• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 GSA reflector recall

Here's what I was told at the dealership last week (end of April '18): Dealers have the parts req'd to address the reflector recall issue on the pannier frames, but are still awaiting the solution for adding side reflectors to the Atacama side panniers. .

Saw this picture on i-BMW today.

attachment.jpg

My dealer closed before the reflector issue on my R1200GS could be officially remedied. At least I had the fork recall done before Country Rode closed their doors. As I mentioned, I already fixed the reflector issue myself with some truck stop red reflective tape wrapped around the rear corners of the Vario cases.

My dealer closed before the reflector issue on my R1200GS could be officially remedied. At least I had the fork recall done before Country Rode closed their doors. As I mentioned, I already fixed the reflector issue myself with some truck stop red reflective tape wrapped around the rear corners of the Vario cases.

I chose to ignore the reflector recall for our RSs as I did not like the placement BMW calls for.

I'm also ignoring the recall for the BMW HP LED turn signal we have on the RSs.

Those reflectors on the luggage rack weigh about a pound a look like cr^p so I took them off. I have plenty of reflective material on the bike and myself to be seen.
The reflectors sticking out below the soft luggage is really dumb looking so I too suspect of it's imminent removal by the new owner....

Last edited:
I failed to respond to the reflector recall. Now I am regularly being followed by black Suburbans with heavily tinted windows, I am occasionally awakened by the unmistakable sound of rotar-wash and my Federal taxes are being audited for the past 8 years.

The reflector fix on the Adventures was tolerable both on the racks and the bags in my opinion. Odd but my 2012 has the very same bags but my dealer said I was not part of the recall. But those things on the soft bags just look stupid! I'd be removing them before I got home from the dealer!

I failed to respond to the reflector recall. Now I am regularly being followed by black Suburbans with heavily tinted windows, I am occasionally awakened by the unmistakable sound of rotar-wash and my Federal taxes are being audited for the past 8 years.

You must have done something else, because I'm pretty sure they follow you in black G-Wagons.:german

Since the recall is nominally a "safety issue", BMW really cannot sell bikes that are known to be non-compliant with US government safety standards--even in a minor way-- because BMW would then be exposed legally if there were a collision. It doesn't make any difference how silly it sounds to riders; personal injury lawyers would use this to show that the BMW bikes sold were "inherently unsafe. Too much potential risk for BMW to ignore. )

Lawyer here - the above is incorrect. The bikes cannot be sold if they don’t meet DOT regs. This issue makes them non-compliant. It’s a regulation thing, not a liability thing

We can have this debate if we want. But the post I quoted reflects a very bad. Mis-understanding of US product liability law. It does not work as that poster (no offense intended) thinks it does.

This is off topic to the thread but it really bothers me that decades of insurance industry propaganda have convinced many of us that our litigation system is “jackpot justice” or some other nonsense.

If anyone really cares to have this debate send me a PM and I’ll start a thread in the appropriate general section so as not to hijack this thread / section.

I work on product liability cases among others (both for the plaintiff and the defendants) and have done so for over 20 years.

Back