Thread: NAV 6 - Continuing Saga - Why Contacts Not Loading

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NAV 6 - Continuing Saga - Why Contacts Not Loading

I could not get the contacts to load into my brand new $950 USD Nav 6. Just got off the phone with Garmin, seemed like the Garmin rep knew the product well - good guy.

Garmin says the reason my contacts would not load on to my NAV 6 was that my contact list in my Samsung S-4 is too large at 900 contacts. Rep says the maximum you can load is around 200 contacts. Rep also says it could take up to 20-minutes to load 200 contacts via bluetooth and that once the bluetooth connection is stopped, the NAV 6 loses all the contacts and needs to reload contacts again from the start with your next ride....after the 20-minute load delay.

This seems to be a little different reason for the contacts not loading than I have seen here to date. At least the Garmin Guy provided a plausible reason versus it just won't work.

1) 200 contact limit,
    2) long load time due to bluetooth, up to 20-minutes,
    3) (This one blows me away) contacts lost to Nav 6 when bluetooth connection is terminated, then must load again from scratch the next time you want to use contact list.

I don't see a workaround to this problem for me. Darn........

I do not wish to seem argumentative, but it appears to me you are trying to make a GPS into something it isn't designed to do. Garmin seems to provide a small capability to do a lot of different things. But it is first and foremost a GPS that can't be an information Grand Central Station.

It is my opinion that it is best to use a GPS as a GPS, and a phone as a phone. That saves me a lot of frustration. A lot of folks disagree with me in this regard.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I do not wish to seem argumentative, but it appears to me you are trying to make a GPS into something it isn't designed to do. Garmin seems to provide a small capability to do a lot of different things. But it is first and foremost a GPS that can't be an information Grand Central Station.

It is my opinion that it is best to use a GPS as a GPS, and a phone as a phone. That saves me a lot of frustration. A lot of folks disagree with me in this regard.
    Hi PGlaves!

Yes, we pretty much disagree. I figure the product should produce the promised utility/benefits for the money I paid. I expected to spend considerable time learning a complicated system.

Quote Originally Posted by tincup View Post
    Hi PGlaves!

Yes, we pretty much disagree. I figure the product should produce the promised utility/benefits for the money I paid. I expected to spend considerable time learning a complicated system.
    You have much more patience than I do. Sincerely, I wish you good luck.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Phone call?

Have you had any luck in making a phone call with your Nav VI?

While I appear to be able to dial out, but I couldnít hear or converse with my C3-SRC.

I suspect some of the issues might have soemthing to do with the new Do-not-disturb while driving feature on iOS 11.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsclo View Post
    Have you had any luck in making a phone call with your Nav VI?

While I appear to be able to dial out, but I couldnít hear or converse with my C3-SRC.

I suspect some of the issues might have soemthing to do with the new Do-not-disturb while driving feature on iOS 11.

Yes, I can make phone calls. The "Call Home" icon works and I can dial out using the Nav 6. I can use the music player off the Nav 6, I installed a 64G card. Have not figured out the filing system yet for playlists, etc.

I'm using a UClear HBC200HD communicator in the helmet which pairs right up and connects automatically.

Hey, I got my NAV VI to give voice directions through my Sena 20S. A major technical accomplishment for me. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead, although I may turn it off.... it's a bit irritating.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost