Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How does it feel, satisfying your hunger to tour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How does it feel, satisfying your hunger to tour

What is it about going on a long, multi-day tour that makes us want to keep going back? For me, I see daily life as doing what you need to do to survive, we work, we go about doing our chores, or running around doing what others expect of us for various reasons, and all the while, deep inside, we feel like something isn't being satisfied. Like a tiny hunger that won't go away. Money doesn't fix it, love doesn't even fix it. But when I get on the road and know that I have several days of free adventure and exploration, just me, nothing expected of me. I don't need to be anywhere, do anything I don't want to do. It is 100% free time, just for me to go wherever I want, drift wherever the wind blows me, and survive on only what I can carry. That is when that tiny hunger feels fulfilled. Satisfied. I am at true inner peace with myself and my life. A feeling of euphoria sometimes wells up from deep within while on the road on such a trip and I find myself grinning like an idiot while screaming down the road. Good thing that helmet is on and nobody can see what's really going on there or they might commit me!
    DSCN1919.jpg

I did two trips this summer that were on my post-retirement ride list that included some incredible sights. Yet, I did not find them as satisfying as I had thought I would. They were "bucket list" rides that most people would love to do. But I realized that staying in a motel alone, was not my idea of a great time, not when my wife of 42 years was at home. (No, she won't ride.) I covered a lot of miles and had some great experiences, but unless I'm with some other people who I can share the experience with, it leaves me feeling still empty. We'll see what next summer's trip is like. I'm already planning a trip up to Banff and Jasper next July with two other buddies.

We each find our fulfillment in different ways. As much as I love riding, I realized that I was looking forward to the fall. Most of my prison ministries take a break during the summer months. But with September, I started back into them again and that's what really gives me the enjoyment.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Trip

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    I did two trips this summer that were on my post-retirement ride list that included some incredible sights. Yet, I did not find them as satisfying as I had thought I would. They were "bucket list" rides that most people would love to do. But I realized that staying in a motel alone, was not my idea of a great time, not when my wife of 42 years was at home. (No, she won't ride.) I covered a lot of miles and had some great experiences, but unless I'm with some other people who I can share the experience with, it leaves me feeling still empty. We'll see what next summer's trip is like. I'm already planning a trip up to Banff and Jasper next July with two other buddies.

We each find our fulfillment in different ways. As much as I love riding, I realized that I was looking forward to the fall. Most of my prison ministries take a break during the summer months. But with September, I started back into them again and that's what really gives me the enjoyment.

Chris
    Let your wife pick the destination and drive Pull a trailer and bike you won't get as much riding as you like but happy wife happy life

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Let your wife pick the destination and drive Pull a trailer and bike you won't get as much riding as you like but happy wife happy life
    Or, the alternative is to have her ride her own bike with you! Enjoy!
    IMG_4937.jpg
    CW
    2001 RT, '06 F650GS Dakar, '14 1200RT
    Lots of tires and fluids!

Left Coast Rider
    I've done more riding this year than I have in the past 5 years since I decided to "call it a day" and stopped working. Several overnight trips, a couple of 4 dayers, and one 8 day multi-thousand kilometer trip. Those plus a 7 day solo car trip to a family event.

I do agree with daboo when he says he didn't / doesn't enjoy staying in a hotel alone. I felt the same way the first time I set off on my own. In fact, I came home early from that first trip. The thing is, I tried to do it all at once - planned a multi-day trip to places I had never been. What I should have done was do a couple of over-nighters, then a couple of 3 day rides, and then perhaps a 5 day ride, you know, worked myself into it. What I find now is that not only do I enjoy travelling alone, I find I meet people much more easily than I did before and those are the most interesting parts of my trips. Of course I much prefer to ride with up to three other riders but now, if I feel like going somewhere, I don't let the lack of someone to share the ride hold me back.

One last thing: I am extraordinarily fortunate to have a wife who used to ride and who understands what riding means to me.

Yeah, I'm fortunate too to have a wife that understands what riding means to me. She doesn't give me any grief at all, and in fact encourages me.

I'm used to doing long day trips. Ten, sometimes 12 hours away. I'll usually head off to somewhere like Mt. Baker and do a couple hours of hiking, then head home. My first multi-week trip this summer was with a fellow on a Goldwing. We got along fine and it was good to ride with him. I was home for about a week and a half before heading out to Spearfish, SD. The time seemed too short and I really would've liked to have spent another week at home before heading out like that.

I guess I'm just not like the OP, richardus, who made it sound so wonderful. Sorry to have hijacked your thread, Richard. I'll go retire to the sidelines and lurk.

