• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NAV 6 - Continuing Saga - Why Contacts Not Loading

river-runner

I could not get the contacts to load into my brand new $950 USD Nav 6. Just got off the phone with Garmin, seemed like the Garmin rep knew the product well - good guy.

Garmin says the reason my contacts would not load on to my NAV 6 was that my contact list in my Samsung S-4 is too large at 900 contacts. Rep says the maximum you can load is around 200 contacts. Rep also says it could take up to 20-minutes to load 200 contacts via bluetooth and that once the bluetooth connection is stopped, the NAV 6 loses all the contacts and needs to reload contacts again from the start with your next ride....after the 20-minute load delay.

This seems to be a little different reason for the contacts not loading than I have seen here to date. At least the Garmin Guy provided a plausible reason versus it just won't work.

1) 200 contact limit,
2) long load time due to bluetooth, up to 20-minutes,
3) (This one blows me away) contacts lost to Nav 6 when bluetooth connection is terminated, then must load again from scratch the next time you want to use contact list.

I don't see a workaround to this problem for me. Darn........

I do not wish to seem argumentative, but it appears to me you are trying to make a GPS into something it isn't designed to do. Garmin seems to provide a small capability to do a lot of different things. But it is first and foremost a GPS that can't be an information Grand Central Station.

It is my opinion that it is best to use a GPS as a GPS, and a phone as a phone. That saves me a lot of frustration. A lot of folks disagree with me in this regard.

I do not wish to seem argumentative, but it appears to me you are trying to make a GPS into something it isn't designed to do. Garmin seems to provide a small capability to do a lot of different things. But it is first and foremost a GPS that can't be an information Grand Central Station.

It is my opinion that it is best to use a GPS as a GPS, and a phone as a phone. That saves me a lot of frustration. A lot of folks disagree with me in this regard.

Hi PGlaves!

Yes, we pretty much disagree. I figure the product should produce the promised utility/benefits for the money I paid. I expected to spend considerable time learning a complicated system.

Hi PGlaves!

Yes, we pretty much disagree. I figure the product should produce the promised utility/benefits for the money I paid. I expected to spend considerable time learning a complicated system.

You have much more patience than I do. Sincerely, I wish you good luck.

Phone call?

Have you had any luck in making a phone call with your Nav VI?

While I appear to be able to dial out, but I couldn’t hear or converse with my C3-SRC.

I suspect some of the issues might have soemthing to do with the new Do-not-disturb while driving feature on iOS 11.

Hey, I got my NAV VI to give voice directions through my Sena 20S. A major technical accomplishment for me. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead, although I may turn it off.... it's a bit irritating.

Have you had any luck in making a phone call with your Nav VI?

While I appear to be able to dial out, but I couldn’t hear or converse with my C3-SRC.

I suspect some of the issues might have soemthing to do with the new Do-not-disturb while driving feature on iOS 11.

Yes, I can make phone calls. The "Call Home" icon works and I can dial out using the Nav 6. I can use the music player off the Nav 6, I installed a 64G card. Have not figured out the filing system yet for playlists, etc.

I'm using a UClear HBC200HD communicator in the helmet which pairs right up and connects automatically.

Back