Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rear tire crown flattening

Rear tire crown flattening

Had my 6,000 mile service done recently. Tech said I needed new tires, as rear tire is 'flat spotted.' It's not really a spot, the whole center crown is worn.

My examination showed plenty of tread left on rear (5/32 center; 7/32 side). Handling seems fine. The flat spotting has probably existed for a while.

So, is this a real problem? I see no reason not to ride a few thousand more miles on them, though the front probably won't last but another one or two thousand.

I ride mostly straight line, hence more center wear than side wear.
    2016 R 1200 R
    Previous: 2016 F 700 GS
    2006 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
    1973 Suzuki TS185K

Left Coast Rider
    I believe 2/32" is a safe minimum tread depth. I think wear bars start to show at 1/32".

If your handling seemed fine, I would have kept the tire you just replaced - but that's me.

If you do much long distance riding, even on two lanes, it's hard to avoid getting a flat spot in the center.
    If you cant feel it when leaned over, don't worry about it.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

What brand of tire?
    Metzler have been known to start the morning out fine and by noon show cords

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    What brand of tire?
    Metzler have been known to start the morning out fine and by noon show cords
    Wow! Is this factual, or anecdotal? If you have personally experienced this, what type of riding were you doing? I have never heard this said about any particular brand of tire.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Wow! Is this factual, or anecdotal? If you have personally experienced this, what type of riding were you doing? I have never heard this said about any particular brand of tire.
    Some tires without a center tread groove or a groove that crosses the center of the tire can wear down to cords before it's down to the center most wear indicators.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

One of the reasons I have the Dunlop Roadsmart III tires on now, is they have a tire groove that reaches out to the center. The Metzeler tires I had on last did not and wore down solely in the middle. FWIW, they seem to be flattening (like every tire will), but the transition to the side tread is still rounded.

Having flattened wear on your tires is not unsafe or a reason to change tires, but you do need to be observant of how much wear is actually happening.
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

3 Red Bricks
    Ride more canyons!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Ride more canyons!

+1. What kind of riding are you planning on? If staying local, ride with what you got. If you're planning a couple thousand mile trip, I'd change 'em out and start fresh. No need scrambling around on a trip to find a replacement.
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '00 R1100RS

The Z6 was particularly problematic. Wear indicators were nowhere near the center of the tire. As a tire flattened the center could be very near the cord with wear indicators still showing plenty of tread. I have personally seen a couple of tires that visually appeared perfectly fine that wound up showing a spot of cord within 100 miles.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by 6322 View Post
    +1. What kind of riding are you planning on? If staying local, ride with what you got. If you're planning a couple thousand mile trip, I'd change 'em out and start fresh. No need scrambling around on a trip to find a replacement.
    Trying to find a tire at a reasonable price on an immediate schedule while on a trip is aggravating at best and traumatic in some cases. Getting a puncture is enough risk. The added risk that a tire will wear out on a trip is not worth it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Yes the metzlers my 1600 looked fine in the am and by noon had cord showing, iíve Bought 2 bikes since each came with metzlerís replaced at 3300 and 4000 miles, I donít trust them

I think every bike in Arizona has flat "spotted" tires! As others have said, this is not an issue unless it is so bad it is affecting turn-in. I am not a Metzeler fan for the reasons stated, as well as that I find Pirelli tires to perform better. Ride on!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Thanks for responses!

Based on above advise, I'm going to keep riding them. Thx. But I am alerted to pay more attention to them. Fronts may go before rears because of tread depth. I found my tread depth indicator tool, and will use it.

Virtually all my riding is two-hour jaunts, into the surrounding counties.
    2016 R 1200 R
    Previous: 2016 F 700 GS
    2006 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
    1973 Suzuki TS185K

Factual! Happened on Z8's on an F800GT. Left town and all was well until 350m later I was shocked to see cords. I know cords were not showing because at about 80m out I had a nail puncture flat so had a very close look at the rear tire.