• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Navigator 6 - How Big of a Micro SD Card?

river-runner

Anyone know if a 64 G micro SD card will work in the Nav 6? I want to add a bunch of music. Other Garmin devices have size limitations.

Anyone recommend a program to format a 64G card in FAT32? Won't work with standard WIN 10.......

I found out some ansers to my own questions - BUT - how big a Micro SD card will the Navigator recognize? More music is better.

The Navigator 6 will take a 64 G card, borrowed one from my wife and it works well. This was a fast, class 10 card by the way.

There is a free program from HP, called HPUSBDisk.exe you can download via google. This will take a 32 G plus card and format it with FAT32. My WIN 10 system would not format a 64 G card with Microsoft tools.

Now to get out and test volume levels, etc. The blue tooth was pretty simple to set up between phone, UClear communicator in Helmet and Navigator 6. Next to figure out hands free operations on the phone........

The accessible storage for a FAT32 formatted disk is 32GB - no matter what!

take a 32 G plus card and format it with FAT32

The hp utility just ignores the larger size and puts the FAT32 structure on the SD card anyway. But that FAT32 structure STILL can only access 32GB.

/Guenther

I put a card in my Nav V but am wondering if it was worth the $30. All I use my Nav for is routes. I do my routes in Base Camp and upload them to the Nav, and once I've used the route I erase it. I mean, I live on the East Coast so once I've gone from Valley of Fire NV to Lathrop CA I won't need that route again any time soon, and if I do it's on my laptop. Any waypoints on the route are imported, and I don't erase them. I've been using my Nav V this way for 4 years and over 100,000 miles and never needed the card. If you use it for music that's different.

Thanks for the discussion

Thanks for the discussion; might encourage me to try it again. I had my NavVI sync'd to my Packtalk for a while, but found the GPS audio volume difficult to set so decoupled it. (The main problem with the GPS was that I wasn't patient enough to adjust the GPS volume properly, and it was mismatched between my intercom and was way too loud compared to the intercom--I think that it would work fine if I took the time to balance things. Maybe I'll give it another try with my music on it. The main feature that I need is rider-to-rider communications, but, since I just re-formated my phone and no longer have any music on it, maybe I'll try putting the music on the GPS, instead, this time.)

Correction: FAT32 allows disk sizes larger than 32GB

Corrections: I looked at the hp tool again and indeed it works for volumes >=64GB (actually up-to ~8TB).

/Guenther

I put a card in my Nav V but am wondering if it was worth the $30. All I use my Nav for is routes. I do my routes in Base Camp and upload them to the Nav, and once I've used the route I erase it. I mean, I live on the East Coast so once I've gone from Valley of Fire NV to Lathrop CA I won't need that route again any time soon, and if I do it's on my laptop. Any waypoints on the route are imported, and I don't erase them. I've been using my Nav V this way for 4 years and over 100,000 miles and never needed the card. If you use it for music that's different.

Is it available to store additional maps? I see I have 1.5Gb unused storage on the on board 8Gb and every time I do a map update it doesn't change much.

Back