• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member Collbran Colorado (Grand Junction Area) with two /5s

carlrf

Revisiting Airheads after 10 to 15 year break. Picked up an R60/5 SWB in Evergreen CO and a R75/5 LWB in Denver in the last couple months. Cosmetically both are rough around the edges but appear to be worthy of my efforts so far. Both are running, licensed and insured.
I came out out here from KC MO about 1.5 year ago, living in the mountains. Watching our second snowfall as I write.

00909_iksvWjWu4Wd_600x450.jpg

IMG_20170929_150335.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Nice looking specimens. Guess you'll have the winter to get a game plan together??

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking specimens. Guess you'll have the winter to get a game plan together??

Have changed all fluids in both bikes except forks.
Check and lubed rear splines, R75 shows 10 to 15% wear.
R60 drive shaft didn't have any oil in it. :(
R75 trans output seal leaking into driveshaft. :(
New tires, tubes and rim strips on R75. (not shown in photos)
R60 has considerable corrosion in various places.
Both run very well currently and smoke on startup now and then.
R75 has "rebuilt from salvage" title and stamped on frame. Have removed and replaced the front end, everything was straight except fork/fender brace had a twist, I replaced it.
Have been through petcocks on R75, one rebuilt and one replaced. R60 petcocks replaced before I got it.
New Emgo cigar silencers waiting in box for R60, R75 exhaust has been removed cleaned and replaced. It's BMW / Zeuna? exhaust.
Decent tires already on the R60.
New OEM grips on both.

Welcome to the forum!
The bikes look good from here :)
It's nice to have another proficient "wrench" working on their bikes.
Snow :eek Would it be a problem to keep it out your way? :wave
Gary

Whew! I'm tired...nice work! :thumb I understand the driveshaft doesn't really need much oil, but it does need some. I think the specs call for around 150cc...it would be OK even if as little as 50cc was in there.

Welcome to the forum!
The bikes look good from here :)
It's nice to have another proficient "wrench" working on their bikes.
Snow :eek Would it be a problem to keep it out your way? :wave
Gary

Thanks and .............

Yeah, well I can assure you I will have my fill of the snow.

It's been pointed out to me that the brown paint didn't come out till the /6s. Anybody know for sure?

Back