• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Smartphone Link Not Working / Nav VI / iPhone / iOS 11

cwilhelm

Has anyone else experienced issues with the Garmin Smartphone Link app since upgrading to iOS 11?

I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 11, and since then, I no longer seem to get Live Traffic, the Weather Map or Weather alerts. In the case of the weather alerts, one could argue that is a blessing, but I kind of miss getting traffic alerts and rerouting information. I even tried unpairing/re-pairing and reinstalling the app on my phone. My GPS is paired, my phone and GPS both say they are connected, and Smartphone Link on the GPS shows it is connected to my phone. However, when I go to Traffic, it says it is "Waiting for Traffic Data", and that message never changes.

Since I just upgraded the OS, I'm pretty suspicious that is the cause. Wondering if anyone has upgraded their iPhone and had success.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

I used mine yesterday and the link seemed to work. Running iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 with Smartphone Link and Nav VI. I do not use the traffic feature but the weather part was working correctly and I got notifications. May have been a temporary issue with the weather function. BTW, from your pic it looks like we bought our bikes at the same shop in GR.

11.0.2 on iPhone 6s, and yes—there are issues with Garmin Smartlink to my 590LM. Media player drops out for no reason or fails to start, the 590 sometimes shuts down when the Garmin Gal announces arrival at destination, other periodic issues that float in and out. I saw none of this until updating to 11.0.1, and the update to iOS 11.0.2 has not resolved anything. There are issues with the basic operation of the phone itself since moving to 11.0.x; a few were helped by the 11.0.2 update.

Apple still has some work to do on this one.

Best,
DG

iPhone 6S, iOS 11.0.1, Nav V, working normally. There was an update to the smartphone link app in the last week or so, maybe check to see if you’ve done that update.

NAV VI just updated and so is my iPhone 7 OIS updated.
Have the Garmin SmartLink app installed yesterday.
First time I tried pairing was yaesterday also, no go...
Any ideas?

Villhelm!

Do you seriously expect me to believe that THE Chris Wilhelm can’t figure out a little ole software update glitch... ?

Oh the shame of it all...

The integration between my iPhone 8 (iOS 11.1), Nav VI (ver 4.70) and Sena 20S (ver 1.75) is extremely unstable when it comes to Smartphone Link (ver 2.7.0). Everything else seems to work just fine ... music/radar detector audio through an SM10 into the 20S, phone calls through the iPhone/Nav VI, GPS audio directions and intercom with another 20S. My iPhone is paired only with my Apple watch and the Nav VI. The Nav VI is paired with my iPhone and Sena 20S, and the 20S is paired with the Nav VI and SM10. Successfully getting data from Smartphone Link to display on the Nav VI is temperamental at best and appears dependent upon what devices establish their Bluetooth connection first and whether the Nav VI is coming out of its sleep or powered down state. I've been going back and forth with Garmin tech support with zero luck in establishing and maintaining a stable data connection. I'm envious of those with stable connections. Just yesterday, I would have really liked to be able to monitor the weather radar picture as a cold front passed through my planned route. :banghead

Guess I spoke too soon as I am also seeing the inconsistency Fastman describes. Sometimes the Sena 20S announces “phone connected” and sometimes “media connected”. I am experimenting on each ride with different startup sequences so see if that has an impact but don’t have a solid and repeatable sequence.

My pairing setup is iPhone 6s paired to Zumo 590LM, 590LM paired to Sena 20S, and my Sena 20S paired to my wife’s 20S. Once upon a time I could hit media player on the 590 and it would start up the music player on the phone and allow full control of the player through the 590 screens. Now, I have to start the player on the phone before powering on the 590 or I get no music or can’t control the music. Probably time to reset all the devices and start over, I guess.

Best,
DG

I'm having the same inconsistency problems too. I have an iPhone6 (now running iOS 11.1), a Nav VI (with latest firmware), and a Sena 10S. Just this afternoon, the Smart Link App would not connect with the Nav, even though the phone and Nav are paired. The Smart Link check box in the Nav VI's Bluetooth settings is greyed out, and I can't seem to get it to work. I have the latest version of the Garmin App on my phone. Interestingly, I went for a ride on Friday, and I had the same problem, except that suddenly I started getting traffic alerts, so obviously the Smart Link app, and my iPhone, started to communicate. Don't know why. On top of all this, I can't play music (stored on my phone) via the media app on the Nav VI. While this has been a problem for many right from the Nav VI's introduction, it had been working for me pretty much from the get-go. Now, when I try to browse my music, I get the dreaded message, "trying to download music from the Apple device" (or words to that effect). It's disappointing that Garmin's been aware of this problem for months, and has done nothing about it.

Inconsistency is a good description, or maybe intermittence. Until I updated my iPhone, Smartlink and Nav V last week I usually could pair the Smartlink - now, not at all. To me it seems the "blame" rests with Garmin and I'd appreciate from them a foolproof method (sequence?) of pairing.

I’ve been feeding Garmin techs with lots of info about my configuration and symptoms. It’s supposedly being forwarded up channel to their engineering team. Hopefully they’ll be able to fix this and get it working again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still an issue for me

Inconsistant is the term which best describes my situation. Last weekend it worked great. THis weekend it tells me that it can not connect. Any updates on this problem?

Inconsistant is the term which best describes my situation. Last weekend it worked great. THis weekend it tells me that it can not connect. Any updates on this problem?

Garmin just released an update (at least for their iOS app). I haven’t had a chance to test it out, but stability with the previous version was OK (not great).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine appears to be working in the Neotec 2.
I paired to a friend's SNM10. Wow, it's a whole new dimension in riding with an intercom!
Pretty neat.

So, I bought a 10S Sena for my XD-4 helmet (and updated the firmware). It paired with the NAV VI fine.
Weird issue though. It keeps repeating to me "intercom not connected, try again later".
I'm riding solo and not trying to pair with anyone with the 10S...

I get that if I leave the boom mic outside the helmet with voice activation turned on. It picks up the wind noise and thinks I'm trying to activate the intercom. Turn off the voice activation and/or relocate the microphone.

Back