• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Throttle Position Sensor

rwl1955

Friday headed to GF's on my 2016 RT, 75 mile ride thru Quabbin Reservoir in Ma. Pulled over in Granby to change glasses, shut off bike and when restarted bike sounded like it was running on one cylinder, no power and making all kinds of noise. Shut it off and restarted, same thing. I shut it down and called GF, then AAA for a tow. Called Max and talked to Kyle and he said he had a customer with same problem last week, probably throttle position sensor. I told him I would have the bike towed to GF's house and they needed to pick it up Saturday. AAA texted telling me truck was on the way. 1/2 hr later pushed the start button and then starter and VROOM, everything sounded fine. Rode around the parking lot and no problems. Called Max again and they said as long as the oil is good go for it. Tow truck arrived and asked the driver if he could follow me instead of towing the bike. He called his dispatcher and he said OK. Rode to GF's, no problems. Rode to Max in East Windsor, CT. Saturday morning and they confirmed throttle position sensor code, rebooted the computer and said I was good to go. I guess I should have waited longer before calling AAA so FYI, if this happens to anyone learn from my experience.

I don't think that you can clear codes or do much more than read them when using the WiFi to a smart phone feature on the GS 911. In this case disconnecting the battery may have helped clear it faster than it did on its own. All supposition at this point.

I don't think that you can clear codes or do much more than read them when using the WiFi to a smart phone feature on the GS 911. In this case disconnecting the battery may have helped clear it faster than it did on its own. All supposition at this point.

You can read & clear codes from a phone over WiFi ... I do it all the time. You can even email the output if you like.

Clearing a code does not clear a fault, and the presence of a code does not affect operation. The code just indicates that a fault is, or was, present. What the GS-911 might have been able to do would be to reset the fueling adaptations to the default, and restore smooth running more quickly. The bike computer apparently did correct the fueling on it's own before it reached the dealer. The cause of the fault is still unknown.

Friday headed to GF's on my 2016 RT, 75 mile ride thru Quabbin Reservoir in Ma. Pulled over in Granby to change glasses, shut off bike and when restarted bike sounded like it was running on one cylinder, no power and making all kinds of noise. Shut it off and restarted, same thing. I shut it down and called GF, then AAA for a tow. Called Max and talked to Kyle and he said he had a customer with same problem last week, probably throttle position sensor. I told him I would have the bike towed to GF's house and they needed to pick it up Saturday. AAA texted telling me truck was on the way. 1/2 hr later pushed the start button and then starter and VROOM, everything sounded fine. Rode around the parking lot and no problems. Called Max again and they said as long as the oil is good go for it. Tow truck arrived and asked the driver if he could follow me instead of towing the bike. He called his dispatcher and he said OK. Rode to GF's, no problems. Rode to Max in East Windsor, CT. Saturday morning and they confirmed throttle position sensor code, rebooted the computer and said I was good to go. I guess I should have waited longer before calling AAA so FYI, if this happens to anyone learn from my experience.
Good to know..thank you.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Rode to Max in East Windsor, CT. Saturday morning and they confirmed throttle position sensor code, rebooted the computer and said I was good to go. I guess I should have waited longer before calling AAA so FYI, if this happens to anyone learn from my experience.

Did you per chance do the throttle position calibration routine? I may be talking about something different here but what you describe sounds reminds me of what I was told to help clear up difficult starts and that is to turn the ignition on and let it fully boot up, then twist the throttle to full on and full off 3 times, then turn off the ignition, then start the bike as per usual. When I first got my RT this indeed seemed to resolve the issue I was having which was that the bike would fail to start on the first try, would always start on the second try, and would on occasion back-fire on the first attempt, and this was with a cold or warm engine. After doing this routine the bike started quickly on the first try every time except while on a road trip where I filled up at a Chevron. Against my better judgement I continued to fill up the tank from a gas pump that was barely flowing, and voila the next day the bike would not start. I was about to call for towing when after another attempt she started right up. It was iffy starting for a few more days until I added methanol (HEET brand) to the gas which resolved the issue definitively.

I have had this same problem THREE TIMES since new (2014 RT) First time no computer code shown at dealer (engine light on and idle only). Convinced me it was bad gas (WV trip last year). Second time (again last year) local ride and trailered it to my dealer where it was determined to be TPS. replaced under warranty.
Third time (this year), again local ride (luckily as I had finished riding the BRP along with a few "off shoots" only a few weeks prior) took it to my dealer where they again replaced the TPS (tech said it didn't appear to be secure enough).

To date, no more issues however; I do use ONLY high test gas while in the US and even then preferably from a reputable brand i.e.. SHELL etc. There are a few brand stations here in Ontario that do NOT contain Ethanol in their higher octane - Canadian Tire, Ultramar and Shell.

I had the same problem, it would happen intermittently. Max reprogrammed the ECU but still had the issue, then I brought it to another dealer they replaced the throttle body under warranty because they said it was sticking. they also said there will be a new software update next year for the throttle control. Haven't had the issue come back since this fix.

I had the same problem, it would happen intermittently. Max reprogrammed the ECU but still had the issue, then I brought it to another dealer they replaced the throttle body under warranty because they said it was sticking. they also said there will be a new software update next year for the throttle control. Haven't had the issue come back since this fix.
sometimes when twisting the throttle it seems to "slip/lag" a hair. Thought it was me but now I'm starting to wonder. 8900 miles on my 2016RT.

Back