Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GS-911 Value

GS-911 Value

I am new to the Forum, so I will already assume this has been discussed somewhere before, so I am tossing out a big sorry in advance here. So here is my question. On newer Bmers, the 6K service, 12K service and so on, can be done by ourselves for those with the skill set and being able to research how to do the valves, brake flush and so on, and having the applicable tools. So that is good, and the GS-911 can help with that to reset the servcie reminder, bleed the brakes and so on. However, the newer bikes still have to be brought in to the dealerships at these intervals, to download any latest and greatest software from BMW. None of us can do that for sure. So when you get down to it, if the bike must be brought in at the servcie intervals for the software checking, upgrading, and downloading anyway, what is the real value of doing the service ourselves, and having the GS-911 system ? My dealer wants $98.00 to do the 6K service, which includes the software stuff, and resetting the servcie reminder. If I do the 6K myself and then bring the bike in for just the servcie reminder to be cleared, it will cost me $40.00, and if I go that route the 6K is done, the service reminder is cleared, but no computer downloads and so on are performed. I guess what I am trying to say is, if we all have to go in anyway at these intervals for the software, it seems like a lot of work to do it all ourselves, and yet not have any software upgrades in the end, so why not just take the bikes in at the servcie intervals, and not spend $399 + on a GS-911 ? Kinda long windered here. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by gsa5 View Post
    I am new to the Forum, so I will already assume this has been discussed somewhere before, so I am tossing out a big sorry in advance here. So here is my question. On newer Bmers, the 6K service, 12K service and so on, can be done by ourselves for those with the skill set and being able to research how to do the valves, brake flush and so on, and having the applicable tools. So that is good, and the GS-911 can help with that to reset the servcie reminder, bleed the brakes and so on. However, the newer bikes still have to be brought in to the dealerships at these intervals, to download any latest and greatest software from BMW. None of us can do that for sure. So when you get down to it, if the bike must be brought in at the servcie intervals for the software checking, upgrading, and downloading anyway, what is the real value of doing the service ourselves, and having the GS-911 system ? My dealer wants $98.00 to do the 6K service, which includes the software stuff, and resetting the servcie reminder. If I do the 6K myself and then bring the bike in for just the servcie reminder to be cleared, it will cost me $40.00, and if I go that route the 6K is done, the service reminder is cleared, but no computer downloads and so on are performed. I guess what I am trying to say is, if we all have to go in anyway at these intervals for the software, it seems like a lot of work to do it all ourselves, and yet not have any software upgrades in the end, so why not just take the bikes in at the servcie intervals, and not spend $399 + on a GS-911 ? Kinda long windered here. Sorry.
    I am sure that did not include parts.

4L of oil@18.00 L 72.00

Oil Filter 22.00

Crush washer 3.00

So you have 97.00 parts.
    And Labor 98.00

So 195+ dollars for a oil change.

I will pay them a 1/2 hour labor and let them upgrade my software.

My 15 has not been touched since the 600 mile communication with the Mother Ship.

Runs just fine. I know I am not on the latest revision but I am OK with that. I feel as long as my bike runs fine with no error codes life is good.

How often do you think software changes?
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

Quote Originally Posted by gsa5 View Post
    if the bike must be brought in at the servcie intervals for the software checking, upgrading, and downloading

My dealer wants $98.00 to do the 6K service, which includes the software stuff, and resetting the servcie reminder. .
    It's not required to bring the bike in for software updates every 6,000 miles.
    If the bike is running good I don't like the idea of a software update. The latest update is not always the best.
    On our K1300S bikes neither bike ever had a software update.
    On our current bikes a calibration was done to help improve the gear shift assist. Before they could do the calibration on the GSA the computer had to download the latest update.
    The calibration helped but the computer update caused both bikes to show a low oil warning when the oil is at the middle of the window.

If the $98 is parts and labor and you are within a hour or two of a shop, not sure I would bother with a GS911.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

2017 GSA. At the 600 mile mark, I was told two downloads / upgrades were needed. Today, at the 6K mark, about four months later, I was told two more were pending. The other issue is, (as I am told) is once the mothership is plugged in, she will also be reviewing how the bike itself is doing, and will do "correction" / "adjustments" at the same time it is downloading all the latest software into the bike. I do like your idea of just keeping it simple and no worrying about all the downloads. Still not sure the GS-911 has a $400 vaule in all this however.

