Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GS-911 Value

There are certain dealerships in the U.S. that consistently earn praise. Hermy's is one of them. My dealer - Engle Motors in Kansas City is another. The joint BMW - Harley dealer in Grand Juncion and Mac's in Clarkston, Washington are a couple more. In the instant case, congrats to Hermy's for doing again what they do so well.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I think I'd add in Lynnwood Motoplex, a combination of several brands under one roof. I've only had a couple reasons to go there, but their service has been excellent, the service managers are as well, and the parts guys give a military discount. Plus, while you wait, you can take out a BMW for a multi-hour test ride.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    For those who do their own service the GS-911 is must, in my case I do oil changes more frequently that every 6000 miles, so the time and money saved by not visiting dealer mounts quickly
    You choose how to spend your money but I don't choose to spend my money on oil changes that BMW says aren't needed.
    2016 R1200 GSA

GS-911 Value

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    You choose how to spend your money but I don't choose to spend my money on oil changes that BMW says aren't needed.
    Ok, so I think I am hearing this. If we always do our own light maint. at the 6K, 12K etc intervals, we all do save money, however......we lose those savings each time we bring the bike in to get the servcie light reset ($35.00).....which would be free if the dealer does the service, that we all just did ourselves. So the $400 cost of a GS-911 does very little to actually pay for itself over time, just clearing service reminder lights, when we do the service. So I am leaning towards the post where someone said the GS-911 can check for electronic faults, and if you get a big fault on a trip and the bike wont start as a example, the GS-911 could actually clear the fault and get you going again. I would say that with this example, the GS-911 actually has more value in getting you out of a possible emergency, then a product that just saves a bit of money for clearing service codes and such. So my next questuion is, I am told a random fault that shuts the bike down on 2010 and newer BMW's is now a very rare occurance. Older than 2010, it happens more often. So if I have a newer Bike, I cant justify the GS-911, but if I have a older bike, the GS-911 would be a must have ?

Quote Originally Posted by gsa5 View Post
    Ok, so I think I am hearing this. If we always do our own light maint. at the 6K, 12K etc intervals, we all do save money, however......we lose those savings each time we bring the bike in to get the servcie light reset ($35.00).....which would be free if the dealer does the service, that we all just did ourselves. So the $400 cost of a GS-911 does very little to actually pay for itself over time, just clearing service reminder lights, when we do the service. So I am leaning towards the post where someone said the GS-911 can check for electronic faults, and if you get a big fault on a trip and the bike wont start as a example, the GS-911 could actually clear the fault and get you going again. I would say that with this example, the GS-911 actually has more value in getting you out of a possible emergency, then a product that just saves a bit of money for clearing service codes and such. So my next questuion is, I am told a random fault that shuts the bike down on 2010 and newer BMW's is now a very rare occurance. Older than 2010, it happens more often. So if I have a newer Bike, I cant justify the GS-911, but if I have a older bike, the GS-911 would be a must have ?
    IMHO it's not a must have unless you plan to keep the bike a long time and do your own maintenance. It's a nice to have just like that flat fixing kit in your bike. You may never use it but if you do need it, you'll be glad it's there. That being said, I have used my gs-911 a few times more than my flat fix kit. Just to reset codes after I installed accessories.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by gsa5 View Post
    If you do your own maintenance and keep the bike (or stay with BMW) for a few years the GS-911 isn't hard to justify IMHO. Service reminders (my dealer gets $50-$60), properly bleed your ABS system (GS-911 and spreedbleader you're done in no time) and a few other things see here http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs...tion-chart#K52. Knowing what a problem is, huge. The $400 model can do service reminders for up to 10 bike, so go in on it with others. Down the road you can upgrade to the pro (unlimited number of bikes) if needed.

I got mine when they first came out, its become more useful to me as enhancement are released at no extra charge (at least for now).

Jay

I also use mine as a "peace-of-mind" tool.
    Check the fault codes, reset the throttle bodies, reset/check the other parameters... before I head out on my overnighter/away from home trips. That gives me a little bit warmer fuzzy feeling as I roll past the city limit sign.

Kinda like having your own tire changer. You don't have to wait till the dealer is open or wait for an appointment. If have the mind to, you can steal out into the garage in your underwear in the middle of the night to set your bike up for your next adventure.

A man can't have too many tools!
    Yeeha! Stephen
    R1200RS, R1200RT, R1200R, (R1150RT = Donated To Charity)
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas