Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Craig Vetter injured

Craig Vetter injured

I've just received an email from a former co-worker of critcal injuries sustained by Craig when his Streamliner hit a deer Thursday afternoon.

Right before noon today, Craig hit a deer while riding the streamliner. We are at Natividad in Salinas. He is still unconscious They will keep him sedated because of the breathing tube down his throat. He just got moved to ICU. I saw him move his right arm. All the bones around his left eye are broken. Eye ball still in place. Head trauma, broken clavicle and most ribs on his left side too.
    An update from his wife Carol.

Hi all, Carol here. This is day three for Craig. All his numbers are going the way they should. He has a brace on his neck to steady his head because of a C2 fracture. We are hoping to avoid surgery. He has some swelling in his brain so they decreased the sedation and he started wiggling around as we hoped. He is not in a coma.. Looking forward to removing the ventilator down his throat which helps him breathe. All the ribs on his left side are broken so breathing will be painful. Hoping he will wake up today so we can talk to him. It will be a slow process, but he will recover. I am so grateful for all the love and care and prayers. Thank you all so much. This is a great trauma center. We could be here for many weeks. I'm praying we won't be.
    Prayers to all.

He's been into high-mileage stuff for years.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I never met him but liked his vision and products.
    Hope for the best.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

GOD's GRACE to YOU Craig......amen

We heard him speak at the Lima Rally Sunday morning service. Really a great guy, y'all pray for him!
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R1100GS,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Like many here, I had one of his fairings in the mid 70's

Very creative guy.

I'm hoping he heals up well.

Via con Dios Craig

Hang tough brother

A true inivator and visionary. Best wishes for a full recovery.

Craig Vetter, he's been a significant name in the motorcycle industry for many years. Sorry to hear about his accident, best of recovery to him.
    Mark Rooney
    Lindale, TX
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS, 2012 Aprilia Shiver 750, 1992 BMW K75RT
    ('93 K75, '94 K75, '93 R100RT, '94 K11RS)

Best wishes

Hoping for a complete and speedy recovery for you Craig.
    Had one of your Windjammers with the lowers on a 1978 BMW R80 great fairing and you had a great vision for the future of motorcycling when you created it.

This was posted by Duane Ausherman on another forum...Duane and Craig are pretty good friends:

Around mid day the docs decided to bring him back. They cut the meds, removed the breathing tube and eye patches. He can see and move everything. He is complaining about the pain and wants to go home, so that shows that his brain is about normal............ for Craig.

They put him on a drip to reduce his discomfort. He is able to rest more or less in a comfortable fashion, but of course is now fairly sleepy.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks, that is good news.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R1100GS,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Just got this update:

CRAIG VETTER ::
    Duane Austerman just spoke with Zak just as he returned from sitting all night with Craig. He is dead tired and about to hit the rack.
    Craig is now breathing plain air on his own. He is getting a variety of drugs, some for pain and some for his psych.
    He makes little sense and Zak reported that only three times did he ask and respond in a way that made sense. Nearly all of his words are drivel. The docs attribute some of the nonsense to the Morphine and some to the brain damage. The amount of brain damage is not known and it may take weeks or months to clear up............ hopefully.
    He now has some fluid/blood on his lungs and they worry about infection. They are now considering the "least bad" route to go from here.
    Craig is not out of the woods just yet. Carol is so tired that she just stopped answering all of the texts about Craig. Please pass the word on.
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Secretary/Treasurer, MOAF

power of prayer

From first hand experience, after a serious injury, there is almost as much strain on those close by lending support.

If we all remember Craig & Carol in our prayers, the results will be astonishing.

I saw another update by Duane Ausherman...he references info from Craig's oldest son, Zak:

Craig was moved out of the ICU a couple of days ago and was doing well. Wife Carol walked into the room this morning and found him very agitated. She had him instantly moved back into the ICU. I got the call from Zak while on his way to the hospital to find out about the emergency situation. The update is that he had a spike in his sodium level and now they are getting it back under control.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

If you want to follow along on his progress, his wife, Carol, has been sharing on her Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/carolvetter?ref=ts&fref=ts

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles