• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle camping food choices

+1 on Jetboil and Mountain House. Mount Hagen single serve coffee packets too!

Used a Coleman “Sportster” for years before that, but it was heavier and took up more space.

I weigh the jetboil fuel canister before a trip with a $10 gram scale. They’re about 200 grams full and 100 grams empty, so I take an extra if the stowable one is getting low.

+1 on Jetboil and Mountain House. Mount Hagen single serve coffee packets too!

Used a Coleman “Sportster” for years before that, but it was heavier and took up more space.

I weigh the jetboil fuel canister before a trip with a $10 gram scale. They’re about 200 grams full and 100 grams empty, so I take an extra if the stowable one is getting low.

So how long does a canister last. Say I make coffee in the morning and again in the evening, and cook an evening meal every day - how many days might one last? Ball park?

So how long does a canister last. Say I make coffee in the morning and again in the evening, and cook an evening meal every day - how many days might one last? Ball park?

I just tested it and it takes about 5 grams of fuel to bring 2 cups of water to a boil, so a full canister should be able to do this about 20 times. That would be about a weeks use?

Fuel cost is about 12 cents a cup, not exactly cheap but it is fast and convenient.

I just tested it and it takes about 5 grams of fuel to bring 2 cups of water to a boil, so a full canister should be able to do this about 20 times. That would be about a weeks use?

Fuel cost is about 12 cents a cup, not exactly cheap but it is fast and convenient.

Thanks for the information.

I'm 63, but just not smart enough to quit yet. Ha!

Agree...for most of the folks on the forum, concern about stove performance at altitude is not relevant. One exception (I'm sure there are others) would be camping at some of the campgrounds on Beartooth Pass, which is a pretty popular motorcycle touring ride. If I remember correctly, I believe there are at least a couple that are over 10,000 feet.

On our way to the Billings rally Barley and I camped at Beartooth Lake. Our JetBoil functioned normally. I always carry one spare canister but so far have never used it. On our three week 8800 mile VT to the Pacific and back trip for the Salem rally the first canister ran out of fuel one day from home. On that morning I splurged and went to a Starbucks...

Back