• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS-911 Value

Gsa2@me.com

I am new to the Forum, so I will already assume this has been discussed somewhere before, so I am tossing out a big sorry in advance here. So here is my question. On newer Bmers, the 6K service, 12K service and so on, can be done by ourselves for those with the skill set and being able to research how to do the valves, brake flush and so on, and having the applicable tools. So that is good, and the GS-911 can help with that to reset the servcie reminder, bleed the brakes and so on. However, the newer bikes still have to be brought in to the dealerships at these intervals, to download any latest and greatest software from BMW. None of us can do that for sure. So when you get down to it, if the bike must be brought in at the servcie intervals for the software checking, upgrading, and downloading anyway, what is the real value of doing the service ourselves, and having the GS-911 system ? My dealer wants $98.00 to do the 6K service, which includes the software stuff, and resetting the servcie reminder. If I do the 6K myself and then bring the bike in for just the servcie reminder to be cleared, it will cost me $40.00, and if I go that route the 6K is done, the service reminder is cleared, but no computer downloads and so on are performed. I guess what I am trying to say is, if we all have to go in anyway at these intervals for the software, it seems like a lot of work to do it all ourselves, and yet not have any software upgrades in the end, so why not just take the bikes in at the servcie intervals, and not spend $399 + on a GS-911 ? Kinda long windered here. Sorry.

if the bike must be brought in at the servcie intervals for the software checking, upgrading, and downloading

My dealer wants $98.00 to do the 6K service, which includes the software stuff, and resetting the servcie reminder. .

It's not required to bring the bike in for software updates every 6,000 miles.
If the bike is running good I don't like the idea of a software update. The latest update is not always the best.
On our K1300S bikes neither bike ever had a software update.
On our current bikes a calibration was done to help improve the gear shift assist. Before they could do the calibration on the GSA the computer had to download the latest update.
The calibration helped but the computer update caused both bikes to show a low oil warning when the oil is at the middle of the window.

If the $98 is parts and labor and you are within a hour or two of a shop, not sure I would bother with a GS911.

2017 GSA. At the 600 mile mark, I was told two downloads / upgrades were needed. Today, at the 6K mark, about four months later, I was told two more were pending. The other issue is, (as I am told) is once the mothership is plugged in, she will also be reviewing how the bike itself is doing, and will do "correction" / "adjustments" at the same time it is downloading all the latest software into the bike. I do like your idea of just keeping it simple and no worrying about all the downloads. Still not sure the GS-911 has a $400 vaule in all this however.

For those who do their own service the GS-911 is must, in my case I do oil changes more frequently that every 6000 miles, so the time and money saved by not visiting dealer mounts quickly

For those who do their own service the GS-911 is must,

I'm 180 miles from Kansas City or Iowa City so I do as much service as I can on our 2 bikes and it does not take long to pay for a GS911.

My understanding is that software updates are billed to the customer at the current labor rate. A "required" update sounds like it should be a warranty item, free to the customer regardless of who has done the routine maintenance work. Absent a problem, I'd be questioning why an update is necessary, or if it is just padding the bill.

Last edited:
The first time things get a bit wonky (tech term) and the bike just seems not quite right, or a symbol appears on the instrument cluster, a GS911 is a great asset. You check for faults yourself - then decide if a fix is in your pay grade or you must go to the dealer. A couple of these instances more than pays for the diagnostic tool.

My understanding is that software updates are billed to the customer at the current labor rate. .

Software updates to add options like ABS Pro, or Hill Start are billed to the customer.
If I walk in with a bike still in warranty and ask for the latest software update I have the feeling I would be billed.

When I was asking about the rough shifting Shift Assist I was not billed for the calibration or software update.

Last edited:
Long Walk

I changed spark plugs and didn't torque one properly and one backed out. I reseated the plug, but bike decided I'd go no farther. Pushed the bike 1/4 mile to a farm, called the wife, called BMW and they picked it up the following day. Dealer cleared the fault code and bike was all better. If I'd had a GS911 I would have saved all that hassle.

There are certain dealerships in the U.S. that consistently earn praise. Hermy's is one of them. My dealer - Engle Motors in Kansas City is another. The joint BMW - Harley dealer in Grand Juncion and Mac's in Clarkston, Washington are a couple more. In the instant case, congrats to Hermy's for doing again what they do so well.

I think I'd add in Lynnwood Motoplex, a combination of several brands under one roof. I've only had a couple reasons to go there, but their service has been excellent, the service managers are as well, and the parts guys give a military discount. Plus, while you wait, you can take out a BMW for a multi-hour test ride.