Chris

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    ....this is the mutual option in a couple years we came up with. Actually it was her idea. I can live with that.
    Looking at a Subaru Outback pulling my GS on a Stinger trailer, but might upgrade the trailer...
    "...the burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind...." Larry of Arubia

like many riders my age, we have come back to it after a long hiatus. After thirty years of inactivity on motorized two wheels my bride and I came back to riding motorcycle. Riding two up came naturally for us as we rode our tandem bicycle with the kids for years and still do. With the years I have put in with the company I work for, I have acquired many weeks of holiday time which my bride and I have been putting to great use,especially now with the bike. Over the last six years we have travelled more across North America than some may do in a lifetime, although we know not as many as some others. We now travel with a trailer in tow as we like to camp, although throwing in the odd Hotel/Motel now and then make things more comfortable. I am able to get off as many as 28-31 days off work at a time which makes long distant touring even more desirable. My bride is a "trooper" even though she detests that moniker, putting in long riding days, riding in inclement weather, or just putting up with me. But.....being able to visit the places we have seen makes it even better, at least for me, when we have been able to do it together. Hopefully we'll have another long excursion next year, Alaska, the Yukon and Northwest Territories await. To echo what has been already said here, you do meet the nicest people on a motorcycle as we have met many. Being able to have done so many long trips as we have before I retire has been a blessing for me and my bride, and one we hope to continue after I decide to finally give up work.

P1040250.jpg
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

...We each find our fulfillment in different ways. As much as I love riding, I realized that I was looking forward to the fall. Most of my prison ministries take a break during the summer months. But with September, I started back into them again and that's what really gives me the enjoyment.

Chris
    I appreciate the suggestions. I really do. I wish. But my wife has sat on each bike I've owned...once...on the center stand...with the engine off. Chuckle...I envy those of you who have wives who will ride with you.

But where I really find my fulfillment is in serving God, whether it is in church during the week, or in the prison. And...I get to be with my wife. It's a win-win. And since I ride my bike everywhere, rain or shine...it is a win-win-win.

I have to admit the last hours of my SS1000 going west on I-90 across Eastern Washington weren't as bad as I thought they would be. I just sat back, pointed the bike at the Cascades and marveled at the beauty of God's Creation. The miles went by very quickly. Unfortunately, I still had to get across Snoqualmie Pass, through construction at night after about 900 miles of riding and with rain coming on. But that earlier part was the best part of the trip for me.

Chris

But where I really find my fulfillment is in serving God... Chris
    First thing that popped into my head was Neil Diamond's

Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show

"Hot August night
    And the leaves hanging down
    And the grass on the ground smelling sweet
    Move up the road
    To the outside of town
    And the sound of that good gospel beat

Sits a ragged tent
    Where there ain't no trees
    And that gospel group
    Telling you and me..."

How about a roaming motorcycle ministry that hit's a bunch of the BMW rallies? The back of the MOA ON is full of them screaming for a little Sunday morning "battlefield alter" worship service.

Snag a small van-type RV and have the missus tag along, or trailer your rig to the event. Ride with the boys on Saturday and dish it up on Sunday morning and then head to the next one.

What say?
    Yeeha! Stephen
    R1200RS, R1200RT, R1200R, (R1150RT = Donated To Charity)
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas

That sounds like a great idea, actually. I'm over on a prison ministry trip in the Philippines right now. So that's something I'd really enjoy.

Chris

I lived in Thornhill just north of Toronto for a year and made the commute into the city every day. I agree the drivers are polite; every time someone cut me off they did it with a smile and a wave.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Albeit a few years ago this guy from smallish town Kansas found himself in Toronto, about three lanes left of where he needed to be to take the upcoming exit. With my turn signal on I was deliberately allowed to change lanes to the right by at least three, maybe four polite motorists. This unlike my experience in numerous other cities I now try to avoid where many motorists take a turn signal as some kind of personal challenge to their manhood or womanhood as the case may be.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Albeit a few years ago this guy from smallish town Kansas found himself in Toronto, about three lanes left of where he needed to be to take the upcoming exit. With my turn signal on I was deliberately allowed to change lanes to the right by at least three, maybe four polite motorists.
    And afterwards these same motorists were probably seen apologizing to the people behind them they momentarily held up.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Albeit a few years ago this guy from smallish town Kansas found himself in Toronto, about three lanes left of where he needed to be to take the upcoming exit. With my turn signal on I was deliberately allowed to change lanes to the right by at least three, maybe four polite motorists. This unlike my experience in numerous other cities I now try to avoid where many motorists take a turn signal as some kind of personal challenge to their manhood or womanhood as the case may be.
    Had a similar thing happen in New Brunswick Canada. I was in a traffic-circle (Rotary for the New Englanders, Roundabout for the Englanders) in the inner lane, when I realized I was about to pass the exit I needed. I slowed down and had my blinker on since there was only one car behind me in the outer lane, expecting as would happen in NJ - they'd pass me on the right and then I could make the turn. As I slowed down, they slowed down. I slowed down more, they slowed down more. I finally came to a stop, they came to a stop. They were absolutely determined to (1) not pass me on the right (2) let me make the exit. I did, waving thanks as I made the exit.

In Toronto - I had exactly the same experience Paul did. People would stop and leave a gap for me to move into if I had a signal on indicating I wanted to change a lane. To a guy from NJ - that was really polite. In NJ they'd try to close any possible gap and then give me the finger as they went past.

That's just one reason I love riding in Canada, and try to do it at least once a year.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!