed).

Not sure official hoops to jump, but Mothership does require a "commitment" to carry their apparel, besides financial...like sales people taking online classes to be certified and such. And some dealers, given that option, prefer to go with "after market" apparel based on costs appeal. BMW clothing can sit for quite awhile when (example) their jacket is $640.00 and a 95% like other brand jacket is $295.00...BMW patch optional.

Back