Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: 2018 GSA reflector recall

  1. #31
    Registered User YeehaStephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts
    70
    Complete hijack...

    This has nothing to do with the reflector recall, but while looking up reflector specs for Texas, look what I found in the Texas Vehicle Code apparently to appease our Goldwing and Harley auxiliary light fetish friends


    LED GROUND EFFECT LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON MOTORCYCLE. (a) In this section, "LED ground effect lighting equipment" means light emitting diode (LED) technology that is attached to the underbody of a motorcycle for the purpose of illuminating:

    (1) the body of the motorcycle; or

    (2) the ground below the motorcycle.

    (b) A person may operate a motorcycle equipped with LED ground effect lighting that emits a non-flashing light.
    Yeeha! Stephen
    R1200RS, R1200RT, R1200R, (R1150RT = Donated To Charity)
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas

  2. #32
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by YeehaStephen View Post
    Complete hijack...

    This has nothing to do with the reflector recall, but while looking up reflector specs for Texas, look what I found in the Texas Vehicle Code apparently to appease our Goldwing and Harley auxiliary light fetish friends


    LED GROUND EFFECT LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON MOTORCYCLE. (a) In this section, "LED ground effect lighting equipment" means light emitting diode (LED) technology that is attached to the underbody of a motorcycle for the purpose of illuminating:

    (1) the body of the motorcycle; or

    (2) the ground below the motorcycle.

    (b) A person may operate a motorcycle equipped with LED ground effect lighting that emits a non-flashing light.
    HA! Who knew!
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  3. #33
    Registered User wbrownell9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New Castle, DE
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The fix probably must be approved by a platoon of bureaucrats. Should have beeen handled as a service campaign rather than a recall.
    The fix has been approved by the platoon of bureaucrats, that's why the letter went out. Now it's just a matter of waiting (and waiting, and waiting, and...) for the parts.

    It was a safety recall, the key words in the campaign are: "... risk of a crash."

    Agreed, a service campaign would have been so much easier. I wouldn't be surprised if prior years have the same issue. But at least we'll be safely reflectorized (eventually) while those other guys will continue to take their lives in their hands every time they go out. Those things will kill you, doncha know.
    2016 R1200 GSA

  4. #34
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    9,216
    Quote Originally Posted by YeehaStephen View Post
    I used to be a TX State approved inspector. Little things like reflectors cracked or missing I would just point out the problem to the vehicle owner and suggest they be fixed by next inspection.

    UNTIL! I approved a bike missing the yellow front fork reflectors, attached the TX State sticker, and pulled the bike around for customer pickup. My local State Trooper in charge of my inspection station district just happened to visit my shop on the same day. He caught the error, read me the riot act and threatened to pull my license and my bond.

    From then on I was a by-the-letter inspector guy. Don't take your bike to one of those shops! Ha!
    Have had local shops hammered for pass thru inspections and loss of their permit. Good news is after March 2018, the inspection requirement in Texas is over for most vehicles except large commercial rigs and trailers over 5000 GVW

    Remember when you had to have four square inches of reflective material on sides of your helmet or the LEO would kindly stop you?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  5. #35
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Have had local shops hammered for pass thru inspections and loss of their permit. Good news is after March 2018, the inspection requirement in Texas is over for most vehicles except large commercial rigs and trailers over 5000 GVW

    Remember when you had to have four square inches of reflective material on sides of your helmet or the LEO would kindly stop you?
    WOW ... now that is a flashback! That was the law in NJ when I started riding in 1989. BUT in NJ you can get state inspection for FREE (at least that is how it used to be) if you went to the state inspection stations.

    I am thrilled that in NC they eliminated the stupid sticker that they would slap on the bike somewhere. Thankfully my dealer always found an inconspicuous spot to put it. But what a pain!
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  6. #36
    Registered User YeehaStephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts
    70
    I heard that Bill died. but, I'm so out of the loop I may have missed it.
    Yeeha! Stephen
    R1200RS, R1200RT, R1200R, (R1150RT = Donated To Charity)
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas

  7. #37
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    9,216
    Quote Originally Posted by YeehaStephen View Post
    I heard that Bill died. but, I'm so out of the loop I may have missed it.
    I saw a news story on it and local shop said they had notice sent to them as a revenue stream is changing
    Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    WOW ... now that is a flashback! That was the law in NJ when I started riding in 1989. BUT in NJ you can get state inspection for FREE (at least that is how it used to be) if you went to the state inspection stations.

    I am thrilled that in NC they eliminated the stupid sticker that they would slap on the bike somewhere. Thankfully my dealer always found an inconspicuous spot to put it. But what a pain!
    We lost the stickers a year or so back, still required to secure a $12 inspection currently before heading to county assessor office for license sticker . Still use the sticker flap under license plate as a mudflap on a few bikes!
    The trailer weight requirement changed in August and our toyhauler is now exempt

    The whole reflector debacle is pretty silly to me.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  8. #38
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post

    The whole reflector debacle is pretty silly to me.
    Totally agree! And back in the days of the R1100RT and R1150RT you could get the bags with reflectors or the "Touring" badges on the sides. Next thing you know they will be recalling those too.

    And the irony is many many BMW owners add way more reflective stuff to the bags on their own.
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  9. #39
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Remember when you had to have four square inches of reflective material on sides of your helmet or the LEO would kindly stop you?
    Still in effect in New York: I'm the only motorcyclist in the state in compliance...
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Totally agree! And back in the days of the R1100RT and R1150RT you could get the bags with reflectors or the "Touring" badges on the sides. Next thing you know they will be recalling those too.

    And the irony is many many BMW owners add way more reflective stuff to the bags on their own.
    Yep, I owned a R1150RT with Touring Badge, I still have them since I removed and replace with BMW reflectors. I do think it's important for the bike to have side markers that can be seen

    Jay

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 331
    Last Post: Today, 12:32 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2017, 11:50 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-10-2017, 05:12 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 02:53 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •