• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yonkers NY Police Motorcycle School

Liaison
Staff member
...or how to wreck your motorcycle without even trying!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pdUoQEi8vKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boy - did that bring back memories of my two weeks of 10-hour days in Cleveland, OH back in 2000.

Toughest training I ever went thru..................BEST training I ever went thru! :thumb

Kevin, was that training also on Harleys?

Yes. H-D has a semi that shows up with 16 Road Kings to be utilized. Provides technical support throughout the two-week training course, curriculum sponsored thru Northwestern University (Evanston, IL). Then they are loaded up and it goes off to it's next destination. Visits about 15 sites throughout the USA per year.

I showed up there with more swagger than I should have, thinking 18 years of riding had "taught me everything I needed to know." Got humbled quickly, and crawled my way up to successful completion. Tough training (20% failure rate) - scrapes and bruises common (and for some, severe road rash and even one broken ankle for an unfortunate participant).

FYI, there are many 'cops on bikes,' but much fewer that hold national certification. Glad I got a shot.

Yonkers Moto School

Not everyone gets the opportunity to attend the Yonkers PD moto training school, but the MSF offers a course open to the public called "Ultimate Bike Bonding Course" in many states. It is conducted on your own bike and concentrates on slow speed precision riding, clutch, brake and throttle control and keeping your focus on the horizon. Many of the exercises are similar to what is taught at Moto Training classes. Contact your State DMV to see where or if it is offered somewhere near you. Remaining balanced at speed is easy compared to at walking speeds. :)

Friedle
MSF 27713
20 years experience teaching others to ride better

Yonkers PD moto school

Unfortunately most motor officers do not wear protective gear on duty. Regular pants, short sleeve shirt and a half or three quarter helmet is the uniform of the day for a number of reasons including image. Just take a look around you for the next motor officer you see.

If you take the MSF Ultimate Bike Bonding Course you will be required to wear ATGATT outfitted.

Friedle

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought this up with a speaker our club hosted, someone in an oversight role over UHP motor officers. The official reason given for lack of full riding gear was excessive heat, particularly due to the Kevlar vests the officers are required to wear. Still, it would seem that with today’s gear a compromise could be reached. Maybe one of the gear vendors needs to come up with a mesh version of the classic “Sam Brown” jacket in brown, not black?

Best,
DG

I don't think I have ever seen a picture of a European motor officer without full gear.

Me neither, nor have I heard about a European police department installing aftermarket, loud, "for off road use only" exhaust systems like the City of Oakland, California did to their HD fleet. When questioned why, the answer was that it was because that is what the guys (and gals maybe) wanted. When the cop shop uselessly spends money and breaks the law doing so, it makes you wonder.

Motor Officer riding gear

I brought this up with a speaker our club hosted, someone in an oversight role over UHP motor officers. The official reason given for lack of full riding gear was excessive heat, particularly due to the Kevlar vests the officers are required to wear. Still, it would seem that with today’s gear a compromise could be reached. Maybe one of the gear vendors needs to come up with a mesh version of the classic “Sam Brown” jacket in brown, not black?

Best,
DG

Aerostich offers a Authority version of their Roadcrafter. Must be a LEO to order one

Friedle.

Back