• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2018 GSA reflector recall

Does anyone have information on the current status of the reflector and luggage rack recall on the 2018 GSA? Can BMW sell the aluminum cans for the GSA and can deliver the 2018 Model GSA with the luggage racks? 😡:banghead

A salesman almost two weeks ago said they can not sell anything that blocks the side rear reflector until they get the official reflectors for the cases.
It has been several days so I have no idea what the current situation is.

I was told by my dealer last week I could come in to get my racks mounted. This situation must have worked its way through the DOT.

They didn't know what they were talking about....found this out when I got to the dealer - 45 miles from my house. Yes, I was kind of P.O.'ed.

Last edited:
letter

I received a letter in the mail yesterday that said the situation has been corrected, and I can bring in my bike to have the correction installed.

I guess this includes 2013-2017 GSAs

I received a letter yesterday that included my 2014 GSA because I bought side cases from BMW with the bike. The letter read 2013-2017 bikes with cases.

I got a letter yesterday too, recalling my 2013-2017 GS, except our newest motorcycle at the moment is a 2007 and it is an F800. If I do have a GS BMW forgot to tell me where they put it. :banghead :)

I got a letter yesterday too, recalling my 2013-2017 GS, except our newest motorcycle at the moment is a 2007 and it is an F800. If I do have a GS BMW forgot to tell me where they put it. :banghead :)

Are you sure it wasn't an advance recall on your forthcoming G310GS?

I got one too for a 2013-2017 F800R and F800GT but my bike:scratch is a 2007 F800ST. What is going on here BMW?

Recall is a liability issue, not a technical issue

Does anyone have information on the current status of the reflector and luggage rack recall on the 2018 GSA? Can BMW sell the aluminum cans for the GSA and can deliver the 2018 Model GSA with the luggage racks? 😡:banghead

Since the recall is nominally a "safety issue", BMW really cannot sell bikes that are known to be non-compliant with US government safety standards--even in a minor way-- because BMW would then be exposed legally if there were a collision. It doesn't make any difference how silly it sounds to riders; personal injury lawyers would use this to show that the BMW bikes sold were "inherently unsafe. Too much potential risk for BMW to ignore.

Though I am unclear on the actual extent to the sales "hold", I believe it applies to sales of racks and cases, and bikes that come with racks, e.g., GSA's. Not sure how exactly the various cases fit into this matrix.

(I'd be interested to know what percentage of a GSA purchase price is attributable to legal defense costs!)

(I wouldn't want to be the engineer responsible at BMW for this fiasco. I speculate that their various design teams were operating too independently, with no one in keeping tabs on the overall design, and meeting the various countries' conflicting safety requirements. And, of course, this may not affect bikes sold in some other less litigious countries.)

It just seems so silly.

Go to Pep Boys spend 2.98 and buy two stick on reflectors,done!

I really have to wonder at the wisdom of BMW on a issue like this.

Why would there be this amount of wait for this simple thing? Once they have the 100 dollar BMW fix then you could bring your bike in for reflection of the BMW kind.

The fix probably must be approved by a platoon of bureaucrats. Should have beeen handled as a service campaign rather than a recall.

Does anyone have information on the current status of the reflector and luggage rack recall on the 2018 GSA? Can BMW sell the aluminum cans for the GSA and can deliver the 2018 Model GSA with the luggage racks? ��:banghead

Recently traded my 2014 GSA. Still applied to my new 2018 GSA. Picked up the bike 2 weeks ago. Left the dealer with everything including the bag mounts, but not the saddlebags. They still sit at the dealer on hold.

20171012_111133.jpg

I got the recall letter in the mail a few days ago. I'm not in any big hurry to get the bike back to the dealer because I took care of the problem the first week I owned the bike. The rear of most BMW bikes are darker than a moonless night at 2:00 a.m., so I started off with some red reflective tape, but then I noticed that the red BMW reflectors were screened by the Vario cases so I wrapped the red reflective tape around the corners of the cases to address that issue.

PS: the fork recall fix has been done and looks good - very sturdy looking one-piece collars installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
I received a letter in the mail yesterday that said the situation has been corrected, and I can bring in my bike to have the correction installed.
I received the same correspondence from BMW on 10-21-17 advising the dealers were ready to complete the recall repair on GS and GSA units 2013 -2017. The notice further advised to contact your dealer IMMEDIATELY to schedule an appointment. I contacted my Dealer and was advised that they have nothing to fix the GSA. The dealer futher advised that he BMW Rep advised that the Recall notice was sent in error by BMW North America. The Rep advised the Dealer that the GS is the only unit they have recall fix for at this time. Is this latest correspondence an attempt by BMW NA to get NHTSA off their butt and to load the liability onto the consumer if they don’t have the recall performed?

Is this latest correspondence an attempt by BMW NA to get NHTSA off their butt and to load the liability onto the consumer if they don’t have the recall performed?

I suspect it is purely the result of corporate chaos. They are scrambling with this uniquely US problem. We view BMW as a big corporation- which it is on the car side - but back when I was MOA President in the late 20th century, not counting parts hustlers in the warehouse BMWNA (motorcycles) had exactly 13 people total in the headquarters in New Jersey. The MOA office was half that big.

BMW has not managed this rack problem well.

I've got a bike I bought 9-17 that I wanted to take some two or three day camping trips before the rain started.

Not too many two/three/four day runs of sunshine in the Pacific NW now till spring.

Not real high on BMW right now.

Last edited:
I thought this recall only impacted GSW's but got a recall notice yesterday for my 2012 GSA .

Does anyone have a photo of what the fix looks like?

I thought this recall only impacted GSW's but got a recall notice yesterday for my 2012 GSA .

Does anyone have a photo of what the fix looks like?

Here's the fix. Dealer completed it today. I finally have my bags.

Bag 1.jpg
Bad 2.jpg

Back