For those who do their own service the GS-911 is must, in my case I do oil changes more frequently that every 6000 miles, so the time and money saved by not visiting dealer mounts quickly

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    For those who do their own service the GS-911 is must,
    I'm 180 miles from Kansas City or Iowa City so I do as much service as I can on our 2 bikes and it does not take long to pay for a GS911.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

My understanding is that software updates are billed to the customer at the current labor rate. A "required" update sounds like it should be a warranty item, free to the customer regardless of who has done the routine maintenance work. Absent a problem, I'd be questioning why an update is necessary, or if it is just padding the bill.
    Last edited by lkraus; 10-06-2017 at 01:48 AM.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

The first time things get a bit wonky (tech term) and the bike just seems not quite right, or a symbol appears on the instrument cluster, a GS911 is a great asset. You check for faults yourself - then decide if a fix is in your pay grade or you must go to the dealer. A couple of these instances more than pays for the diagnostic tool.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    My understanding is that software updates are billed to the customer at the current labor rate. .
    Software updates to add options like ABS Pro, or Hill Start are billed to the customer.
    If I walk in with a bike still in warranty and ask for the latest software update I have the feeling I would be billed.

When I was asking about the rough shifting Shift Assist I was not billed for the calibration or software update.
    Last edited by Lee; 11-05-2017 at 12:48 AM.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

[QUOTE=Lee;1105994]Software updates to add options like ABS Pro, or Hill Start are billed to the customer.
    If I walk in with a bike sill in warranty and ask for the latest software update I have the feeling I would be billed.

When I was asking about the rough shifting Shift Assist I was not billed for the calibration or software update.[/QUOTE

And a GS-911 allows you to reset the transmission for a re learn.

No two ways about it if you turn your own wrench a GS-911 pays for it's self in short order.

This going to a dealer to turn a nag light off for 40.00 is cheap and petty and I think there should be a class action suite brought to halt this raping of BMW owners. To me it is just like saying if you do not use our oil you will loose your warranty. You are being held hostage to a dealer who you just paid 22K for a bike. IMHO it is not truly a functioning bike when a nag light comes on you can not turn off.

MY Honda Accord has one but I can turn it off and reset it when I do my oil change. If it is not acceptable on a car why is it on a bike?

Total BS!
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

If you're lucky, you can find a used GS-911 for considerably less cost.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Long Walk

I changed spark plugs and didn't torque one properly and one backed out. I reseated the plug, but bike decided I'd go no farther. Pushed the bike 1/4 mile to a farm, called the wife, called BMW and they picked it up the following day. Dealer cleared the fault code and bike was all better. If I'd had a GS911 I would have saved all that hassle.

Had the BEST dealer experience of my life today.

We were out for a ride and ended up stopping in just to see what was going on.

Well first the place was redone and is just beautiful! BMW and Triumph shall never meet. The made the building so one of the brands was on each end and various other types of areas in between. Just a really nice setup.

So anyway my bike is a 15. It has not had a computer hooked to it since the 600 mile back in 15.

So I ask Service hey how much would you charge me to update my bike. He quoted me a price I just could not believe it was so nice. So my next question is well can you do it for me now. He says yea we will do it for you.

So they updated my bike from all 15 software to all 17 software. All 9 modules needed updated. They then took it out to do the transmission relearn and gave me the print out of updates and my very reasonable bill.

If you want a honest, courteous, well educated service and sales see these guys for sure. I will drive the distance to them if I can not do something myself.

You can find them here:
    https://hermys.com/

When I asked if there was anything I would notice they just grinned at me and said well as old as your software was who knows. I did notice my AVG. fuel mileage over about 65 miles went up almost 1 gallon. Really did not notice anything else at this point. I would guess I am good to go for another 2 years or so

So even though you have a GS-911, you need to go and get software updates

However that said great experience and all if you are doing your own work you need to have a GS-911.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    Had the BEST dealer experience of my life today........
    Okay, give..... how much?
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Okay, give..... how much?
    25.00 + 1.60 tax for 26.50

Now my bike is under warranty so that may have something to do with that, but it was a deal I jumped on.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17