Chris

For those who do their own service the GS-911 is must, in my case I do oil changes more frequently that every 6000 miles, so the time and money saved by not visiting dealer mounts quickly
You choose how to spend your money but I don't choose to spend my money on oil changes that BMW says aren't needed.

You choose how to spend your money but I don't choose to spend my money on oil changes that BMW says aren't needed.

Ok, so I think I am hearing this. If we always do our own light maint. at the 6K, 12K etc intervals, we all do save money, however......we lose those savings each time we bring the bike in to get the servcie light reset ($35.00).....which would be free if the dealer does the service, that we all just did ourselves. So the $400 cost of a GS-911 does very little to actually pay for itself over time, just clearing service reminder lights, when we do the service. So I am leaning towards the post where someone said the GS-911 can check for electronic faults, and if you get a big fault on a trip and the bike wont start as a example, the GS-911 could actually clear the fault and get you going again. I would say that with this example, the GS-911 actually has more value in getting you out of a possible emergency, then a product that just saves a bit of money for clearing service codes and such. So my next questuion is, I am told a random fault that shuts the bike down on 2010 and newer BMW's is now a very rare occurance. Older than 2010, it happens more often. So if I have a newer Bike, I cant justify the GS-911, but if I have a older bike, the GS-911 would be a must have ?

Ok, so I think I am hearing this. If we always do our own light maint. at the 6K, 12K etc intervals, we all do save money, however......we lose those savings each time we bring the bike in to get the servcie light reset ($35.00).....which would be free if the dealer does the service, that we all just did ourselves. So the $400 cost of a GS-911 does very little to actually pay for itself over time, just clearing service reminder lights, when we do the service. So I am leaning towards the post where someone said the GS-911 can check for electronic faults, and if you get a big fault on a trip and the bike wont start as a example, the GS-911 could actually clear the fault and get you going again. I would say that with this example, the GS-911 actually has more value in getting you out of a possible emergency, then a product that just saves a bit of money for clearing service codes and such. So my next questuion is, I am told a random fault that shuts the bike down on 2010 and newer BMW's is now a very rare occurance. Older than 2010, it happens more often. So if I have a newer Bike, I cant justify the GS-911, but if I have a older bike, the GS-911 would be a must have ?

IMHO it's not a must have unless you plan to keep the bike a long time and do your own maintenance. It's a nice to have just like that flat fixing kit in your bike. You may never use it but if you do need it, you'll be glad it's there. That being said, I have used my gs-911 a few times more than my flat fix kit. Just to reset codes after I installed accessories.

If you do your own maintenance and keep the bike (or stay with BMW) for a few years the GS-911 isn't hard to justify IMHO. Service reminders (my dealer gets $50-$60), properly bleed your ABS system (GS-911 and spreedbleader you're done in no time) and a few other things see here http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/function-chart#K52. Knowing what a problem is, huge. The $400 model can do service reminders for up to 10 bike, so go in on it with others. Down the road you can upgrade to the pro (unlimited number of bikes) if needed.

I got mine when they first came out, its become more useful to me as enhancement are released at no extra charge (at least for now).

Jay

I also use mine as a "peace-of-mind" tool.
Check the fault codes, reset the throttle bodies, reset/check the other parameters... before I head out on my overnighter/away from home trips. That gives me a little bit warmer fuzzy feeling as I roll past the city limit sign.

Kinda like having your own tire changer. You don't have to wait till the dealer is open or wait for an appointment. If have the mind to, you can steal out into the garage in your underwear in the middle of the night to set your bike up for your next adventure.

A man can't have too many tools! :dance

Continue GS-911 thread

I'm going to bump this thread with a question which I haven't been able to answer by searching this forum or others. I have the older GS-911 that works with BlueTooth and USB cable connection to my laptop and Samsung tablet. I've used it many times on my '09 RT and then a '12 RT. I'm about to buy a 2015 1200GSW. Will it still work with the wet-head bikes or do I need to spring for the new "WiFi" version of the GS-911. I'd be really bummed out to have to buy another.

Al

I'm going to bump this thread with a question which I haven't been able to answer by searching this forum or others. I have the older GS-911 that works with BlueTooth and USB cable connection to my laptop and Samsung tablet. I've used it many times on my '09 RT and then a '12 RT. I'm about to buy a 2015 1200GSW. Will it still work with the wet-head bikes or do I need to spring for the new "WiFi" version of the GS-911. I'd be really bummed out to have to buy another.

Al

The Wetheads need the newer red GS911 unit.
I think they have a $300 unit that connects to a laptop with a USB cable.

What Samsung tablet do you have that can be connected to a yellow GS911 using a USB?

Back