• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Microsoft Update Problem

bikeflyer

Microsoft auto-updated my Windows 10 operating system. Now Microsoft Edge no longer works - the software that I was using to view the Forum. Additionally, the BMW Repair Manual for my 2014 R1200GS no longer will start.

Has anyone solved either problem??

Brant

My computer just did a Win10 update in the past 24 hours. Nothing has changed for me. What browser are you using, then? Guess it's not Edge.

I had a problem on one of my computers after a Win10 update....got the "blue screen of death". Turns out that the driver for the older laptop's harddrive wasn't compatible anymore. The IT people at my work place updated the driver and all is well. So, things can happen.

If you feel there's a problem, use the tools in Windows to go back to the previous restore point to get back to a stable situation. Typically when an update happens, Windows creates a restore point, so the one that is before the time that you did the update should be the one to use.

Let us know how it goes.

It is Microsoft Edge - and their "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703" prevented it from running.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the Control Panel and on Microsoft's forum looking for an answer, but have not found one.

I'll try to reload the BMW Repair Manual - but if Windows 10 is now looking for some form of security code that won't help.

Fortunately Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer all still work. And I've changed my default browser so that other programs's call for internet access once again work.

Thanks for the feedback.

Brant

So, I've now removed and attempted to re-install my BMW Repair Manual. The install process hangs up at serial number recognition. I've contacted the support entity provided in the BMW install process and await a reply.

Does anyone know how BMW protects themselves from multiple installs of their repair manual? I can understand that they do not want, e.g., all members of an entire club to install from a single purchased disk; however, I can not be the only person to have a legitimate need to re-install the software.

And is it possible that the Windows upgrade damaged whatever the BMW software uses for authentication each time it starts??

Probably a good question for the support entity? I suppose you could find a buddy and try an install there...if it works fine, then you could uninstall with the idea that the problem does reside on your machine.

I used our office computer with Windows 7 Pro, popped in the DVD and logged in with the serial number, did the update and put the entire manual on a stick. No more CD needed to use the repair manual. Also works very well on my MAC with Parallels and Windows 10. I picked up a refurbed HP Stream 7 so I can use the GS-911 and the repair manual on the road if need be.
On a side-note, I despise Windows 10....:hungover

Back