• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Express Update

exgman

Garmin Express (for the MAC) updated today to Version 5.7.0.0. This could mean the map update is imminent.

Thanks for the update, ExGman! I spent a good bit of Thursday updating my 4 GPS units. If Garmin would standardize the update software/procedure throughout their lineup, my life would be so much easier.

As I said, I have 4 units, a 10-year-old Nuvi 550 that I take with me when traveling. It has an SD card with plenty of room for the full North American map. I also have a Nuvi 2539, a Montana, and a Nav5. Each has it's own computer for downloading (another story for another time), each desktop has the most current version of Garmin Express and all run Windows10.

Nuvi 550: Plug in the Nuvi, check for updates, update Garmin Express (if required), then Nuvi 550, then select option to update map to BaseCamp only. Once BaseCamp map is updated, open BaseCamp and use the Maps option to select the latest map version and update the map on the Nuvi 550, which is stored on the SD card. BaseCamp has always updated the SD card correctly, and has also always deleted the previous version of the North American map.

Nuvi 2539: Plug in the 2539, check for updates, update Garmin Express (if required), then the 2539. 2539 update requires to unplug the unit from the computer, restart the 2539,then plug it back into the computer to update the map on the 2539. Map updates with no problem, and software deletes the previous version of the North American map.

Nav5: Plug in the Nav5. Only update available is the Map version to 2018.3. Garmin Express asks if I want to update Nav5, Nav5 & BaseCamp, or just BaseCamp. I update both the Nav5 and BaseCamp. Software correctly deletes previous version 2018.2.

Montana: Even though I have a plenty of internal memory and a large SD card, Garmin Express says it can't directly update the Montana and can only update BaseCamp. I select this option, update BaseCamp, then use BaseCamp/MapInstall to update the Montana. The map resides on the SD card. MapInstall updates the Montana to 2018.3, but does not delete 2018.2. I use FileManager and delete 2018.2

All units are up-to-date, and all units have the same base map (2018.3) now. Boy, would it be easier if they all used the same procedures and all would correctly delete the previous version. And if I could use one desk top and update all Garmins, it would be even easier!

Thanks for the update, ExGman! I spent a good bit of Thursday updating my 4 GPS units. If Garmin would standardize the update software/procedure throughout their lineup, my life would be so much easier.

All units are up-to-date, and all units have the same base map (2018.3) now. Boy, would it be easier if they all used the same procedures and all would correctly delete the previous version. And if I could use one desk top and update all Garmins, it would be even easier!

Well, that certainly seems like a lot of investment of both dollars and time in Garmin Units! I only use my Garmin NavV on my RT. Otherwise, I've completely gone over to using WAZE and Google Maps apps on an iPhone 6S Plus, both in my car and when walking around. Of course, that hardware and those apps are only useful when there's cell service.

I did try navigating on foot in Rome and Napoli, Italy last week with the iPhone and it worked just fine. However, that would not be the case in many parts of the US, and I imagine that's where you're using all those Garmin units.

Well, that certainly seems like a lot of investment of both dollars and time in Garmin Units! I only use my Garmin NavV on my RT. Otherwise, I've completely gone over to using WAZE and Google Maps apps on an iPhone 6S Plus, both in my car and when walking around. Of course, that hardware and those apps are only useful when there's cell service.

I did try navigating on foot in Rome and Napoli, Italy last week with the iPhone and it worked just fine. However, that would not be the case in many parts of the US, and I imagine that's where you're using all those Garmin units.

Each has its own use --

Nuvi 550 -- I take with me on my trips by air. It's small, lightweight, has good audio, and if I lose it on a trip, it's had a good life, and I've gotten my money's worth out of it several times over.
Nuvi 2539 -- Large, bright screen and good audio. Fast update of routes, etcetera, also gives traffic reports of delays ahead, and was inexpensive! If I remember, it was less than $150 last Christmas. (Thanks to whoever on this site posted about Garmin's sale last Christmas). Use it in my car and truck on trips.
Montana 650 -- Was my motorcycle unit (I still use it with my Triumph Bonneville, with an AMP mount wired to a Powerlet plug). I use it now on bicycle trips, as it has about a 6-8 hour battery life on it's rechargeable batteries (and it can also use 4 AA alkaline batteries, so it's easy to carry extra batteries and replace if the rechargeable batteries run down before reaching the day's destination. Also has a large, fairly bright screen.
Nav5 -- Use on my RT only. When on the RT, it communicates via Bluetooth to my Sena and to my cell phone. Works great, but wish I had a brighter screen. I love the screen on the Nav6, but the Nav6 doesn't offer enough new features to justify a new $950 purchase. Would rather use the money for auxiliary lights.

Back