Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Motorcycle camping food choices

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Can it be turned down low for actual slow cooking? Boiling water fast is nice, but the ability to cook a pork chop slowly is more important to me.
    I find the heat control to be quite good for slower cooking.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    I find the heat control to be quite good for slower cooking.
    Thanks
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Camp stove

MSR Reactor stove at rei $219 did not check on fuel price because the stove cost $219 reviews say not good at simmer ( not all ) can't use frying pan on it can only use pan that comes with. I drink lots of tea don't like tea made in same pot that I cooked my meal in . Finally the stove costs $219
    Looked up price of 8 ounce fuel canister on amazon $24 so it cost about a $1 to boil a liter of water

And what is wrong with the eBay stoves I referenced above? $10 gets you a stove that boils water virtually as fast as the expensive ones, and the flame is easily adjustable.

And all the new stoves take compatible fuel canisters. Walmart has them for $4.97. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-B...-Fuel/20595064

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    MSR Reactor stove at rei $219 did not check on fuel price because the stove cost $219 reviews say not good at simmer ( not all ) can't use frying pan on it can only use pan that comes with. I drink lots of tea don't like tea made in same pot that I cooked my meal in . Finally the stove costs $219
    Looked up price of 8 ounce fuel canister on amazon $24 so it cost about a $1 to boil a liter of water
    Just looked and the new ones are quite different from mine. I've had mine for about ten years now. Mine is like the stove they call the pocket rocket except the pot that came with it has the heat reactor ring on the base. I can use any standard pot on the stove in its place.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    And what is wrong with the eBay stoves I referenced above? $10 gets you a stove that boils water virtually as fast as the expensive ones, and the flame is easily adjustable.

And all the new stoves take compatible fuel canisters. Walmart has them for $4.97. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-B...-Fuel/20595064

Chris
    I have one of those stoves. It's easy, lightweight in my pack and works well, except at high altitude. You also absolutely need to have some type of wind break and, ideally, some type of insulation around the pot if you're cooking in colder weather. At altitude, it was no match for a Jet Boil or the MSR Reactor. Just my experience.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    The MSR Dragonfly runs on a variety of liquid fuels and can go from a simmer to a roaring, literally , boil. Over the last 15 plus years it has been my go to stove for most of my trips. The gasoline fuel tanks I have for it actually saved my butt in the Yukon when I found an entire town to be out of fuel..

The MSR Pocket Rocket is a small isopropane powered stove I use for a quick boil of water for coffee and oatmeal in the AM. As far as food goes, I use Mountainhouse on occasion but try to get fresh goods from local markets when available. IMHO you have to be flexible and adjust to what’s available where you are at the moment.
    I find that trail mix and protein bars along with fresh fruits work well to keep my energy levels up during the day..
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    I have one of those stoves. It's easy, lightweight in my pack and works well, except at high altitude. You also absolutely need to have some type of wind break and, ideally, some type of insulation around the pot if you're cooking in colder weather. At altitude, it was no match for a Jet Boil or the MSR Reactor. Just my experience.
    At 65, I think my mountain climbing days are about over. Backpacking, sure. Motorcycle camping, sure. In Washington state, it's really hard to get above 7000 feet unless you're on two feet and then only if you're willing to walk on white stuff. Probably why I never had a problem with my old stove. And probably why the inexpensive stoves from eBay will work fine for me. I would think they would work fine for most readers here actually.

One trick I learned back in the good ol' days, was to stick my propane canister in my sleeping bag. It didn't compensate for altitude like you're talking about, but it kept the pressure up so the stove functioned just fine in cold weather.

As far as the inexpensive stoves being "no match for a Jet Boil or the MSR Reactor"...that's only the high end stoves. The lower end Jet Boil stoves don't have the extra parts to make them work well at altitude...or at least that's what the guy at REI said.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    At 65, I think my mountain climbing days are about over. Backpacking, sure. Motorcycle camping, sure. In Washington state, it's really hard to get above 7000 feet unless you're on two feet and then only if you're willing to walk on white stuff. Probably why I never had a problem with my old stove. And probably why the inexpensive stoves from eBay will work fine for me. I would think they would work fine for most readers here actually.

One trick I learned back in the good ol' days, was to stick my propane canister in my sleeping bag. It didn't compensate for altitude like you're talking about, but it kept the pressure up so the stove functioned just fine in cold weather.

As far as the inexpensive stoves being "no match for a Jet Boil or the MSR Reactor"...that's only the high end stoves. The lower end Jet Boil stoves don't have the extra parts to make them work well at altitude...or at least that's what the guy at REI said.

Chris
    I'm 63, but just not smart enough to quit yet. Ha!

Agree...for most of the folks on the forum, concern about stove performance at altitude is not relevant. One exception (I'm sure there are others) would be camping at some of the campgrounds on Beartooth Pass, which is a pretty popular motorcycle touring ride. If I remember correctly, I believe there are at least a couple that are over 10,000 feet.

It's been a few years...decades actually ...but I don't remember having a problem with my stove at Camp Muir. Oh, that's right. I took my US Army surplus "burn anything flammable" stove. The flames when it started up, went up about a foot and I got kicked out. No one there wanted that stove there with the chance everyone would be burned out. So I cooked my food outside that night. If they'd only given me a few minutes more, once the burner warmed up, the flame died down to a hot blue flame. It would've been interesting to have seen what the Bleuet stove would've done though.

Chris

+1 on Jetboil and Mountain House. Mount Hagen single serve coffee packets too!

Used a Coleman “Sportster” for years before that, but it was heavier and took up more space.

I weigh the jetboil fuel canister before a trip with a $10 gram scale. They’re about 200 grams full and 100 grams empty, so I take an extra if the stowable one is getting low.

Quote Originally Posted by 43912 View Post
    +1 on Jetboil and Mountain House. Mount Hagen single serve coffee packets too!

Used a Coleman “Sportster” for years before that, but it was heavier and took up more space.

I weigh the jetboil fuel canister before a trip with a $10 gram scale. They’re about 200 grams full and 100 grams empty, so I take an extra if the stowable one is getting low.
    So how long does a canister last. Say I make coffee in the morning and again in the evening, and cook an evening meal every day - how many days might one last? Ball park?
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    So how long does a canister last. Say I make coffee in the morning and again in the evening, and cook an evening meal every day - how many days might one last? Ball park?
    I just tested it and it takes about 5 grams of fuel to bring 2 cups of water to a boil, so a full canister should be able to do this about 20 times. That would be about a weeks use?

Fuel cost is about 12 cents a cup, not exactly cheap but it is fast and convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by 43912 View Post
    I just tested it and it takes about 5 grams of fuel to bring 2 cups of water to a boil, so a full canister should be able to do this about 20 times. That would be about a weeks use?

Fuel cost is about 12 cents a cup, not exactly cheap but it is fast and convenient.
    Thanks for the information.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    I'm 63, but just not smart enough to quit yet. Ha!

Agree...for most of the folks on the forum, concern about stove performance at altitude is not relevant. One exception (I'm sure there are others) would be camping at some of the campgrounds on Beartooth Pass, which is a pretty popular motorcycle touring ride. If I remember correctly, I believe there are at least a couple that are over 10,000 feet.
    On our way to the Billings rally Barley and I camped at Beartooth Lake. Our JetBoil functioned normally. I always carry one spare canister but so far have never used it. On our three week 8800 mile VT to the Pacific and back trip for the Salem rally the first canister ran out of fuel one day from home. On that morning I splurged and went to a Starbucks...
    '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Tulliver

http://travelswithbarley.com/