• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rpm/mph r1100s

spuglisi

Hello and good evening.
I just replaced my R75/6 for a new(er) R1100S. I'm almost part of the 21st Century. What a machine! Literature says 2000 rpm/20 mph. Hence 4Krpm= 80mph. Tach/Speedo says different. 4000 rpm maybe 75 mph. I would appreciate any clarification/explanation. 1999 W/0 ABS. Rear tire size 170/60 ZR 17.
Thanks,
Steve

Hey Steve,
Will slide this over to Oilheads at some point to get more exposure .

Actually spent half the day on our '99 11S today. 4K in 6th seemed to be 70mph if I recall , but rarely use 6th gear unless on a long stretch on a highway. I typically am in 4th or 5th on most rolling and twisty roads. It's a typical BMW in the fact the speedometer is 3-5 off indicated.70 indicated more like 66.

Don't get caught up in the numbers...just enjoy the S! And post a picture in Oilheads, it drives the RS guys nuts:thumb

Also have a /6...the S stops way better:wave

Steve good morning. Thank you for the reply. Very much enjoying a contemporary motorcycle. I should have gotten out of the 20th century earlier. That is if 1999 counts as contemporary. Twin front discs, horsepower to spare, mirrors I can see out of, windscreen, heated grips. I'm in love.
SteveIMG_5318.jpg

I should have gotten out of the 20th century earlier...

That was exactly my reaction when I transitioned to a 2002 RS, from an '82.

The S's are geared shorter than the other Oilers. On the RS and RT, 6th gear will give you 80 mph at 4,000 rpm. It's too tall, for my taste.

now I know

Well that explains it. Now all I have to do is get used to that little bit of tail action that I am not familiar with. My mechanic, who truly does know all, says the bike is perfect. It's me that needs some software upgrades.

tail action

I've experienced a bit of wobble, slide, shimmy, call it what you want, something that troubles me a bit. More like scares me a bit. As if I hit a slick spot on the road. After speaking with my guru, Dan, I am convinced that it is me, not the bike. Just needs more getting use to. Fabulous machine.

Bad tire? Wrong pressure? These are the first, easiest, and cheapest things to check.
Rear drive issue? Paralever needle bearings? Swingarm bearings?
There are threads in the Oilheads section about each of these; maybe have a BMW-experienced mechanic have a look.

I've experienced a bit of wobble, slide, shimmy, call it what you want, something that troubles me a bit. More like scares me a bit. As if I hit a slick spot on the road. After speaking with my guru, Dan, I am convinced that it is me, not the bike. Just needs more getting use to. Fabulous machine.

I'd get a second opinion, Steve. There shouldn't be any movement in the back end. These bikes have way stiffer chassis than Airheads.