Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2018 GSA reflector recall

Quote Originally Posted by b-crow View Post
    I received a letter in the mail yesterday that said the situation has been corrected, and I can bring in my bike to have the correction installed.
    I received the same correspondence from BMW on 10-21-17 advising the dealers were ready to complete the recall repair on GS and GSA units 2013 -2017. The notice further advised to contact your dealer IMMEDIATELY to schedule an appointment. I contacted my Dealer and was advised that they have nothing to fix the GSA. The dealer futher advised that he BMW Rep advised that the Recall notice was sent in error by BMW North America. The Rep advised the Dealer that the GS is the only unit they have recall fix for at this time. Is this latest correspondence an attempt by BMW NA to get NHTSA off their butt and to load the liability onto the consumer if they donít have the recall performed?

Quote Originally Posted by 146023 View Post
    Is this latest correspondence an attempt by BMW NA to get NHTSA off their butt and to load the liability onto the consumer if they donít have the recall performed?
    I suspect it is purely the result of corporate chaos. They are scrambling with this uniquely US problem. We view BMW as a big corporation- which it is on the car side - but back when I was MOA President in the late 20th century, not counting parts hustlers in the warehouse BMWNA (motorcycles) had exactly 13 people total in the headquarters in New Jersey. The MOA office was half that big.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

BMW has not managed this rack problem well.

I've got a bike I bought 9-17 that I wanted to take some two or three day camping trips before the rain started.

Not too many two/three/four day runs of sunshine in the Pacific NW now till spring.

Not real high on BMW right now.
    Last edited by tincup; 10-27-2017 at 05:45 AM.

I thought this recall only impacted GSW's but got a recall notice yesterday for my 2012 GSA .

Does anyone have a photo of what the fix looks like?
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    I thought this recall only impacted GSW's but got a recall notice yesterday for my 2012 GSA .

Does anyone have a photo of what the fix looks like?
    Here's the fix. Dealer completed it today. I finally have my bags.

Bag 1.jpg
    Bad 2.jpg
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Well.......at least that's over
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Still better than a foot long extension at the license plate!

I'm seriously laughing at the fix and not for y'all having to wait on such a minor fix.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Still better than a foot long extension at the license plate!

I'm seriously laughing at the fix and not for y'all having to wait on such a minor fix.
    I also thought the GSA fix would be a ugly extended bracket.
    I thought the fix looked good on the GSA I saw at the Kansas City shop today and the owner seemed happy with the look.

R1200RS reflectors are not in at this time.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I see there are 29,000 bikes requiring the reflector fix, going back several years.

How long does it take to make, distribute, notify and install 29,000 fix-it parts?

My Mosko Moto bags came today, would like to hang them on the bike.....wish I had racks......(very, very nice quality and fast delivery. Whoever designed these bags has traveling experience and thought it out.)

You guys with the shock, reflector and turn signal recalls should get a desk and nameplate at the dealership!

Does anyone know what the fix looks like for the Vario cases on an R1200GS? Since the Vario cases don't require the tubular frames that the aluminum boxes have (which can block the reflectors?), I assume there is no modification to the bike, only the cases?

I already put a set of these Motoreflective reflective panels on the rear of my Vario cases. The kit came with small reflective tabs for the sides of the Vario cases (which I installed). You can see what they look like by going to the Motoreflective link. From the photos of the aluminum side cases in this thread, I think I already have a larger reflective area on the sides of my cases than the mod would install.

I am considering adding the Motoreflective side panels to my cases. As the saying goes, you can't be too rich or too conspicuous. (I think I have that right.)

Ken
    2015 R1200GS

I got got a letter also. I have a 2012 GSA. Will see whatís required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reflectors

Quote Originally Posted by OldNuke View Post
    Here's the fix. Dealer completed it today. I finally have my bags.

Bag 1.jpg
    Bad 2.jpg
    When those fine new reflectors break what do you think the new ones will cost you $40 each or more or less?

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    When those fine new reflectors break what do you think the new ones will cost you $40 each or more or less?
    I have more than one bike with missing or obstructed reflectors and no LEO or annual inspection ever took notice. Their ability to hammer a manufacturer is not quite the same as trying to hammer every bike owner in the USA.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Safer?

Looking at these reflectors how do they make things safer for me? If I am crossing in front of another vehicle by the time they see these reflectors on the back of the bike I am past them or they have hit me. The size 3 or 4 square inches?IMG_1012.jpg

You can see red reflector on side bag, if you expand picture you can see the silver white dot mandated truck reflective stuff under the blue RS label. When the light hits this you can see it and I think it does make things safer for me.
    Same stuff on side of milk crate ( top box and safety reflectors)

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I have more than one bike with missing or obstructed reflectors and no LEO or annual inspection ever took notice. Their ability to hammer a manufacturer is not quite the same as trying to hammer every bike owner in the USA.
    I used to be a TX State approved inspector. Little things like reflectors cracked or missing I would just point out the problem to the vehicle owner and suggest they be fixed by next inspection.

UNTIL! I approved a bike missing the yellow front fork reflectors, attached the TX State sticker, and pulled the bike around for customer pickup. My local State Trooper in charge of my inspection station district just happened to visit my shop on the same day. He caught the error, read me the riot act and threatened to pull my license and my bond.

From then on I was a by-the-letter inspector guy. Don't take your bike to one of those shops! Ha!
    Yeeha! Stephen
    R1200RS, R1200RT, R1200R, (R1150RT = Donated To Charity)
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas