Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: California fires- Sonoma County- Mendocino, Napa County....Santa Rosa

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Exclamation California fires- Sonoma County- Mendocino, Napa County....Santa Rosa

Well, as if there wasn't enough going on. the California wine country is taking quite a hit....and disrupting many lives.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/H...f-12270549.php

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/C...s-12269518.php

I know some people in one of the mandatory evacuation zones......for them and all the evacuees, the stress of "not knowing" is horrible.

I hope they can get some help, answers and the relief they need.

It must have been quite a place- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFbI8uVUFP4

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Sixteen of my 26 years in the fire service were spent fighting wildland fires. Until a person has been up close and personal with these events, it’s hard to understand how these fires run and spread. We’ve spent many great vacations in this wine country region. My heart goes out to those who have lost so much in the matter of a few hours.
    Bill Johnston

My longest [50+ yrs] old friend lives right in the middle of all that, just out side of Santa Rosa . So far his house has been spared , but he says [in person] the devastation is just mind boggling...He & his wife fled to her sisters, approx 12 miles S/SW. They took a ride up 101 today, as far as they were permitted to go. He said guardrail post were still burning....the guardrail sagging.

Glad for my friend , but for sure saddened for those who were not so fortunate.

Hope my friends luck continues.

He said there are rumors that some of the fires were arson ! But it is believed that the start was due to power lines brought down by the wind.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Shadows of Fort Mac, taste of B.C. Caribou, touch of hinterland Cdn Shield and the cost is the same.

Tough, really tough.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case, my baby, fast, fun)
    3xR90/6, two just sold, one for a sidecar. 1983 K100RS (Cafe now)
    Very Rough R80RT. 1987 K1100RS (freaking hooped I think)

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    He said there are rumors that some of the fires were arson ! But it is believed that the start was due to power lines brought down by the wind.
    First, hope your friend and his family are okay.

The power line theory seems to be a good one to this retired fire investigator. Arson could be suspected, but given the geographic spacing, that seems unlikely since the fires started around the same time. Traveled in that region a lot in the last 40 years, getting around takes some time in that terrain. We caught one arsonist at Lake Tahoe that started 26 fires one afternoon, but that was within a two and half mile long section of highway 50. That took him about an hour as he jogged along the shoulder...
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    First, hope your friend and his family are okay.

The power line theory seems to be a good one to this retired fire investigator. Arson could be suspected, but given the geographic spacing, that seems unlikely since the fires started around the same time. Traveled in that region a lot in the last 40 years, getting around takes some time in that terrain. We caught one arsonist at Lake Tahoe that started 26 fires one afternoon, but that was within a two and half mile long section of highway 50. That took him about an hour as he jogged along the shoulder...

Could the arson suspect be......Perhaps a move to make sure their house burns down in the "wild-fire" .....Insurance scams?
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

The number of people confirmed killed is awful, the number who remain missing is even more horrendous. The loss of structures and property is secondary to that.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    The number of people confirmed killed is awful, the number who remain missing is even more horrendous. The loss of structures and property is secondary to that.

Agreed!.....

Heard on the news that "officials" say that this is the worst natural disaster ever in California...Considering all that the state has endured...that's quite a statement.
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Could the arson suspect be......Perhaps a move to make sure their house burns down in the "wild-fire" .....Insurance scams?
    I sincerely doubt that this was the work of an arsonist, nearly simultaneous ignition points spread over a wide area during a period of intense winds. Is it possible that an arsonist took advantage of the opportunity? Yeah, I suppose so. Fire insurance rarely comes close to paying for 100% of true cost of a residence, so doubt there’s any scam involved. Just a lot of death and destruction...and grief.
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    I sincerely doubt that this was the work of an arsonist, nearly simultaneous ignition points spread over a wide area during a period of intense winds. Is it possible that an arsonist took advantage of the opportunity? Yeah, I suppose so. Fire insurance rarely comes close to paying for 100% of true cost of a residence, so doubt there’s any scam involved. Just a lot of death and destruction...and grief.

Yeah OK, maybe I said it incorrectly . But they indicated , wind first,...then [possible] arson second.

Now just on the news one scene of a destroyed home, is being treated as a crime scene ?? This is starting to sound as ambiguous as the Vegas shooting.

BTW....nice to have your professional opinion on this.
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Yeah OK, maybe I said it incorrectly . But they indicated , wind first,...then [possible] arson second.

Now just on the news one scene of a destroyed home, is being treated as a crime scene ?? This is starting to sound as ambiguous as the Vegas shooting.

Not sure where your getting your information from? Hate to say it, the news does not always get it right. Because people died in a fire, the deaths are considered a crime scene until proven otherwise. So, all of the fatalities of this fire will be processed as a crime scene. The burn covers a huge area. Results of the investigation will take a lot of time......

John

Rka?

Has anyone heard from Richard and Kathy at RKA ? They make bags [tank, tail & liners] for a lot of BMW people. They live in this area.

As a former investigator, I’d say you just follow the evidence, so I wouldn’t rule out some instances of arson being involved somewhere in here. And anytime they find a deceased person in a fire situation, that will lead to a pretty close investigation by fire and police officials. I worked and attended some training with CDF personnel a long time ago and have complete faith in them doing their jobs properly.
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    Has anyone heard from Richard and Kathy at RKA ? They make bags [tank, tail & liners] for a lot of BMW people. They live in this area.
    Richard sent out an email yesterday. He and Kathy are OK, as well as store in Santa Rosa. Here's a screen-shot of most of the email. It also included a video of fire: Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 9.06.26 AM.jpg
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by EvryDayRide View Post
    Not sure where your getting your information from? Hate to say it, the news does not always get it right. Because people died in a fire, the deaths are considered a crime scene until proven otherwise. So, all of the fatalities of this fire will be processed as a crime scene. The burn covers a huge area. Results of the investigation will take a lot of time......

John

A natural disaster is considered a crime?....Doubt that. If suspected arson yes, but not a forest fire.
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster