Thread: Heed crash bars

Heed crash bars

Was wondering is anyone has these crash bars and what they think of them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-GUARD...3D301047744123

Quote Originally Posted by temesvar View Post
    Was wondering is anyone has these crash bars and what they think of them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-GUARD...3D301047744123
    I saw those too. They are a slightly different design than the Wunderlich, look to mount differently under the engine, and appear to have better head protection, through the higher cross piece. They would probably need to be removed for any valve adjustments.
    bikenut595
    Every day's a Saturday
    '72 75/5 Toaster, '72 75/5, '04 1150RT, '10 1200RT, '14 Zuma 125

Service issues

They might be tough to remove for service, depending on how easy it is to remove the top fastener. I havea Chinese copy of the wunderlich bar on my RT. Three socket head bolts and one set screw per side.
    Chuck Swenson
    MOA # 9162
    2010 R1200RT (BMW #12)

Installed a set on my new to me 2013 R1200RT last week. It took a month to ship, box arrived in decent shape and the bars (I got the rear guards also) were completely wrapped in foam pipe insulation and stretch wrap plastic in the boxes. Took some time to unwrap, but the bars were in perfect condition. The engine guard requires removing the top engine mount bolt which requires compressing the front suspension. Breaking the nut took some work, but it came loose eventually.

Removing the Tupperware from both sides made the install easier.

Assembly from there was straight forward, just leave all nuts loose until everything is located. I haven't tried to remove the cam covers yet, but I suspect the bars will need to be removed. This looks to be straight forward...remove three fasteners on either side.

I also haven't tried the protection, and I hope not to. My DL 650 Wee Strom took a few naps in its time and the Givi bars I installed saved it from major damage. I think the the HEED bars will do the same if ever needed.

The rear bars didn't require quite was much work as the front. I did not remove the side plastics as the rear bolt for the rack started spinning the captured nut. Anyway, it took some finagling, but they went on cleanly.

In all, it took about three-four hours for the install.

Quality of bends and welds is excellent, paint/powder coat is smooth and evenly applied, and everything fit without problem: better than the Givi engine and luggage racks on the Suzuki.

In all I recommend the bars as a lower cost, very protective alternative to the more expensive name brands.

Mike

Oh, also, I ordered directly via email and PayPal from the HEED site. $395 for both bar sets shipped to Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by texasmike View Post
    Installed a set on my new to me 2013 R1200RT last week. It took a month to ship, box arrived in decent shape and the bars (I got the rear guards also) were completely wrapped in foam pipe insulation and stretch wrap plastic in the boxes. Took some time to unwrap, but the bars were in perfect condition. The engine guard requires removing the top engine mount bolt which requires compressing the front suspension. Breaking the nut took some work, but it came loose eventually.

Removing the Tupperware from both sides made the install easier.

Assembly from there was straight forward, just leave all nuts loose until everything is located. I haven't tried to remove the cam covers yet, but I suspect the bars will need to be removed. This looks to be straight forward...remove three fasteners on either side.

I also haven't tried the protection, and I hope not to. My DL 650 Wee Strom took a few naps in its time and the Givi bars I installed saved it from major damage. I think the the HEED bars will do the same if ever needed.

The rear bars didn't require quite was much work as the front. I did not remove the side plastics as the rear bolt for the rack started spinning the captured nut. Anyway, it took some finagling, but they went on cleanly.

In all, it took about three-four hours for the install.

Quality of bends and welds is excellent, paint/powder coat is smooth and evenly applied, and everything fit without problem: better than the Givi engine and luggage racks on the Suzuki.

In all I recommend the bars as a lower cost, very protective alternative to the more expensive name brands.

Mike
    Thanks, Mike! Just what i was looking for,
    someone's experience with a set. Didn't even know
    they had the rear protectors as well. Will check
    them out also.

Oh, also, I ordered directly via email and PayPal from the HEED site. $395 for both bar sets shipped to Austin.
    Could you, please, post a picture of the rear protectors?
    Now you got me going , and i don't see any on their site.
    Thanks.

On the HEED site, select crash bars, then BMW, then go to the last entry on the list.

Mike

On the HEED site, select crash bars, then BMW, then go to the last entry on the list.

Mike
    Never thought to look further!
    I found it. Looks solid, will
    think it over, and just may get
    a set of both.
    Thanks again, Mike.

Thanks to your note here, i ordered them both directly. and at a great price. I honestly miss printed $385 and that is the price i got them for.

Quote Originally Posted by bikenut595 View Post
    I saw those too. They are a slightly different design than the Wunderlich, look to mount differently under the engine, and appear to have better head protection, through the higher cross piece. They would probably need to be removed for any valve adjustments.
    I like the design so i just purchased a set, front an rear, at a decent price. I will post pictures as i get them ,with pro's and con's of it all.
    Intend to mount a set of fog lights on the front bars,

Okay - so where are the pictures?

Looking at a set of these for my wife's 2014 RT
    CW
    '06 F650GS Dakar, 2016 K1600GT
    See you on down the road!

Quote Originally Posted by wkuwiz View Post
    Looking at a set of these for my wife's 2014 RT
    Here are some pic's. I have also ordered the rear bars, but they are not for my year
    bike. To return them would cost more than the refunded value. I could make them fit,
    but I changed my mind about them.
    Installation was not exactly easy, but straight forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images