• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LED low beam or high beam bulb - with capacitors

Be very careful. A good LED replacement bulb is surely coming, and may even be out there, but most don't pattern the light correctly because the reflector is designed for the halogen bulb. Many don't shield the area close up to the bike and emit high intensity light close to the front wheel. This gives the impression of "wow" brightness, but all it serves to do is diminish your night vision ability without providing useful illumination.

I would reserve LED's for auxiliary lights built with reflector / projector assemblies that were designed for them.

^ I agree, the reflectors aren't made for HID either! Kind of shocking that BMW decided to stick with older technology with regard to the headlight. The tail light BTW, isn much better either as it fades out in the sun like crazy too. :banghead
One would think that BMW would have had at least the option of and LED or HID headlight on these bikes...:scratch

In general I have to agree with the LED vs halogen replacement cautions - but - if you follow the link - the photo of the bulb capsule reveals one with the LED located where one would expect the filament in a halogen bulb to be. If it offers 360 degree output - it might work quite well in a halogen reflector.

My only caution on this is - the 6000K color temperature. It's "white" - and really with a slight blue tinge. That isn't the best for actual visibility, it's done more to make them look like super HID bulbs (which in factory bulbs are 4200K) - ie - it's marketing. It would be interesting if they offered ones with a lower color temperature, especially if you intend to use them at night.

Just sayin'.. and the "capacitor" cable? Wonder exactly what they're doing there. Most warning-cancelling cables have a resistor across the power going to the light, to simulate the current drawn by a halogen bulb. That's for current monitoring bulb monitoring - which your RT has. Some of the newer bulb monitoring circuits in cars send a tiny pulse of electricity to the bulb and watch for it to return. They can do this without the bulb being on (the pulse is short enough the filament never heats up..) - a capacitor in that system might fool it by passing the pulse through - but I don't know enough to say if that's fact or just theory.

Anyway - if you go ahead with this (and I can understand the desire since RT bulbs seem to go like popcorn) - please take some before and after pics of the light output pattern. Against a garage door is good. If you can set your phone/camera to use the same exposure that's also good (since most pics like that are really inaccurate due to the auto-exposure ability of the camera.)

I found a company that has the answer

I was also having problems finding some that would play nice with the canbus and ran across this company:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

They have canbus capable, super bright LEDs for about all of your available plugs. I installed them in the headlights (no fan or ballast, just a heat sink), parking lights (bright little plug in units), tail/stop (get the red units or else you will have a pink taillight), turn signal (Amber 1156). The only problem was the right front turn on my RT, a regular 1156 would work, but the led was a no go. I think it may be the plug, as I have had problems w my BMW 328i that was similar. I'll try a new one when I ride near Jacksonville-no dealers here in Savannah. Their figment guide is pretty good, but just look for the ones that say "canbus capable". I rode today and everyone backed off, as these suckers get their attention.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Also, just a quick tip for those wanting to change their parking light bulbs on a RT, remove the mirrors, and remove the two screws holding the wing Tupperware right next to the headlight assembly. There is an access opening that you can get at the bulb easily.

I was going to post some video of the lights in action, but it will take some messing with

I was also having problems finding some that would play nice with the canbus and ran across this company:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

They have canbus capable, super bright LEDs for about all of your available plugs. I installed them in the headlights (no fan or ballast, just a heat sink), parking lights (bright little plug in units), tail/stop (get the red units or else you will have a pink taillight), turn signal (Amber 1156). The only problem was the right front turn on my RT, a regular 1156 would work, but the led was a no go. I think it may be the plug, as I have had problems w my BMW 328i that was similar. I'll try a new one when I ride near Jacksonville-no dealers here in Savannah. Their figment guide is pretty good, but just look for the ones that say "canbus capable". I rode today and everyone backed off, as these suckers get their attention.

I like superbrightleds, but for now I stick to HID's. Did you check how high your light is projecting? You may want to check that, as is not a good idea
if it is bothersome for the incoming traffic or even for the ones driving ahead of you. Should ask a friend to drive ahead of you and against you and share
his honest opinion.

I marked a garage wall where the old silver star halogens hit and checked it after installing the leds. The aim didn’t change. They are just brighter, with the color being closer to white. I was amazed at the color difference when I had the center high beam still in. It was almost yellow. I don’t ride much after dark due to the number of deer in the area, but with the time change I may venture out to see the change.

I marked a garage wall where the old silver star halogens hit and checked it after installing the leds. The aim didn’t change. They are just brighter, with the color being closer to white. I was amazed at the color difference when I had the center high beam still in. It was almost yellow. I don’t ride much after dark due to the number of deer in the area, but with the time change I may venture out to see the change.

That was my experience when I replaced my low beams with 4300Kº HID. The beam patterns are the same, but I have to consciously look beyond the white light up close to see the relatively yellow halogen lighting down the road. Looking at LED for the single high beam, but have not found the one I want without buying a pair, and I don't ride all that much at night anyway.

I got the can-bus friendly from super bright for my tail and brake light. love how bright they are compared to the stock (I got the red ones). But the light out symbol on dash came on. me sad lol. the parking light one's work great. I really want the led 1156's reds to work. I guess I'll be sending those back................JD

I got the can-bus friendly from super bright for my tail and brake light. love how bright they are compared to the stock (I got the red ones). But the light out symbol on dash came on. me sad lol. the parking light one's work great. I really want the led 1156's reds to work. I guess I'll be sending those back................JD

You need to install one resistor. ONE only was enough for me.
Be warned, they get VERY hot!!
https://www.amazon.ca/Resistors-Signal-License-Warning-Cancellor/dp/B004EDF8HY

Back