• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heads up if traveling the Northern California Coast

robocop

Just completed a 5 day trip up the Northern California and Southern Oregon Coast. Made the mistake of staying overnight in Cresent City. Long story short, parked our bikes at the front office entrance of a local motel on Hiway 1. Sometime between 2 and 4 am we were ripped off by the ever present ' homeless hype' night creatures that inhabit the town. Tank bag straps cut and bags removed, locked utility boxes pried open and tools/rain gear stolen. Thank goodness we removed all our electronic gear from the bikes and locked the steering mechanisms.

Called the Cops who were aware of the night thefts and agreed with our suspect assessment. The underlying issue are the transient individuals found in most coastal areas. Under fed, shelterless or substance abusers. Our gear is most likely now sold for pennies on the dollar or is helping somebody stay warm for the coming winter. We lost a total of $3,000 in gear among 4 riders but in good old California it's still a misdemeanor so nothing will come of this.

The blue California state is drowning in a rising 20 % poverty level with a steadily rising crime rate. Sad affair for such a beautiful state. Be careful with your bikes, make sure private security spins through the motel/hotel parking lots and batten down anything portable on your machines. Ask before you register for the night.

In closing, going replacement shopping tomorrow. Any suggestions for a tank bag that will fit a 2016 RS?

Yes, a k 1200 rs tank bag will fit nicely.

With some straps and connectors it works well for me.

I swap the k12rs tank bag between our 2002 k1200rs and our 2016 r1200rs.

Bummer about the theft.

Deryle & Wanda Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Sorry for your loss Eureka and crescent city are Zombieville in my opinion. We stayed in Eureka once several years ago,if bike would have fit in room it was going in. I highly suggest a cheap bike cover, it’s worked for me for a number of years. And yes California has gone to the s—-
We’ve gotten a lot more selective on hotel choices along hwy1
FYI Ft Bragg motel 6 is very secure, used it many times

WOW .... what a shame to have a trip impacted that way! Not surprising though as Calif. seems to have a serious homeless problem.

I have never before used a tank bag but when I bought my RTW I tried the Givi with Tanklock system and love it! The tank mechanism appears to work a bit better than the SW Motech. Had 2 buddies who bought the Motech and switched to the Givi bag. I got the small one and for me it is the perfect size.

IMG_2489.jpg

Sorry to hear ... I saw a stat the other day saying we have 22% +/- of the Nations homeless in CA. The story was about the hepatitis outbreak in SoCal. We have beautiful weather, scenery, etc. but I sure worry for our future and would consider leaving if it wasn’t for the fact that my kids and grandkids make their lives here too. Hopefully the positives CA offers, outweigh the negatives on your ride.

Sorry to hear ... I saw a stat the other day saying we have 22% +/- of the Nations homeless in CA. The story was about the hepatitis outbreak in SoCal. We have beautiful weather, scenery, etc. but I sure worry for our future and would consider leaving if it wasn’t for the fact that my kids and grandkids make their lives here too. Hopefully the positives CA offers, outweigh the negatives on your ride.

California has a little over 12% of the US population so it's not a stretch to see due to our generally favorable weather for people w/o permanent housing we may indeed own 22% of the nation's homeless the vast majority of which are in bigger cities. Not so easy to be homeless in Montana, ND, SD, Wyo, Colorado, WA, Minnesota etc. A great many of these folks indeed have significant mental health problems so it's no wonder they do what they can to survive.

I've been up the coast a few times and indeed I see a population of homeless each time I stay in Arcata near Eureka, or in Eureka. I think you can greatly protect yourself by staying in nicer motels, motels off the main roads, and they exist and won't cost you a whole lot more than cheap roadside motels. Also, I always cover my bike and remove Nav V and have had no troubles yet. Here's a place I've stayed on the main road where rooms are quite far from the street and it was very lovely and about $126 I believe, which I shared w/ my riding partner so only $63 each:

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 11.52.27 AM.jpg

...well that sucks. Leaving Laguna Seca after a MotoGP race one year the same cut n swipe thing happened to two of my buddies in Hollister.
It's no reflection on California at all. There are vagrants, hitch hikers, and homeless everywhere. And if you leave your stuff out they can take it.
Worst part about NorCal hasn't been mentioned here...the wildfires.
Bless the Firefighters!

Back